PDA

View Full Version : Vegas Day 1 Report: MGM (long)

2planka
04-03-2005, 05:27 AM
After a long five hour flight with a screaming baby two rows in front of me, the Trout party arrived at MGM to find that our suite was not yet ready.... at 12:00 a.m. local time (3:00 Trout Standard Time).

Checked the bags and decided to check out the MGM poker room. What a room! It is very modern, with a serpentine layout on the lower level. Lots of space between tables, and the tables are high tech, with auto shufflers, seating charts, and floor communications built in electronically. The color scheme and decor are right out of Architectural Digest - deep chocolate, silvers, and burgundy colors. Huge plasma TV's are plentiful, and the electronic board is a big improvement over the clipboards at other rooms.

I'm not crazy about the Corian/faux marble runner around the outside of the tables, mainly because the color scheme makes it tough to see if an opponent has cards (the runner is the same color as the cards.... maybe MGM shoud change the color of the cards?).

Also, the room is located near a nightclub. The music was very loud - so much so that I couldn't hear my cell phone ringing at the table. The eye candy passing by made up for this somewhat.

I was pretty tired, having been up for 22 hours already, so I decided on 4-8 limit HE to pass a little time. I get TT in the BB on my first hand, flop a set, turn a boat, and get three customers. Next time in the BB I hold J9o, six limpers, and I end up making quad jacks and get paid off in two spots. The game was a great mix of a couple drunks, a couple hotshots, and a couple magoos. Typical 4/8, 5-6 loose passive players to most flops, willing to chase away, playing their cards only. Logged a 4 hour session, up over $200.

Off to the crib for three hours, then back to the MGM room to play the baby NL game with my buddy Stan. Very loose, decent game, with a good lineup of young bucs with deep pockets. Would have been a great game if I could catch some cards. Cold decked for the first hour. I get caught on a semibluff with A8s. I fire a half pot bet when the flush misses, and my opponent calls with K high (?). MHIG, and the advertising gets me a little action later on.

Meanwhile, my buddy Stan burns through $200 over five hours. His AQ gets run down by Q5s. His AA gets popped by 75o. There's this one kid at the table who open raises to $25 any time he has a pocket pair (the blinds in this game are 1-2). Stan catches QQ, Mr. Overbet makes it $25 to go, and Stan and puts the kid all in. Kid holds 55 and spikes his 2 outer. Stan heads off to play craps. I'm ahead just $85 or so and need a change.

I get on the list for the 10 game and get seated next to Jim Brier, co-author of Mid limit HE, on my immediate right. He's there checking out the room, slumming with us at the 10 game. He's a very pleasant guy and enjoys table chat.

About three hours in, Jim puts the suckout on me. Five players to the flop. I'm on the button with A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif and limp in. Flop is 7s/3d/4h. Checked to Jim. He bets, I raise, BB and MP1 cold call, Jim calls. Turn is As. I lead out, all call. River is the 8s. I bet, two callers, Jim raises, I think about reraising but chicken out and call. Jim shows Js9s for a backdoor flush. I lose a big one.

I get it back a couple hands later when my Q7s BB special flops an open ended draw that gets there on the turn.

The game was much tougher than the FW 10 game. Along with Brier, there were 4 other solid players - players much better than me.

I did my best to avoid them, but I kept catching cards on this one guy's blind. He was in the 8 seat. I catch JJ with only one limper in front and raise. 8 seat guy pipes up "are you gonna raise my blind every time?" Flop is all babies and MHIG. After the hand, the autoshuffler jammed and the dealer couldn't get the door open. Dealer asks if anyone has a key or something to open the door. Mr. 8 seat reaches into his pocket and pulls out an 8" long buck knife, which does the job. I apologize for raising his blinds.

Fellow 2+2er Gator stops by my table. He's been crushing the 1-2 NL game. We were planning to hit Binions together for their 8:00 tourney, but we're both just too tired. We plan on meeting in the MGM room later.

I had some swings in the 10 game, and frankly the competition was over my head. I was getting pretty tired, so I checked out of the game around 6:30 p.m. I rack up $583, down $17.

Room service, a hot shower, and four hours in the crib and I'm ready to hit the tables again. What day is it?

youtalkfunny
04-03-2005, 05:58 AM
Nice post.

2planka
04-03-2005, 07:26 AM
Had a couple other thoughts at breakfast.

Dealer quality was so-so. There were some excellent dealers, but there are a lot of rookies dealing at MGM, too. One dealer gave me hands even though I had a Big Blind marker following a trip to the can. He did this twice. In a row.

This same dealer also forgot to rake the flop for his entire rotation. This was good for us.

Most of us were patient with this guy, but he caught some guff from one of the locals. Rather than apologizing or explaining that he was new, or even just keeping his yap shut, the dealer chirped back at the guy. After that, his push couldn't come soon enough.

Another dealer kept misplacing the button. She'd move the button, square and cut the deck, then move the button again. Odd. Her tray was light on her push, so she's probably in some hot water.

Several of the locals I played with at the 10 game think MGM will cater mostly to the NL ring player. The board proved this out yesterday. There was one 20 game, one 10, game, and one 6 game going. By contrast, there were at least five 1-2 NL games, a couple of 2-5 NL's, a 5-10 NL, aand the big 10-25NL upstairs. I suppose it's a business decision to carve a niche for the room. NL ring is on the rise, and there are other rooms nearby for mid limit games.

Back to the tables.

Photoc
04-03-2005, 03:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
There was one 20 game, one 10, game, and one 6 game going.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you mean 10/20 Holdem or 2-10 stud? If its holdem, I assume the 20 game is 20/40 HE and 6 is actually 6/12?

tpir90036
04-04-2005, 12:02 PM
Good report. One nitty comment:

[ QUOTE ]
Cold decked for the first hour.

[/ QUOTE ]
Getting crappy cards is not even close to the same thing as being cold decked. Lots of people use this phrase incorrectly and it bothers me for some reason. I leave it as an exercise for the reader to find out the difference.

OK, I am done being a dork. Looking forward to some more reports.

2planka
04-04-2005, 12:11 PM
Point taken. I was getting crappy cards.

Luv2DriveTT
04-04-2005, 01:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]

About three hours in, Jim puts the suckout on me. Five players to the flop. I'm on the button with A 7 and limp in. Flop is 7s/3d/4h. Checked to Jim. He bets, I raise, BB and MP1 cold call, Jim calls. Turn is As. I lead out, all call. River is the 8s. I bet, two callers, Jim raises, I think about reraising but chicken out and call. Jim shows Js9s for a backdoor flush. I lose a big one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there anyone besides me who find's Jim's actions on the flop odd? Its VERY un Brier-like.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

grandgnu
04-04-2005, 08:03 PM
Glad you had a good time, cool that you met the guy from Card Player, but man what a suckout!

2planka
04-04-2005, 08:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there anyone besides me who find's Jim's actions on the flop odd? Its VERY un Brier-like.

[/ QUOTE ]

?

Maybe he knew I was in over my head in this game? Dunno.

hyde
04-04-2005, 10:14 PM
Quote:
"Dealer asks if anyone has a key or something to open the door. Mr. 8 seat reaches into his pocket and pulls out an 8" long buck knife, which does the job. I apologize for raising his blinds."

beautiful

Luv2DriveTT
04-04-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

?

Maybe he knew I was in over my head in this game? Dunno.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could it have been an imposter?

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif