PDA

View Full Version : Evaluating stud ante structure

vulturesrow
04-03-2005, 02:55 AM
tonight I played stud for the first time online, very fun. Did quite well. I have seen discussion in here about what sites have a good structure and which dont. Are their percentages that are "right"?

For example, I played tonight at poker plex at 1/2. Its a .25 ante with a .50 bring in. (they also dont give the bring-in the option to complete, is that normal?) How would you evaluate this structure?

Thanks guys.

Andy B
04-03-2005, 03:33 AM
That's a high ante structure, but fairly standard for on-line $1/2. I am of the opinion that the bring-in is too big. Ideally, the bring-in should be around 1/3 of the small bet, and a 1/4-SB bring-in is better than a 1/2-SB bring-in. A smaller bring-in stimulates action in two ways. First, it encourages limping. Secondly, it encourages early raises, as you can there is a significant difference between calling $1 and $3. The difference between calling $2 and $4 isn't as great.

Some general guidelines for evaluating a game's ante structure, with the ante in parentheses:

Low ante: $5/10 ($.50), $10/20 ($1)
Medium ante: $3/6 ($.50), $15/30 ($2), $30/60 ($5)
High ante: $1-5 ($.50), $75/150 ($15), $100/200 ($25)
Over-ante: $.50/1.00 ($.25)

Incidentally, I think that the structure for $30/60 is the ideal structure for stud.

Lower limit games tend to have a smaller ante structure because those players don't need to be coerced into gambling. A good high-limit player would tend to sit back and wait for a hand--if there weren't something on the order of a full big bet in seed money. I think the main reason that some small games have higher-than-necessary antes is to make the pot bigger so that they can get more rake.

timmer
04-03-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

For example, I played tonight at poker plex at 1/2. Its a .25 ante with a .50 bring in. (they also dont give the bring-in the option to complete, is that normal?) How would you evaluate this structure?

Thanks guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

well if it is 8 Handed you are playing a game where the forced money is 2.25 times the big bet this is an very fast structure. At this limit it is akin to a crap shoot in the short term.

Variance will be very high.

SittingBull
04-03-2005, 05:34 PM
Hence,for a conservative player,this structure is ideal. 15% to 20% of SB is medium ante;20% to 25% is high; over 25% is approaching a crap shoot game. /images/graemlins/frown.gif
SittingBull

tkevinh
04-03-2005, 05:40 PM
Hello vulturesrow

I've also recently taken up stud games. I tried Paradise where there're many good multi-table tourneys, but their low limit ring games are strange. Even though there's no ante, they are extremely tight. Maybe I was sitting at very weird table, but I played 30 hands and there were never more than two players seeing 5th street. Since I like small antes, because I'm tight, and since I also prefer to be the only tight player at a table, I didn't even check out Party (see the thread about low limit stud at Party), but went straight to Royal Vegas. They have a $0.05 ante / $0.25 bring-in structure for the $0.5/$1 tables, which suits me just great. Also, the table I was sitting at was loose, but not insane in any way. I had a blast and left with a good little sum. They don't have stud 8/b, though, which is sort of annoying, and the software won't win any awards.

Cheers,

BlueSmurf

Andy B
04-03-2005, 07:01 PM
The lack of an ante is going to lend itself towards tight play, as there's nothing to fight over.

chesspain
04-03-2005, 07:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thanks guys.

[/ QUOTE ]

well if it is 8 Handed you are playing a game where the forced money is 2.25 times the big bet this is an very fast structure. At this limit it is akin to a crap shoot in the short term.

Variance will be very high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Then what would you think of the following:

At a fringe site geared more towards Europeans, I sat in on the 1/2 stud game which had an ante of $.50 and a forced bring-in of $1.00! Not surprisingly, at least 60% were seeing 4th street.

I realized after a couple of hours of play that this format was a mega crap shoot.

Drunk Bob
04-04-2005, 08:36 AM
Why do you think it is strange that it is tight with no ante. Why not wait for AAA.

Kinda boring but a sure way to clear the bonus. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

PoorLawyer
04-04-2005, 12:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think it is strange that it is tight with no ante. Why not wait for AAA.

Kinda boring but a sure way to clear the bonus. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

try the 1/2 game at paradise. everyone loosens up and there is some real poor play. I think it is the same structure as party though?

timmer
04-06-2005, 11:04 PM
One good thing about these tightly structured games is that they give you the chance to practice your heads up play. After you get good at it you can play more hands than you normally would given the structure because you can outplay your opponents after the fact heads up. Even in a normally structured game these improved skills will give you an increased edge. However be carefull as you might find yourself playing against a very good hand or another good headsup player. But at Paradise no ante game that isnt very likely.... Unless their handle is ----------.

timmer