PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Website Help

IggyWH
04-03-2005, 02:48 AM
I'm making a website about myself and my dumbass friends... about all the stupid [censored] we do. I registered a domain name and bought a hosting package from godaddy.com. My problem though is I've never done this stuff on my own so I'm clueless on a lot of things.

I uploaded a file to my webspace and named it index.html. How do I get my site to point to that file when someone types in thr URL?

nothumb
04-03-2005, 02:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Poster: IggyWH
Subject: Re: Need Some Website Help

I'm making a website about myself and my dumbass friends... about all the stupid [censored] we do. I registered a domain name and bought a hosting package from godaddy.com. My problem though is I've never done this stuff on my own so I'm clueless on a lot of things.

I uploaded a file to my webspace and named it index.html. How do I get my site to point to that file when someone types in thr URL?

[/ QUOTE ]

Should do it automatically. However, if you uploaded, say, a picture, and named it an HTML file, that's a problem. What you need to do is create the index and save it as an HTML file on your CPU, view it to make sure it looks right, and then upload that file (and any files it calls on in the code, like images) to your webspace.

NT

jason_t
04-03-2005, 02:59 AM
For almost every web server out there, especially the popular ones (Microsoft's and Apache) the default is index.html and you should not have to do anything. Just upload your files and it should work.

IggyWH
04-03-2005, 03:00 AM
I created a file on my hdd and named it index.html and then uploaded it to my webspace. I just keep getting the 404 page though when I try to type in my url or type in url/index.html.

Is there a waiting period before things like this take effect?

nothumb
04-03-2005, 03:03 AM
Ok, but have you viewed the file on your HD to make sure it works?

Also, I know with my webspace (college provides it) there is a separate directory when I go to FTP stuff in called /webspace or something like that, which doesn't appear in the URL but is used when uploading files. Don't know if that's the case here.

NT

IggyWH
04-03-2005, 03:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, but have you viewed the file on your HD to make sure it works?

Also, I know with my webspace (college provides it) there is a separate directory when I go to FTP stuff in called /webspace or something like that, which doesn't appear in the URL but is used when uploading files. Don't know if that's the case here.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

The html file on my hdd runs just fine for me so that's not the problem.

I once had a webspace and it had a seperate folder called HTML and that's where I put all my crap in. That was setup by someone I used to know though and had no clue how he set it up.

IggyWH
04-03-2005, 03:21 AM
As an update to my original post...

The files are uploaded and when I view them thru IE when on my FTP account, they work fine. When I type in the URL though, I get a custom 404 page. WTF?!?!