PDA

View Full Version : Most beautiful ballpark

jason_t
04-03-2005, 02:44 AM
A lot of these should not receive any votes (Metrodome) but I include them all for sake of completeness. And I don't care what the ultimate results say, but Yankees Stadium is hideous.

istewart
04-03-2005, 02:50 AM
Can't really vote because of a lack of experience. I hear Camden and Jacobs are up there, though. And the Pirates/Giants parks.

MrFeelNothin
04-03-2005, 02:58 AM
I voted for Wrigley for both, but I've only been to Miller, Wrigley, Giants-SBC, Safeco, Camden, Fenway, Coors, Kaufman and the DOME(my hometown park and definitely my last place vote). Fair amount I guess, but I am missing out on Yankee Stadium, PETCO, Jacobs Field and some others.

Vince Young
04-03-2005, 03:02 AM
Wrigley, with Yankee Stadium being the only one anywhere close.

M2d
04-03-2005, 03:04 AM
SBC is gorgeous, but its score goes way down because some graffiti artist (I assume) went around and painted ugly orange "SF"'s and script "Giants" all over the place. Management refuses to remove them,as well. a yard that pretty should only be graced by beautiful white "LA"'s with a blue background.

jason_t
04-03-2005, 05:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Can't really vote because of a lack of experience. I hear Camden and Jacobs are up there, though. And the Pirates/Giants parks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of the stadiums that I have been to (LA, LAA, Busch, Wrigley, Camden, Citizens Bank, Coors, Metrodome, Yankee) the most beautiful are Camden and Dodgers Stadium and the most beautiful of the classic ballparks is Wrigley.

Chairman Wood
04-03-2005, 05:10 AM
I love the waterfalls at the KC ball park. Out of nostalgia I voted for Tiger Stadium for the Old School Ballpark. Just beautiful with so many fond memories. For others though, it was the ballpark that the movie 61 was filmed at. Billy Crystal thought it was even a bette stadium for the film than Yankee Stadium because it remained more in touch with what older ballparks were like than Yankee Stadium after all the changes.

NLSoldier
04-03-2005, 05:19 AM
Who is the idiot that voted for the metrodome, it SUCKS. Oh wait, it was me, and im drunk, GO TWINS!

CardSharpCook
04-03-2005, 05:21 AM
I have been to more than my fair share (LA, Both Anaheims, Both SFs, Oakland, Arizona, Both Houstons, KC, Old San Deigo - will get new SD this summer, Chi Cubs, Detriot, Montreal, Toronto, Both Pittsburgs, Old Cinny, Both Phillys, NYY, NYM, Atl, Cleveland, New Baltimore, Boston, St. Louis, and.... well, that may be it. And getting Nationals this year too) From my exeperience, Camden and PNC are the best of new wave. Pacbell is damn fine too, but Camden and PNC are a cut above for the new ones. Born and raised a Dodger fan, Dodger stadium really is a classic ballpark with Palm trees and hills in the background - very beautiful, but it still loses to Wrigley. Fenway is a classic, but not a classic beauty. Comerica in Detriot is a first class stadium as well. Worst stadiums - St. Louis, old Cincy, old Pitts, Veteren's, Montreal (the friggin seats face the outfield, not home plate). Other honorable mentions include Anaheim and Turner field (very similar parks - both built in the LA style). The juicebox in Houston is nice, but it doesn't say "baseball" to me. Also have been to a small number of spring training parks, and the best I've seen is Holman Stadium in Vero Beach (dodgers).

CSC

Tyler Durden
04-03-2005, 06:13 AM
I voted for Camden Yards as well, but I might be biased b/c I'm an Orioles fan.

Just curious, why do OOTers (out of towners, in this case) love this park? Is it just one thing, or a combination of the park's features? Thanks much.

jason_t
04-03-2005, 06:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I voted for Camden Yards as well, but I might be biased b/c I'm an Orioles fan.

Just curious, why do OOTers (out of towners, in this case) love this park? Is it just one thing, or a combination of the park's features? Thanks much.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll try my best to articulate my feelings here.

For me, it's a combination of a few things. The park itself is beautiful. It's made of steel instead of concrete (the 60s were a disaster in baseball park construction) and is modeled after classic parks rather than being sleek and modern. The brick facade is awesome. The sunroof is awesome. The grass is beautiful. It blends into that part of Baltimore. In fact, the way the park is integrated with that old warehouse, and the rest of the city is awesome. The entrance/pavillion behind centerfield welcomes you into the park. It cozily sits there at the end of 395(?) and isn't surrounded by a giant parking lot so it doesn't feel isolated from the rest of the city. The view of Baltimore from the park is beautiful (esp., if I am remembering correctly, from right field). I get the same feeling I get going to Camden that I get going to, say, Central Park in NYC. Central Park gives me a feeling of comfort being surrounded by a nice city, but at the same time being in a peaceful park away from the chaos of the city. One of my best friends lives in Balitmore and I return to the park every time I get the chance.

Jack of Arcades
04-03-2005, 06:39 AM
Top 5...

1a. Camden
1b. Pac-Bell
3. Kauffman
4. PNC
5. Wrigley

Turner Field is underrated.

Tyler Durden
04-03-2005, 06:52 AM
Cool, thanks. But what's the sunroof you're talking about? And which brick facade?

jason_t
04-03-2005, 06:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Cool, thanks. But what's the sunroof you're talking about? And which brick facade?

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a sunroof over the upperdeck. It's quite classy.

The arched brick facade at the front(?) of the park.