PDA

View Full Version : a question about strategy

stokken
04-03-2005, 02:18 AM
yesterday I played in a pokerstar wsop qualifier. 1 seat guarantee. About 400 entrants. With about 100 left I was chipleader with 68k. Alot of players were at 30k,but not any higher. This has been a problem for me in earlier tournaments as well, if in this position I always tend to go bust before reaching the final stages. I feel it is to early to wait my way, letting other stacks cath up-I want to keep my edge. However I restrict my self to quality hands and position ie superthight, but will play hands and try to attack small stacks, ofcourse assessing the opposition.But good hands only come around so often. Is there a gap in theory somewhere? In tournaments the "long run" doesnt occur in sequal hands and bad beats do occur frequently. Sometimes sending u heads out or leaving u with a wothless stack.So here goes; 2 off the button I hold TT, sb and bb are small stacks about 6k each, blinds are 300 the button is a thight player with about 12k, and to my emediate left a loose player with 22k who has just doubled up in an all in with 55 against jj, hitting his set on the turn. The table has been unbroken the last hr and I feel I have good understanding of the table.I am folded to and raise 5bb. All but my lefthandplayer folds. Flopp comes low cards rainbow, I bet pot and get called. Turn a 2.I bet pot now, he raises all in as expected. Turns over a-j and is in bad shape. Alas the river comes an a and I loose the hand. My play was based on the knowledge of the opponent and he would have raised earlier with any kind of hand, but all the way he had major flukes and would almost never fold to a bet. Few hands later I am in sb with 77 nd call. Only 1 limper and bb in the hand, no raises. Flopp comes qc,2 c, 7s. Checked to I raise 2k. And the bb raises 6k, knowing he would have raised me preflopp with any pair, most likely all in, at best he has two pairs or is on a draw. With the last bad beat fresh in memory I am a bit vendictive and go all in. He calls showing me a flush draw his hand t, 3c. The river comes c and I am disgusted. What then? bad beats? Flaws in my game. This has happened alot of times where I am in a good position stack wise, but there is still sometime to the final stages. Adjustments? HELP