PDA

View Full Version : When would effective odds be used in limit hold'em?

JC21
04-03-2005, 01:59 AM
I'm reading TOP for the first time, and I have a question about effective odds. Rather than calculate the number of total bets in later rounds and add up the final pot, isn't it always easier to just calculate the immediate pot odds? All I'd have to do is compare the immediate pot odds to the odds of hitting my draw on each street. I suppose in no limit, a player could go all in, so the odds of making your hand at the end would be more useful. But in terms of pot odds, what is the point of trying to predict future bets in limit poker?

tek
04-03-2005, 01:00 PM
You might not have pot odds now to draw, but if you are fairly certain others will stay on later streets and add to the pot if you make your draw, then you can stay in.

SheridanCat
04-05-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You might not have pot odds now to draw, but if you are fairly certain others will stay on later streets and add to the pot if you make your draw, then you can stay in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you've actually defined implied odds here. Effective odds are the real odds being offered when there is more than one card to come.

These odds are applied in limit hold'em when you are calculating the odds of making your hand by the river when you've seen the flop. You do take into account the expected size of the pot on later rounds when using these odds to decide whether to continue.

Sklanksy describes how this works clearly on pages 50-51 of Theory Of Poker. There was also a detailed discussion of this topic here recently that involved AngryCola. It should be searchable in the archives.

Regards,

T