PDA

View Full Version : Why do I hate college?

SmileyEH
04-03-2005, 01:24 AM
I go to one of the best schools in the country, have lots of friends, but I hate my classes and the social life is retarted.

Anyone else feel the same way or remember feeling this way?

-SmileyEH

Edge34
04-03-2005, 01:26 AM
Classes: I end up hating a lot of my classes. But then again, its class. There's always something I'd rather be doing.

Social Life: Can't help you too much - there's nights when it sucks around here, but then there's nights that totally kick ass too. It balances out.

So I guess to answer "Anyone else feel the same way?", I'd have to say "sorta, sometimes."

istewart
04-03-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I go to one of the best schools in the country

[/ QUOTE ]

Expand. For some reason DeVry comes to mind. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

SmileyEH
04-03-2005, 01:28 AM
I go to Amherst.

-SmileyEH

jason_t
04-03-2005, 01:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I go to one of the best schools in the country, have lots of friends, but I hate my classes and the social life is retarted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just start hooking up more. You'll feel better.

Dead
04-03-2005, 01:30 AM
Your post says something different now. /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I was going to quote it, but now I'll just agree with whatever you said before.

SmileyEH
04-03-2005, 01:31 AM
hooking up is a big part of why I think the social life is retarted.

-SmileyEH

Lazymeatball
04-03-2005, 01:32 AM
I would list Amherst as one of the most prestigious/difficult schools to get into, but it certainly doesn't crack top 25. Good school, but I guess "best" is a subjective term. It ain't no DeVry

zokbarjazz
Re: Why do I hate college?

[ QUOTE ]
I go to Amherst.

[/ QUOTE ]

A: You're surrounded by Republicans?
(I went to Wesleyan /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

istewart
[ QUOTE ]
I go to Amherst.

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

I looked at Amherst. I looked at Williams. And I can fully understand why you don't like it. You're too far away from civilization.

zokbarjazz
04-03-2005, 01:33 AM
Amherst is definitely one of the top 5 liberal arts institutions in the US.

SmileyEH
04-03-2005, 01:34 AM
Amherst is probably top 10 if you look at entering SAT averages, prof. teacher ratio, accpetance rate etc.

-SmileyEH

gumpzilla
04-03-2005, 01:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Re: Why do I hate college?

A: You're surrounded by Republicans?
(I went to Wesleyan /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just going to leave the "I go to Amherst" alone, since it needs no further explanation at that point.

istewart
04-03-2005, 01:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would list Amherst as one of the most prestigious/difficult schools to get into, but it certainly doesn't crack top 25. Good school, but I guess "best" is a subjective term. It ain't no DeVry

[/ QUOTE ]

Eh, for liberal arts colleges it's way up there.

Lazymeatball
04-03-2005, 01:37 AM
Top liberal arts school, sure I'll give you that. I don't put much value on liberal arts personally, and as for Top schools overall, US News doesn't have Amherst in the top 50. They do list Amherst as #2 in Lib Arts.

Edge34
04-03-2005, 01:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I go to one of the best schools in the country

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
retarted.

[/ QUOTE ]

apparently spelling isn't their strong suit?

I'm in one of those moods tonight, sorry to be a nit /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SmileyEH
04-03-2005, 01:38 AM
they are ranked seperately

-SmileyEH

gumpzilla
04-03-2005, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll jump on the bandwagon here and ask what the hell you mean here. What's your metric for deciding what the top 25 schools are? Ph.D.s produced? The prominence of various athletic departments? The level of intelligence associated with the most intelligent people who go there?

SmileyEH
04-03-2005, 01:39 AM
physics major + 8 tabling /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-SmileyEH

zokbarjazz
04-03-2005, 01:41 AM
That's because schools are only ranked in one category; either "national universities" or "liberal arts", not both.

But anyway, back to Smiley's post. Do you think any of it has to do with being stuck in the middle of absolutely nowhere? I know being in western mass would drive me crazy.

Lazymeatball
04-03-2005, 01:42 AM
I'm going with US News on my rankings. Look it up yourself.

istewart
04-03-2005, 01:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you think any of it has to do with being stuck in the middle of absolutely nowhere? I know being in western mass would drive me crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, exactly. Amherst is bleh.

gumpzilla
04-03-2005, 01:43 AM
There's a pretty substantial difference between the Amherst/Northampton area and Williamstown, I'd say. There are plenty of people, I'd imagine, who'd do fine in the former who would absolutely hate the latter, and vice versa. Most people I know who've spent time near Amherst actually like it quite a bit.

Lazymeatball
04-03-2005, 01:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That's because schools are only ranked in one category; either "national universities" or "liberal arts", not both.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, that makes more sense to me. Either way, I'll take Nat Uni over Lib Art.

Dead
04-03-2005, 01:44 AM
Ok, you have the bigger e-penis.

SmileyEH
04-03-2005, 01:45 AM
I grew up in a town of 5000, 5 hours away from the nearest city (500k). But I did hate it. So maybe-probably not though. I liked my freshman year (sophmore now).

-SmileyEH

jason_t
04-03-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your post says something different now.

I was going to quote it, but now I'll just agree with whatever you said before.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I wasn't sure what I wanted to say. I'll repost it.

SmileyEH
04-03-2005, 01:47 AM
I hate Northampton with a passion for some reason.

-SmileyEH

ceyoung
04-03-2005, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
physics major + 8 tabling /images/graemlins/smile.gif

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

doesn't being a science major at amherst make all the liberal arts rankings moot?

jason_t
04-03-2005, 01:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't go to one of the best schools in the country. But I had a ton of friends, I loved the classes in my discipline and hated the rest and the social life was awesome. Never again in my life will I meet so many interesting people, have the chance to make so many good friends, and be able to hook up with so many different girls. College ruled.

I hated high school and think that life after college sucks. Graduate school is very meh.

SmileyEH
04-03-2005, 01:50 AM
surprisingly the physics department is probably one of the best on campus.

I dont hate Amherst specically, just college in general I think.

-SmileyEH

gumpzilla
04-03-2005, 01:53 AM
It's not specifically a ranking of liberal arts programs at various colleges; it's a ranking of small colleges. You'd be surprised at how kickass the science programs are at these various schools.

istewart
04-03-2005, 01:58 AM
Just kiss the ground that you're not at Wesleyan.

FoxwoodsFiend
04-03-2005, 02:00 AM
I go to Yale and all of my friends have had the same problems from time to time. The girls are ugly, the parties are boring, and most of the people are giant power-hungry douches. But at the end of the day, we meet more interesting people than we would otherwise and I have the feeling that if you went to a big state school, like UT-Austin or Michigan you'd be even more miserable based on the people you're surrounded by. The fact is that whatever school you go to, assuming it is one of the top schools, is probably worth the loss of giant parties and party animals, though it's hard to realize that when you've never had to spend 4 years in a frat-based, normally uninteresting enivronment.

[ QUOTE ]

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

Just checked out the thread-sorry my post isn't about the relative merits of Amherst, which is a perfectly fine institution. Either way, I know lots of people from Amherst who pretty much feel the same way about their school as I do about Yale.

istewart
04-03-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The fact is that whatever school you go to, assuming it is one of the top schools, is probably worth the loss of giant parties and party animals, though it's hard to realize that when you've never had to spend 4 years in a frat-based, normally uninteresting enivronment.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I've heard similar, yet good things, about Yale, this is not even close to true for all Ivies. Especially where suburban kids + parents money = you can guess.

zokbarjazz
04-03-2005, 02:02 AM
Do tell your beef with Wesleyan.

edit: /hijack

istewart
04-03-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Do tell your beef with Wesleyan.

edit: /hijack

[/ QUOTE ]

lol, you go there?

gumpzilla
04-03-2005, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But at the end of the day, we meet more interesting people than we would otherwise and I have the feeling that if you went to a big state school, like UT-Austin or Michigan you'd be even more miserable based on the people you're surrounded by.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt it. I think going to a good school gives you a better average, but even if a smaller percentage of people are "interesting" at larger schools, there are enough of them to make up for it. Plenty of super smart people go to state schools because a) they can't or are not willing to pay for a better name brand, b) they could not bring themselves to give even the slightest damn about high school. My current roommate falls into the latter category.

3rdEye
04-03-2005, 02:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]

-SmileyEH

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't go to one of the best schools in the country, but I have the LSAT/GPA to get into the best law schools in the country, and the feelings you describe are part of the reason why I'm rethinking the notion that I "have" to go to Harvard Law or another similar school. I don't know that it's worth it to leave behind my family and very good friends.

zokbarjazz
04-03-2005, 02:31 AM
lol, you go there?

[/ QUOTE ]

class of 2004. i'm curious as to what you're "outside" perspective of the school is. (seriously). also, where did you go?