PDA

View Full Version : Official Big Ten pride thread (aka MSU vs UNC thread)

Cubswin
04-02-2005, 09:15 PM
MSU!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clarkmeister
04-02-2005, 09:27 PM
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/msu/galleries/m-baskbl-031204/g-izzo2_031204-lg.jpg

Clarkmeister
04-02-2005, 09:43 PM
Alright. I just looked at the sidelines and see Deputy Dawg on one end and Izzo on the other. I like Sparty's chances.

nolanfan34
04-02-2005, 09:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Alright. I just looked at the sidelines and see Deputy Dawg on one end and Izzo on the other. I like Sparty's chances.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://saljournal.hawkzone.com/images/041203/ku.roy.jpg

Clarkmeister
04-02-2005, 09:51 PM
Quick foul on May.

Vince Young
04-02-2005, 09:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Official Big Ten pride thread (aka we don't want Illinois to have to play UNC thread)

[/ QUOTE ]
Fixed your post.

Schneids
04-02-2005, 09:53 PM
For the record I like MSU's chances.

Clarkmeister
04-02-2005, 09:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(aka we don't want Illinois to have to play UNC

[/ QUOTE ]

Silly rabbit.

Cubswin
04-02-2005, 09:55 PM
(aka we don't want Illinois to have to play UNC thread)

shhhhh.... dont blow my cover

Thythe
04-02-2005, 09:57 PM
I'm all about MSU. If they win, I'm guaranteed in the money for my pool.

JinX11
04-02-2005, 09:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
UNC!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed your post.

Cubswin
04-02-2005, 10:00 PM
So am i... hope this link to my bracket works....

linky (http://games.espn.go.com/tcmen/html/view?entryID=2797565&entryIDFrom=2797565)

Clarkmeister
04-02-2005, 10:07 PM
Typical uninspired UNC play IMO. They are the better team but I get the feeling they are going to let MSU hang around. Anything can happen here.

JinX11
04-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Maybe you missed the past three dunks in a row, all three coming off great passes. Maybe UNC just plays a style different than you enjoy...?

Clarkmeister
04-02-2005, 10:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe you missed the past three dunks in a row, all three coming off great passes. Maybe UNC just plays a style different than you enjoy...?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I have nothing against them or their style. I've said all year long they, along with Illinois, were head and shoulders above the rest of the teams in D-I. I also think they play sloppy and it's easy to disrupt their guards with pressure. But that doesn't mean I don't think they are good. I've repeatedly said they are.

Clarkmeister
04-02-2005, 10:22 PM
Sparty looking good. I may bet them in the second half. MSU is a sight better than Bucky and UNC looks lackluster for the 3rd game in a row. MSU might well be able to finish what Nova and Bucky couldn't quite.

JinX11
04-02-2005, 10:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Official Big Ten pride thread....

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is the part where I start soapboxing....

Big Ten'ers: Please stop taking the great season of Illinois and great run of Michigan St / Wisconsin in the tourney and applying it to the Big Ten as a whole. Please remember: this conference is still the one with Penn St., Purdue, Michigan, Northwestern, all of which had losing season records. And Iowa had absolutely no business in the tourney.

It's just absurd to take the success of a couple of Big Ten programs, individual programs, and apply it to the conference as a whole. If anything, Illinois' great season is a testament to the lack of parity in the Big Ten - that's not taking anything away from Illinois, which has clearly been the best team in the nation this season.

Do have pride in Illinois. Do have pride in Michigan State. Do not have pride in the Big Ten, which was an extremely mediocre conference this season.

Clarkmeister
04-02-2005, 10:27 PM
The problem is that all objective evidence (record both in the tournament and against out-of-conference tournament teams by tournament teams) suggests that the Big Ten was not "extremely mediocre". Rather, that the Big East and Big 12 were.

New001
04-02-2005, 10:31 PM
The league also sent Minnesota to the tournament, Ohio State would have gone had they been able to, and Indiana had a very strong case as well. The bottom half was bad, but those teams also had to play at least two of the nation's best during conference play.

Clarkmeister
04-02-2005, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/msu/galleries/m-baskbl-031204/g-izzo2_031204-lg.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

35-27

Schneids
04-02-2005, 10:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For the record I like MSU's chances.

[/ QUOTE ]

mason55
04-02-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Please remember: this conference is still the one with Penn St., Purdue, Michigan, Northwestern, all of which had losing season records. And Iowa had absolutely no business in the tourney.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ohio St. would have made the tourney as well, they had a decent team this year.

Also, what conference do you think is the best? I bet ANY conference you name had teams with losing records because, gasp, they all play each other and someone has to lose.

ACC has FSU and Virginia. Big 12 has Colorado, Mizzou, and Baylor. Big East had Providence, St. John's, Rutgers, and Seton Hall. Pac 10 had Cal, USC, Oregon and WSU. SEC had Georgia, Mississippi and Auburn.

Clarkmeister
04-02-2005, 10:41 PM
The funniest is that if 2-3 ACC teams had made the FF, it would have been insufferable listening to them. When the shoe's on the other foot, "it doesn't mean anything". /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Clarkmeister
04-02-2005, 10:43 PM
Typical dumb UNC play to end the half taking up a terrible shot with 15 secs on the shot clock when they could've held for the final shot. That kind of dumb stuff is what will be their downfall if they lose, which looks like at least a 55-45 chance right now.

Izzo>>>Deputy Dawg

DangerGoodson
04-02-2005, 10:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Official Big Ten pride thread....

[/ QUOTE ]

And this is the part where I start soapboxing....

Big Ten'ers: Please stop taking the great season of Illinois and great run of Michigan St / Wisconsin in the tourney and applying it to the Big Ten as a whole. Please remember: this conference is still the one with Penn St., Purdue, Michigan, Northwestern, all of which had losing season records. And Iowa had absolutely no business in the tourney.

It's just absurd to take the success of a couple of Big Ten programs, individual programs, and apply it to the conference as a whole. If anything, Illinois' great season is a testament to the lack of parity in the Big Ten - that's not taking anything away from Illinois, which has clearly been the best team in the nation this season.

Do have pride in Illinois. Do have pride in Michigan State. Do not have pride in the Big Ten, which was an extremely mediocre conference this season.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't think they let retards post past 4.

Schneids
04-02-2005, 10:46 PM
Taking MSU before the game started was 52-48 IMO and IMO right now it's more like 60-40.

Cubswin
04-02-2005, 10:48 PM
is that you dukie vitale???

JinX11
04-02-2005, 10:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, what conference do you think is the best?

[/ QUOTE ]

Best performance in the tourney? - Big Ten (not even close)
Best performance for the entire season? - ACC (again, not even close)

[ QUOTE ]
I bet ANY conference you name had teams with losing records because, gasp, they all play each other and someone has to lose.

ACC has FSU and Virginia. Big 12 has Colorado, Mizzou, and Baylor. Big East had Providence, St. John's, Rutgers, and Seton Hall. Pac 10 had Cal, USC, Oregon and WSU. SEC had Georgia, Mississippi and Auburn.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the rundown. You probably noticed while conducting your research that the ACC has proportionately less than the others. Ironic, considering that the ACC ended with 3 Top-10 ranked teams.

My point is more or less that taking a individual program's performance and applying it to the conference as a whole is just dumb. However, this is done by Big Ten'ers, ACC'ers, and everyone else.

If UNC wins it all, does that mean the ACC did the best in the tourney? No, of course it doesn't.

JinX11
04-02-2005, 10:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I didn't think they let retards post past 4.

[/ QUOTE ]

Along with your general basketball knowledge, this shows just how much you know.

JinX11
04-02-2005, 10:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is that you dukie vitale???

[/ QUOTE ]

God, I hate Duke. I'm with you on this one, though. I firmly believe that Vitale would bend over at a moment's notice if Coach K asked him to.

Clarkmeister
04-02-2005, 10:59 PM
You're nervous aren't you. No fair being quiet until UNC makes their run. Stand up for your boys.

DangerGoodson
04-02-2005, 10:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

JinX11
04-02-2005, 11:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're nervous aren't you. No fair being quiet until UNC makes their run. Stand up for your boys.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not nervous...yet. UNC has a bad habit of trailing at the half...7 of last 8 games or something like that.

Don't displace your own nervousness, Clark - feeling a little uneasy about your boys' great season coming to an end against UNC???? Oooooh, wouldn't that just taint the whole thing!

JinX11
04-02-2005, 11:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[/ QUOTE ]

We'll just have to agree to disagree. However, most basketball experts, who are to varying degrees more unbiased than you or me, agree that the ACC had the best regular season. I pointed out several sources (Sagarin, AP Top 25, USA Today Top 25 to name a few) out to you in last week's thread, none of which you refuted.

In any event, glad I provide comic relief for you.

Clarkmeister
04-02-2005, 11:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not nervous...yet. UNC has a bad habit of trailing at the half...7 of last 8 games or something like that.

Don't displace your own nervousness, Clark - feeling a little uneasy about your boys' great season coming to an end against UNC???? Oooooh, wouldn't that just taint the whole thing!

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, two things, both honest and from the heart.

1. Losing would be unfortunate, I'd be angry, sad, disappointed, etc. But it's more than I expected coming into the year which was an E8 finish. It wouldn't taint it. It wouldn't be as shiny obviously, but it wouldn't be tainted.

2. I think our on the ball pressure would give Carolina fits. While I'd obviously rather play a team we beat handily on their own home court, I'm not scared of Carolina by any means. I think we are a nasty tough matchup for them and could/should win even though UNC is obviously a very good team. Plus, MSU is playing real well right now and they are familiar with us which is always a tough thing against a coach of Izzo's calibur.

JinX11
04-02-2005, 11:06 PM
And just that fast, UNC takes the lead.

DangerGoodson
04-02-2005, 11:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
feeling a little uneasy about your boys' great season coming to an end against UNC???? Oooooh, wouldn't that just taint the whole thing!

[/ QUOTE ]

that defeats your whole "season as a whole means more than the big dance" point, you fish.

Clarkmeister
04-02-2005, 11:07 PM
Actually, during the regular season, most experts thought the Big East was the strongest conference. They were wrong.

Cubswin
04-02-2005, 11:09 PM
However, most basketball experts, who are to varying degrees more unbiased than you or me, agree that the ACC had the best regular season.

... and 60% of these basketball 'experts' live within a 2 hour drive of the atlantic ocean

JinX11
04-02-2005, 11:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Well, two things, both honest and from the heart.

1. Losing would be unfortunate, I'd be angry, sad, disappointed, etc. But it's more than I expected coming into the year which was an E8 finish. It wouldn't taint it. It wouldn't be as shiny obviously, but it wouldn't be tainted.

2. I think our on the ball pressure would give Carolina fits. While I'd obviously rather play a team we beat handily on their own home court, I'm not scared of Carolina by any means. I think we are a nasty tough matchup for them and could/should win even though UNC is obviously a very good team. Plus, MSU is playing real well right now and they are familiar with us which is always a tough thing against a coach of Izzo's calibur.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I'll tell you something honest and from the heart, too: Illinois makes me nervous. Dee Brown is underrated. He could shut Felton down completely.

I'd love to see that game, though.

JinX11
04-02-2005, 11:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]

that defeats your whole "season as a whole means more than the big dance" point, you fish.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your sarcasm meter needs adjusting. And let Clark speak for himself. He makes considerably better points than you.

Clarkmeister
04-02-2005, 11:12 PM
It's a barnburner now. Good stuff.

DangerGoodson
04-02-2005, 11:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
However, most basketball experts, who are to varying degrees more unbiased than you or me, agree that the ACC had the best regular season.

... and 60% these of basketball 'experts' live within a 2 hour drive of the atlantic ocean

[/ QUOTE ]

I bet a lot of those 'experts' voted in the end of the regular season ap poll that had 3 ACC teams in it. Funny.

JinX11
04-02-2005, 11:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually, during the regular season, most experts thought the Big East was the strongest conference. They were wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big East did have a good regular season; Sagarin has them picked 2nd. There is a debate to be had there.

The performance of Big East teams in the tourney (which yes, DangerGoodson, is part of the entire season), kinda screws that argument, though.

JinX11
04-02-2005, 11:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I bet a lot of those 'experts' voted in the end of the regular season ap poll that had 3 ACC teams in it. Funny.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for providing your mere speculation. Do you have anything substantive to add?

JinX11
04-02-2005, 11:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's a barnburner now. Good stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's getting a little out of hand.

Clarkmeister
04-02-2005, 11:23 PM
True. MSU has missed some great looks and missed on some 2nd chance opportunities while they haven't gotten almost any stops at the other end.

Clarkmeister
04-02-2005, 11:27 PM
Sparty needs a good 3-4 minutes here to work it to like 5-6 for the strech run.

DangerGoodson
04-02-2005, 11:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for providing your mere speculation. Do you have anything substantive to add?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, you love the cock and that's not mere speculation.

JinX11
04-02-2005, 11:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, you love the Cocks and that's not mere speculation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed your post.

Yes, I attended the University of South Carolina.

DangerGoodson
04-02-2005, 11:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, you love the cock and that's not mere speculation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I attended the South Carolina School of the Retarded. - .

[/ QUOTE ]

Fixed your post.

Clarkmeister
04-02-2005, 11:47 PM
Alright. Down 15 with just over 4:00 to go. Can we see two of those miracles in under a week?

Clarkmeister
04-02-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Alright. Down 15 with just over 4:00 to go. Can we see two of those miracles in under a week?

[/ QUOTE ]

JinX11
Wow...the originality.

So, as I'm watching UNC beat another Big Ten opponent, I did realize I was wrong on something. It seems the Big Ten and ACC are actually very close in tourney performance.

Big Ten record: 12-4
ACC record: 11-4

Hmmm...which would mean if UNC beats Illinois on Monday night, the ACC would also have done better than the Big Ten in the tourney, right?

Your argument that the Big Ten >> ACC gets weaker and weaker.

Clarkmeister
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

14. Doh.

11. Yay!

Clarkmeister
04-02-2005, 11:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Time for a little "Rally Izzo".

JinX11
04-02-2005, 11:55 PM
The dream lives on....

UNC beats Wisconsin in the Regional Finals. ---CHECK---
UNC beats Michigan St. the National Semis. ---CHECK---
UNC beats Illinois in the Finals.
I rag every Big Ten supporter on 2+2 for a long, long time.

Clarkmeister
04-02-2005, 11:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I rag every Big Ten supporter on 2+2 for a long, long time.

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is that we all feel vindicated already. Surprisingly so since, in my case, I agreed with those who slammed the Big Ten. My only disagreement was that somehow the "down" Big Ten detracted from what Illinois had accomplished. I'm quite content that the Big Ten has silenced those who claimed it was like the 6th best conference this year as that is clearly false now.

Cubswin
04-02-2005, 11:59 PM
Hmmm...which would mean if UNC beats Illinois on Monday night, the ACC would also have done better than the Big Ten in the tourney, right?

Yes... but keep in mind all these 'experts' think this is a down year for the big ten.

Cubswin
04-03-2005, 12:00 AM
Yes, I attended the University of South Carolina.

Im sorry... we all cant get into real schools

Clarkmeister
04-03-2005, 12:01 AM
BTW, if Illinois beats UNC, then Illinois will have beat UNC and Wake while MSU will have dispatched Duke. So it's not like it couldn't go the other way on you, though I'd be so happy about Illinois winning that I wouldn't give a rats-ass about the ACC or the Big Ten. I just hope to get so lucky.

Michael Davis
04-03-2005, 12:02 AM
I'm glad the 'Cuse is in the championship. I don't much like MSU.

-Michael

Clarkmeister
04-03-2005, 12:03 AM
Alright. Time to retire my bad luck MSU avatar and bring back the CHIEF.

Clarkmeister
04-03-2005, 12:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm glad the 'Cuse is in the championship. I don't much like MSU.

-Michael

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

JinX11
04-03-2005, 12:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

My only disagreement was that somehow the "down" Big Ten detracted from what Illinois had accomplished.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with you here. You can't argue with Illinois' record.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm quite content that the Big Ten has silenced those who claimed it was like the 6th best conference this year as that is clearly false now.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm...this is where you start to lose me. Maybe the conference should not be ranked 6th specifically, but just because a couple of the individual Big Ten programs have done exceedingly well, it doesn't erase how the others did.

In my opinion, to say the Big Ten had a great year is a complete discredit to the season Illinois is having. It's insulting.

New001
04-03-2005, 12:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's just absurd to take the success of one ACC program, an individual program, and apply it to the conference as a whole. If anything, UNC's great season is a testament to the lack of parity in the ACC - that's not taking anything away from UNC, which has clearly been the second best team in the nation this season. Dick Vitale, I want your babies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clarkmeister
04-03-2005, 12:09 AM
So other than the ACC, what conference has had a markedly better year? I submit that none have.

JinX11
04-03-2005, 12:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Im sorry... we all cant get into real schools

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

mikeyvegas
04-03-2005, 12:10 AM
I'll be honest, i was just happy to see State beat Duke. The final four was icing. What a great run for the seniors.

It should be a great game on Monday. Good luck Clark.

JinX11
04-03-2005, 12:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's just absurd to take the success of one ACC program, an individual program, and apply it to the conference as a whole. If anything, UNC's great season is a testament to the lack of parity in the ACC - that's not taking anything away from UNC, which has clearly been the second best team in the nation this season. Dick Vitale, I want your babies.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

First, Dick Vitale is a Dookie, dude, not a Tarheel.

Thank you for illustrating precisely what is NOT my point. Go look at the ACC's representation in the Top 25 (3 Top 10 teams), their overall records, their strength of schedule, Sagarin, etc. for justification for the entire conference.

EDIT: actually, 3 Top 6 teams.

EDIT EDIT: also, throw in the ACC teams' tourney performance, as well. Right at the top of all conferences where its a two-horse race between Big Ten and ACC.

Clarkmeister
04-03-2005, 12:18 AM
Thanks. I'll take all the help we can get.

JinX11
04-03-2005, 12:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
So other than the ACC, what conference has had a markedly better year? I submit that none have.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

MarkL444
04-03-2005, 12:20 AM
you ganked my avatar!

/images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Clarkmeister
04-03-2005, 12:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
you ganked my avatar!

/images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

We both used it for the game to try and get your boys home. Sadly, it wasn't enough. We tried though.

MarkL444
04-03-2005, 12:27 AM
at least baseball starts tomorrow /images/graemlins/laugh.gif. still, 13 hours at the bar well spent.

GO ILLINI!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

New001
04-03-2005, 12:28 AM
Dick Vitale doesn't care if it's Duke blue or powder blue, he just cares that it's big, blue, and in his behind.

JinX11
04-03-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dick Vitale doesn't care if it's Duke blue or powder blue, he just cares that it's big, blue, and in his behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe he just loves good basketball.

Clarkmeister
04-03-2005, 12:32 AM
I disagree. He far far prefers Dook. So much so that I'm embarassed for him.