PDA

View Full Version : Shark or Lion?

cold_cash
04-02-2005, 08:47 PM
My buddy and I somehow got on this subject, and I wanted some other opinions.

Assume you must choose one of these two scenarios:

Scenario A

You are treading water in the ocean 50 yds from shore. There is a shark in a cage 100 yds behind you.
When a whistle is blown, the shark is released and you are free to swim toward shore.

Basically you have a 100 yard head start.

Scenario B

You're standing in a field 50 yds from safety.
There is a lion tied up 50 yds behind you.
When a whistle is blown the lion is released and you are free to run toward safety.

Basically you have a 50 yard head start.

Assume the following factors:

1. Each animal will pursue you to the best of its ability.
2. If you cannot outrun or outswim the animal you've chosen, there is no other way to defeat or 'outsmart' it.
3. If you're caught you can still fight to make it toward safety.
4. If you're caught the animal you've chosen will try to eat/kill you like you were the last meal on earth.

Which one would you rather be placed in?

ThaSaltCracka
04-02-2005, 08:50 PM
B

JackWilson
04-02-2005, 08:52 PM
I have no info on the shark, but a fit and strong human male will definitely be able to outrun a lion over a short distance with a 50yd headstart.

lorinda
04-02-2005, 08:56 PM
Lions aren't the world's speediest animals, but they are fast. Top lion speed is between 36 mph and 50 mph, put to good use when a lion is chasing down its prey (http://www.jsonline.com/alive/news/dec03/194042.asp)

"But when they are chasing food or escaping enemies, some can swim very fast, up to forty miles per hour." (http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/JenniferPuglia.shtml)

After reading these two links, and assuming I run something like 15 times faster than I swim, I take the lion, although it is very shark-type-dependent.

Lori

mason55
04-02-2005, 09:04 PM
a good swimmer can do 50 yards in 28 seconds or so. shark can go 25 miles per hour. you get caught with 10-20 yards left.

a good sprinter could do 50 yards in 6 seconds or so. lion can run 35 mph. which means that he can run ~100 yards in 6 seconds. if you can run 50 yards in under 6 seconds you will escape the lion.

if you post on 2+2 i'm assuming you can neither swim, nor run at any appreciable speed, therefore we're all [censored].

jakethebake
04-02-2005, 09:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lions aren't the world's speediest animals, but they are fast. Top lion speed is between 36 mph and 50 mph, put to good use when a lion is chasing down its prey (http://www.jsonline.com/alive/news/dec03/194042.asp)

"But when they are chasing food or escaping enemies, some can swim very fast, up to forty miles per hour." (http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/JenniferPuglia.shtml)

After reading these two links, and assuming I run something like 15 times faster than I swim, I take the lion, although it is very shark-type-dependent.

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

it was assumed you can't outrun or outswim the animal. it's assumed you'll be caught. so it comes down to which you;d rather fight. i take the shark.

mason55
04-02-2005, 09:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

it was assumed you can't outrun or outswim the animal. it's assumed you'll be caught. so it comes down to which you;d rather fight. i take the shark.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong.

2. If you cannot outrun or outswim the animal you've chosen, there is no other way to defeat or 'outsmart' it.

ZeeJustin
04-02-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
it was assumed you can't outrun or outswim the animal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misread the original post.

ZeeJustin
04-02-2005, 09:09 PM
Are we to assume that the animals are equally and highly motivated to attack you? This is crucial IMO.

tbach24
04-02-2005, 09:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Lori

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even though this wasn't the point of the post, I would rather fight off a lion over a shark due to the fact that you have much less mobility in water and they can attack you from more places. Also, it's easier to panic in water.

fsuplayer
04-02-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are we to assume that the animals are equally and highly motivated to attack you? This is crucial IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you missed the original post.

[ QUOTE ]
4. If you're caught the animal you've chosen will try to eat/kill you like you were the last meal on earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huhmare
04-02-2005, 09:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]

1. Each animal will pursue you to the best of its ability.

Which one would you rather be placed in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lion definately.. Human wouldn't stand a chance against a shark, but one could possibly get to safe when pursued by a lion. I would hate to be killed by a shark.

thirddan
04-02-2005, 09:28 PM
if i get caught before the safetly line can i continue to head towards the safety line? i mean will the animal let go if i make it to the line, even if caught me?

if so, i would rather fight the lion for a couple more yards to make it to safety, not much chance of swimming to freedom with a shark eating both my legs...

thirddan
04-02-2005, 09:30 PM
"I would hate to be killed by a shark. "

i agree, i can't think of a worse way to die than by being eaten by a wild animal...

fimbulwinter
04-02-2005, 09:39 PM
i'm glad the voting has reflected how ridiculously easy this is.

fim

jakethebake
04-02-2005, 09:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
it was assumed you can't outrun or outswim the animal.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you misread the original post.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think so too. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hermlord
04-02-2005, 10:01 PM
"Contrary to what most people say, the most dangerous animal in the world is not the lion or the tiger or even the elephant. It's a shark riding on an elephant's back, just trampling and eating everything they see."
--Jack Handy

"So the caterpillar has emerged from it’s cocoon as a shark, with a gun for a mouth"
--Mr. Burns

JinX11
04-02-2005, 10:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"Contrary to what most people say, the most dangerous animal in the world is not the lion or the tiger or even the elephant. It's a shark riding on an elephant's back, just trampling and eating everything they see."
--Jack Handy

[/ QUOTE ]

nh

daryn
04-02-2005, 10:11 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
Human wouldn't stand a chance against a shark,

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not sure that's true. i have heard if you hit a shark with a good blow to the nose they will leave immediately. i can't think of ANYTHING you can do with a lion on your hands.

that said, i'll take the lion, since you can cover the distance faster.

Huhmare
04-02-2005, 10:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not sure that's true. i have heard if you hit a shark with a good blow to the nose they will leave immediately. i can't think of ANYTHING you can do with a lion on your hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about escaping. Human could never swim 1/3 of sharks speed. Human would get caught. Then again I'm quite sure there would be a decent chance of beating the lion in the run.

WEASEL45
04-02-2005, 10:21 PM
B
i cant swim

Chairman Wood
04-02-2005, 10:24 PM
Your abitity to fight off the Lion on land is much better compared to your ablity to fight off the Shark in Water. You're a land based animal for crissakes! You're out of your element!

mason55
04-02-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I was talking about escaping. Human could never swim 1/3 of sharks speed. Human would get caught. Then again I'm quite sure there would be a decent chance of beating the lion in the run.

[/ QUOTE ]

Read my post, I did the math. If you're REALLY fast you could beat the lion.

daryn
04-02-2005, 10:37 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
B
i cant swim

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously? this is another thing i NEVER understood. how can't everyone swim? it's not like i ever LEARNED how to swim. i just got in the water and moved my arms, trying to keep myself afloat. it's totally natural. someone help me out here

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
04-02-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
B
i cant swim

[/ QUOTE ]

seriously? this is another thing i NEVER understood. how can't everyone swim? it's not like i ever LEARNED how to swim. i just got in the water and moved my arms, trying to keep myself afloat. it's totally natural. someone help me out here

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. do these people never think to go swiming? i dont understand.

yoshi_yoshi
04-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Lion for sure. But I think the chances of survival would depend a lot on what happens when you reach the point of safety. Does the lion just disappear when you cross the 50yd plane? Then, even if he catches you with 5yds to go, your momentum will carry you over and just end up with some nasty bites.

ZeeJustin
04-02-2005, 10:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you missed the original post.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're caught... does not imply the animal will be motivated to catch you.

Ianco15
04-02-2005, 11:19 PM
Fighting a lion is sure death. A lion is so strong, it would snap your neck in seconds. I don't see how you could defeat a lion. You could defeat a shark if you punched or kicked it really hard in the nose or mouth.

TimM
04-02-2005, 11:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your math takes into account top speed of the animal, but neglects acceleration.

TimM
04-02-2005, 11:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You could defeat a shark if you punched or kicked it really hard in the nose or mouth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Without scuba gear you will have no chance. The first sign that you should stop swimming and start fighting will be when one of your legs is bitten off.

mason55
04-03-2005, 12:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Your math takes into account top speed of the animal, but neglects acceleration.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok... so if you're pretty fast you could beat the lion

SCfuji
04-03-2005, 12:40 AM
assuming the lion and shark approach me at the same rate, i can run faster than i can swim (although i am a pretty good swimmer) so i choose to be eaten by the lion.

jason_t
04-03-2005, 12:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I also can't swim. If I get in the water and move arms trying to keep myself afloat, I don't. I need lessons.

zagosh
04-03-2005, 12:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
--Jack Handy

"So the caterpillar has emerged from it’s cocoon as a shark, with a gun for a mouth"
--Mr. Burns

[/ QUOTE ]

"Weaseling out of things is what seperates us from the rest of the animals, except the weasel"
--Homer Simpson

(P.S. I'd rather outswim the lion.)

ibankonu
04-03-2005, 01:00 AM
B

I would say with at least 95% confidence that I could get that 50 yards before the lion could run his 100.

Leo99
04-03-2005, 01:08 AM
I figure sharks are more skittish than lions. If you can get one good shot in with the shark, it might swim away. One good shot with the lion and it might just get madder at you. Also, the shark might just eat an arm or leg and leave you alone. The lion will disable you first and then eat you. The lion will go for the jugular. The shark will go for the limbs.

Allinlife
04-03-2005, 01:16 AM
B is my choice. shark @ water has much bigger edge in terms of speed/power vs Lion @ land

TimM
04-03-2005, 01:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The shark will go for the limbs.

[/ QUOTE ]

"This shark, swallow you whole. No shakin', no tenderizin', down you go."

bholdr
04-03-2005, 01:21 AM
damn straight daryn...

I am always baffled by people that don't know how to swim...

I'm lik "so what's your plan then- NEVER go into the water?" it's incomprehensible to me that there are people out there walking around to whom falling into a pond/ swimming pool is a deadly threat...

but, i'd bet that of the people that can't swim, 80% of them would learn real quick hen tossed into a lake.

bholdr
04-03-2005, 01:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
a good swimmer can do 50 yards in 28 seconds or so. shark can go 25 miles per hour. you get caught with 10-20 yards left

[/ QUOTE ]

22.3 sec for me.. and i don't even consider myself a fast swimmer. when i was competing, my freinds would regularly run 21s...

that's very boderlins vs a shark w/ a 100 yars head start...

Leo99
04-03-2005, 01:32 AM
I pass this billboard every day with an one armed girl holding a shark bitten surfboard saying, "Me Give Up? Never."

TimM
04-03-2005, 01:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I pass this billboard every day with an one armed girl holding a shark bitten surfboard saying, "Me Give Up? Never."

[/ QUOTE ]

Must not have been a Great White then. But really the question is flawed since there are so many species of shark, some of which wouldn't even try to attack a human.

Punker
04-03-2005, 02:02 AM
"1. Each animal will pursue you to the best of its ability."

3rdEye
04-03-2005, 02:28 AM
I think that one important factor is omitted: If you reach the "safety" mark, can the animal still chase you (e.g., if you reach the 50-yard point before the lion, are you safe)?

That said, I'm going to take my chances with the lion. A human has no chance against a shark in the water.

That said (again), I'm too lasy to research the swimming speed of a shark vs. the running speed of a lion, so perhaps my move is less EV than the alternative.

PokerCat69
04-03-2005, 02:32 AM
Lions don't bite their prey when they first attack, they use their claws. If it did catch up to you, it would leap with its claws out and bring you down 100%.

I'd still personally pick the Lion because there is a chance of out running it.

zagosh
04-03-2005, 02:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My buddy and I somehow got on this subject, and I wanted some other opinions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this after you argued whether or not Batman could take Spiderman in a steel cage match?

Duke
04-03-2005, 02:37 AM
I could run half as fast as the lion.

If the shark were 150 yards from shore, and I were 20 yards from shore, I'd bet on the shark.

~D

Duke
04-03-2005, 02:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
A human has no chance against a shark in the water.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice poker metaphor.

~D

mason55
04-03-2005, 03:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I could run half as fast as the lion.

If the shark were 150 yards from shore, and I were 20 yards from shore, I'd bet on the shark.

~D

[/ QUOTE ]

again, a lion can run 35 mph. If you can run 17mph you really need to get back to the olympics.

M2d
04-03-2005, 03:12 AM
I originally voted "lion" because I think my chances are better to escape it. on second thought, though, I may go with "shark" because it would be over much quicker.

nothumb
04-03-2005, 03:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you can run 17mph you really need to get back to the olympics.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this accurate? I'm not doing any math, cause I'm drunk, but lots of relatively average HS football/track players run a 40 in under 5 seconds, so 50 in 6 isn't THAT crazy.

Given these circumstances I take the lion easily. I think I have a decent shot.

NT

mason55
04-03-2005, 04:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is this accurate? I'm not doing any math, cause I'm drunk, but lots of relatively average HS football/track players run a 40 in under 5 seconds, so 50 in 6 isn't THAT crazy.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

The world record for the 50 is like 5.5 seconds by Maurice Greene. And that's the world record. We're talking 2+2ers here. I bet no one here can run it under 6.

mason55
04-03-2005, 05:00 AM
btw, 6 seconds is EXACTLY 17 mph.

Iplayboard
04-03-2005, 06:19 AM
Just to provoke thought, Ive added a third option.

u have to climb a 100 ft tree.

You start halfway up the tree.

A fierce Gorilla starts at the bottom.

You must climb the tree before the Gorilla does or it will eat you.

Any Takers?

Assume there are adequate foot holds and limbs, giving an advantage to niether speceis.

Kirg
04-03-2005, 07:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
(P.S. I'd rather outswim the lion.)

[/ QUOTE ]

Lions can swim, so I'd rather outrun the shark. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Cyrus
04-03-2005, 10:10 AM
Read the assumptions again. If you have to fight one of the two animals and you want to survive, then I guess you wanna choose the shark. The shark has a couple of blind spots (eg it doesn't lunge at you when you are directly underneath it) and exposed/vulnerable spots (ie eyes). The lion has neither except maybe his balls (his eyes are too close to the mouth, IMO).

All in all, your chances to survive with either animal are a snowball's in hell, but IMO with the shark it's a bigger snowball.

Super Pro
04-03-2005, 10:22 AM
theres simply no way a human can outswim a shark. sharks can swim twice as fast as humans can run and humans run like three times as fast as they can swim. you do the math.

either scenerio you're pretty much [censored]. you can't outrun either but the lion at least you have a glimmer of hope.

partygirluk
04-03-2005, 10:30 AM
This is ridiculous. The speed advantage that a lion has over a human on land in miniscule compared to that of a shark in water. Furthermore, a human would have a chance of taking out a lion, if he/she could land a perfectly placed kick. There is no way a human could incapacitate an adult shark without an artifical aid.

Uglyowl
04-03-2005, 11:12 AM
The lion and not even close. I would get caught at about the ten yard line and hope to make him miss or have our momemtum carry us over the end line.

The key is not to get caught up in his ferocious teeth right away. I think if you can move slightly, you will get side swiped and carried over the end line.

cjhellm
04-03-2005, 11:58 AM
i would choose the lion because the salt water would make being ripped apart even more painful.

Shaman
04-03-2005, 12:16 PM
The tip of a shark's nose has sensors that are very sensitive. If you punch it, the shark will get disoriented. And when you flip the shark on its back it will fall asleep. I take the shark.

BeerMoney
04-03-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The tip of a shark's nose has sensors that are very sensitive. If you punch it, the shark will get disoriented. And when you flip the shark on its back it will fall asleep. I take the shark.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've also seen that they can be put to sleep almost just by massaging or holding on to the nose.. interesting..

However, I'm confident in my ability to beat the lion.

15 mph = 4 minute mile.. 17 mph = not that much faster, and for a very short distance.

tdarko
04-03-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lion definately.. Human wouldn't stand a chance against a shark, but one could possibly get to safe when pursued by a lion. I would hate to be killed by a shark.

[/ QUOTE ]
i voted for the lion as well (b/c i can't swim for [censored]) but i would much rather be caught by a shark than a lion. people have lived through shark attacks people get eaten whole by lions.

tdarko
04-03-2005, 12:36 PM
so why do i see in my paper nearly every morning, "surfer survives brutal shark attack."

Huhmare
04-03-2005, 01:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

The world record for the 50 is like 5.5 seconds by Maurice Greene. And that's the world record. We're talking 2+2ers here. I bet no one here can run it under 6.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think a lion will run 100 yards under 6? NO WAY! It has to accelerate too. If the lion started running 35mph, it would take 6.4 seconds. So under 7 seconds would be a miracle. I remember having ran 50 meters in 6.8s, so it's an easy call. And this 35 mph is propably the Maurice Greene of lions. I don't think all lions run this fast. Normal athletic man would outrun the lion IMO. I consider myself as one, so I'd take the lion.

cold_cash
04-03-2005, 01:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore, a human would have a chance of taking out a lion, if he/she could land a perfectly placed kick.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh, okay. You must kick like a ton of bricks.

(Seriously, I would be willing to bet that we could tie up a lion, making it totally defenseless, and you could kick it until you were physically unable to kick it anymore, and when we untied it, it would laugh at you, and then bite/maul you to death, and then eat you.)

cold_cash
04-03-2005, 01:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Was this after you argued whether or not Batman could take Spiderman in a steel cage match?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it was after this.

(But it was before your mom got there.)

Huhmare
04-03-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Furthermore, a human would have a chance of taking out a lion, if he/she could land a perfectly placed kick.

[/ QUOTE ]

(Seriously, I would be willing to bet that we could tie up a lion, making it totally defenseless, and you could kick it until you were physically unable to kick it anymore, and when we untied it, it would laugh at you, and then bite/maul you to death, and then eat you.)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's insane man. If you kept kicking a lion in the head (shoes on), you could definitely injure it. At least you could kick it in the eyes, so it wouldn't be able to see anything. Also you could kick it's teeth out, so it would not be able to eat you. I don't know how heard headed lions are, but I think a good kicking could lead into a brain damage also.

Of course one could kick it in the balls all day, but it would be unethical. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

cold_cash
04-03-2005, 02:13 PM
Okay... perhaps my example was a bit over-exaggerated, but only to prove my point.

Did you see this quote?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try to argue for that one - I dare you.

Huhmare
04-03-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Okay... perhaps my example was a bit over-exaggerated, but only to prove my point.

Did you see this quote?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Try to argue for that one - I dare you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think trying to kick the lion is a -EV move. One kick only pisses the lion off. I can't see how one kick could take it out.

If the lion reached me, I'd grab it's pawns, preventing it to claw me, and bite it's carotid so ******* hard! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lazymeatball
04-03-2005, 02:38 PM
Wasn't there some kung fu guy who used to just land a single punch on a bull and kill it. I bet he could kill a lion given the opportunity to land a punch. As for the average human being, no chance.

nothumb
04-03-2005, 02:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Risking the wrath of the legislative behemoth that is PETA, I'll take that bet any day.

(Former soccer goalie.... a few kicks to the throat and groin and this lion is DONE.)

NT

wacki
04-03-2005, 02:58 PM
One morning one of my friends was walking back from class when he heard a girl screaming. At first he thought someone was being raped/kidnapped so he ran to help her. Instead a large pitbull was clamped down on her black labs neck. My buddy is a large dude (all state football) and he started pounding the pit on the back of the head trying to get it to let go. He said it was like hitting a brick wall. So he ran over to a wooden fence and kicked a 4' long 2"x2" off of the fence. He used it like a bat and swung at the pit. The pit yelped each time the board landed on its head but didn't let go. After a few swings my buddy actually broke the board on the dogs head. So he kicked out another board and started swinging at the pits legs and ass. This time the pit let go.

zagosh
04-03-2005, 04:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One morning one of my friends was walking back from class when he heard a girl screaming. At first he thought someone was being raped/kidnapped so he ran to help her. Instead a large pitbull was clamped down on her black labs neck. My buddy is a large dude (all state football) and he started pounding the pit on the back of the head trying to get it to let go. He said it was like hitting a brick wall. So he ran over to a wooden fence and kicked a 4' long 2"x2" off of the fence. He used it like a bat and swung at the pit. The pit yelped each time the board landed on its head but didn't let go. After a few swings my buddy actually broke the board on the dogs head. So he kicked out another board and started swinging at the pits legs and ass. This time the pit let go.

[/ QUOTE ]

....at which point my friend was brutaly mauled to a bloddy pulp.

partygirluk
04-03-2005, 04:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How much you willing to bet?

slickpoppa
04-03-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If I saw a pit bull do that, I would grab a huge knife from the kitchen and stab it. Dogs that attack other animals or humans are very dangerous and deserve to be killed. Also, that might be the only effective way to make the pit bull let go. Sometimes pit bulls will not let go until they are almost dead.

Fratony
04-03-2005, 05:12 PM
I would definately go with the lion, my reasoning is that i would be scared as [censored] in both situations and probably be panicing. Panicing in water is definately going to cause me to swim slower and "thrash" more in the water while i would run a hell of a lot faster on land if i was afraid because of adrenaline. Also 4 years ago (in HS) i ran the 40 in 4.6 seconds, so i think i could probably outrun the lion given the head start. In neither situation would i try to "disable" either animal, the chances of hitting a good, well placed shot underwater seems very difficult to me and hitting a lion is just plain stupid.

Dr. Strangelove
04-03-2005, 05:33 PM
There is no way a lion could catch me in 100 yards if I have a 50 yard headstart. I doubt a cheetah could.

Note this is yards. The fastest humans can run 100 yards in 9 seconds.

Also, even if you were ridiculously slow, creatures that are moving very fast, especially large creatures, can't change directions very well, so when it was about to get you and nearing its peak speed you would just run sideways as fast as you can. Then jog into the endzone as it overshoots you.

A shark would get me easy.

This is not even close.

zagosh
04-03-2005, 05:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Also, even if you were ridiculously slow, creatures that are moving very fast, especially large creatures, can't change directions very well, so when it was about to get you and nearing its peak speed you would just run sideways as fast as you can.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ofcourse, RUN SIDEWAYS!!!!! This will definatly work. Im going to the zoo right now to prove this.

Dr. Strangelove
04-03-2005, 05:53 PM
You do that, duche.

FrankLu99
04-03-2005, 06:00 PM
C. Hot supermodel

Matty
04-04-2005, 03:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You think a lion will run 100 yards under 6? NO WAY! It has to accelerate too. If the lion started running 35mph, it would take 6.4 seconds. So under 7 seconds would be a miracle. I remember having ran 50 meters in 6.8s, so it's an easy call. And this 35 mph is propably the Maurice Greene of lions. I don't think all lions run this fast. Normal athletic man would outrun the lion IMO. I consider myself as one, so I'd take the lion.

[/ QUOTE ]Not to mention we're all assuming that every lion can run as fast as the fastest lion.

nbake
04-04-2005, 04:51 AM
This has been the greatest thread ever...I'm sitting here crying from laughing so hard.

Anyway, I would definitely take the gorilla...A well timed leap from the tree onto said gorilla's face would be hella sweet and from 50 feet up would definitely knock it out.

Also, there is no fighting the shark or lion off...They are

[ QUOTE ]
trying to eat/kill you like you were the last meal on earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

The once and future king
04-04-2005, 07:41 AM
A= Lion.

Lions are pussies.

Matty
04-04-2005, 07:44 AM
I think I'm going to start making a list of things to do in case virtual reality machines are invented before I die.

nicky g
04-04-2005, 08:09 AM
"Wasn't there some kung fu guy who used to just land a single punch on a bull and kill it."

Mas Oyama, founder of Kyokushin karate. Not sure he claimed to be able to do this on a regular basis.

nicky g
04-04-2005, 08:12 AM
Example of surfer "fighting off" shark (I know you;re not allowed to under the rules):

Shark victim is heading back to the ocean (http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=14&amp;click_id=14&amp;art_id=vn200504031 40724241C595022)

All I saw was this terrible-looking mouth coming at me and I threw my hands up. I found myself with both arms in his mouth underwater with blood everywhere."

Bovim said at that moment he was convinced he was dying.

"I actually felt very calm; it was an unusual space I was in."

Then adrenaline kicked in and Bovim began a fight for his life.

"I started hitting the shark with my forehead and knees and managed to pull my right arm out of its mouth. My hand appeared to be missing but it actually wasn't - it was just pulled right back."

He then managed to get his left arm out.

"And then I sank because I had filled up with so much water and also because I was wearing a heavy weight-belt."

Bovim knew if he didn't get the belt off he would surely drown but he basically didn't have the use of his hands.

"I actually used a piece of bone in my thumb to manoeuvre the buckle open and then the belt fell off and I floated up."

Terrified the shark would re-appear, Bovin started swimming to shore but still had to battle over kelp beds and rocks before he managed to catch a wave onto the beach.

"What saved me was my doctor, who had drips into me within minutes because she had drips at her home near the beach."

Bovim's injuries were extensive - he needed over 1 000 stitches and still only has 20 percent use of his right hand - but nine months after the attack he was back in the water

Matty
04-04-2005, 08:15 AM
He didn't really fight it off. Sharks usually stop biting once they discover how nasty humans taste.

nicky g
04-04-2005, 08:28 AM
[ QUOTE ]
He didn't really fight it off. Sharks usually stop biting once they discover how nasty humans taste.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hence quotation marks.

The once and future king
04-04-2005, 09:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Actualy they only tast nasty raw.