PDA

View Full Version : flopped two pair

10-21-2002, 02:59 PM
15/30 game- i limp in from middle position with KcQh. Three callers including the blinds. the flop is KhQd and 3h.

Blind bets i raise the lp folds and the blinds call. The turn is the 7h. The small blind bets into me. I have him on a flush. I suspect he has a flush since he is betting into me but i donot know how big. since i am almost positive he has a flush do i call this bet. I did call. The small blind folds. The river is a q giving me the full boat. The bb bets i raise he calls. I win and he says "what a bad beat"

did i play this correctly should i have raised the the turn i dont think i should have but what the hell do i know.

I need your thoughts thanks

Jim Brier
10-21-2002, 03:39 PM
Preflop, you should consider open-raising from middle position with K-Q offsuit. You may drive out the remaining players behind you giving you position over the blinds if they choose to play. You also learn more about the strength of players especially the blinds. When the blinds get free plays they could have virtually anything leaving you in the dark post-flop.

I don't know how you can be so sure the big blind has a flush. He might have a pair with a flush draw or have turned two pair. You also have a flush draw yourself in addition to the top two pair. I would have raised.

10-21-2002, 03:47 PM
thanks jim you are right i was hoping you would be the one to respond

Ginogino
10-21-2002, 03:54 PM
I don't think you can be so quick to put BB on a flush -- there are other combinations of cards that he'd bet the flop and turn with (and given his check pre-flop it's hard to put him on Ace and something relatively big suited in hearts -- I'd think 2pair or a set more likely). Would he lead bet the flop with A and another heart and no pair? The only non-heart on the flop is the queen of diamonds, and you have the queen of hearts (so he can't have it).
If he has two hearts not headed by the Ace, then the turn gives you a draw to a winning flush (as well as the 4 cards that turn your two pair into a boat). In practice, I might simply call the turn, though the more I think about it, the more I think you were ahead on the turn.
Gino

10-21-2002, 04:18 PM
You shouel raise the turn (and probably pre-flop) to eliminate the SB. This is important because there is a strong chance you are winning and that he is on a straight draw and would fold to 2 bets but not 1.

If you can read the BB so well that you know you are chasing, then by all means, call on the turn.

10-21-2002, 04:23 PM
he did have A2 of hearts and that the queen on the river broke his heart.

M2d
10-21-2002, 04:37 PM
In this one, specific case, where your opponent has two hearts headed by the ace, you'll probably get popped back. all other times, (set, lower flush, two pair, etc), you probably won't. I think raising the turn is the thing to do here with your top two/second nut flush draw.