PDA

View Full Version : Sin City- best movie ever

tbach24
04-02-2005, 07:34 PM
Wow, such a great movie. Non-stop action. Wicked hot girls (especially Jessica Alba). Go see it. Now. Stop watching the NCAA tourney. Stop playing poker. Just go see it now. Best movie ever.

For those who have seen it:

One thing I didn't get about parts of this movie were the color symbolism. A lot of times, eyes, hair, lips, shoes, and other things were colored. Everything else was black and white...for those who have seen it, could you explain?

ThaSaltCracka
04-02-2005, 07:39 PM
it looks really cool, has anyone else seen it yet?

mason55
04-02-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it's really good. non stop shooting and titties and a good story

Edge34
04-02-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah it's really good. non stop shooting and titties and a good story

[/ QUOTE ]

Couldn't have said it better myself. Ridiculously good flick.

ThaSaltCracka
04-02-2005, 07:48 PM
damn, I need to see this flick.

tbach24
04-02-2005, 07:50 PM
I want an avatar of Jessica Alba from the movie...does anyone know where i could get one?

fsuplayer
04-02-2005, 07:54 PM
yes, awesome movie. extremely entertaining.

jamie king's tits=flawless.

jessica alba: jeez, i wanna revote of Ms. OOT.

Edge34
04-02-2005, 07:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Foolish people now realize the error of their ways in voting for Ms. Bell to win that contest... /images/graemlins/cool.gif

tbach24
04-02-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Foolish people now realize the error of their ways in voting for Ms. Bell to win that contest... /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

oreogod
04-02-2005, 08:32 PM
Movie rocked. Clive Owens story segement I found to be the best (the one directed by tarantino) -- but [censored] Mickey Rourke had one hell of a story as well.

Elijah Wood gets my vote for most [censored] up movie character in recent memory and he doesnt even talk. Silent, cannibal assasin who shows no emotion.

What a ride though.

oreogod
04-02-2005, 08:34 PM
Oh the color symbolism -- it should be directed on why Miller chose to do it in the books, everything colored in the books is colored in the movie exactly. Probably to bring some snap to the frames, to the scenes -- it just pops. I love this movie.

MicroBob
04-02-2005, 08:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One thing I didn't get about parts of this movie were the color symbolism.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because Quentin wanted to??

Haven't seen it yet but intend to.

Assume he's just being kinda clever.
It's the 'new' Noir.

One could also argue that it draws extra attention to the various areas, etc etc. But I would argue that it's just for general effect.
Not unlike a decision to show a bullet or other scene in slow-motion (or super-fast time-lapse photog motion like traffic or clouds zipping by) instead of just at regular speed.

I'll be interested to see how much I like it as I typically am repulsed by gimmicky cinematography....but I suspect I am going to like what they do with this film a LOT and, without having seen it, I might guess it has a shot for a couple of oscar nominations for editing, cinematography and the like.

fsuplayer
04-02-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mickey Rourke had one hell of a story as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

that segment was one of the most entertaining things i have ever seen.

what a badass.

partygirluk
04-02-2005, 08:38 PM
1234 'IMDb users' have given a weighted average vote of 8.7 / 10

Demographic breakdowns are shown below.
Votes Percentage Rating
798 64.7% 10
183 14.8% 9
133 10.8% 8
44 3.6% 7
16 1.3% 6
4 0.3% 5
2 0.2% 4
10 0.8% 3
6 0.5% 2
38 3.1% 1

Arithmetic mean = 9.1. Median = 10

TStokes
04-02-2005, 08:44 PM
I thought tarantino only directed the part where owen is talking to benicio in the car.

thirddan
04-02-2005, 08:47 PM
this movie is like watching a comic book in motion, the stylized look didn't bother me cuz it made sense. unlike the incredible hulk movie that tried to edit it and do pic in pic which was just awful...

peachy
04-02-2005, 09:15 PM
i liked it alot...as i posted in the other post about this movie /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Number4
04-02-2005, 09:47 PM
Not the best movie ever, but really good. I liked Dwight's storyline the best, but Marv was a close, close second.
Elijah Wood just freaked me out.
And Alba? I can't even put it into words. Good movie - I recommend it.

astroglide
04-02-2005, 09:55 PM
it was very good

Lazymeatball
04-02-2005, 11:06 PM
Saw it today. The cinemetography and gritty setting was awesome. Most of the acting was fairly simplistic, nothing impressive, but that worked for what the movie was trying to accomplish. I wouldn't go around saying best movie of the year or anything, I could have done with a little less Bruce Willis, and a little more Jessica Alba, but hey, it wasn't bad for a matinee. Also, you don't have to know anything about the original comicbook to enjoy this, because I certainly didn't.

thirddan
04-02-2005, 11:45 PM
sadly, i can never like michael madsen against...[censored] tilt...

rusty JEDI
04-03-2005, 03:57 AM
If anyone goes to this movie after reading this much hype they will be severly disappointed.

rJ

youtalkfunny
04-03-2005, 03:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This makes me feel so smart!

Nyaah, nyaah, nyaahnyaah, nyaah,
I never watched Tilt!
I still like Michael Madsen!

peachy
04-03-2005, 04:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never watched Tilt!

[/ QUOTE ]

ive never seen a single episode either...thank GOD

Chris Daddy Cool
04-03-2005, 05:46 AM
just saw the movie today

clive owen and mickey rouke are awesome.

fsuplayer
04-03-2005, 11:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If anyone goes to this movie after reading this much hype they will be severly disappointed.

rJ

[/ QUOTE ]

unlikely.

the girls alone will keep them happier than hell.

Dead
04-03-2005, 11:14 AM
YES.

I saw it yesterday and it was awesome.

The Dude
04-03-2005, 11:17 AM
Holy cow was Jessica Alba hot in this movie. Had this come out 2 weeks ago, we would have a different Ms. OOT. I know I would change my vote.

Dead
04-03-2005, 11:18 AM
Dude, Jessica Alba didn't look any hotter in this movie. She always looks hot and this was no exception. But I think that she has reached maximum hotness.

The Dude
04-03-2005, 11:21 AM
The makeout scence between Jessica Alba (23) and Bruce Willis (60) did kind of wierd me out, though.

Dead
04-03-2005, 12:17 PM
Bruce Willis is not even 50 yet, yet alone 60.

But point taken.

sublime
04-03-2005, 12:20 PM
damn, I need to see this flick.

saw it last night. really cool. alba is a dime.

ClassicBob
04-03-2005, 02:16 PM
Well, he is 50, but not 60. The movie characters were supposed to be 19 and 68, which is pretty creepy.

Dead
04-03-2005, 02:18 PM
Those are their movie ages. It didn't seem that creepy to me.

sublime
04-03-2005, 02:18 PM
The movie characters were supposed to be 19 and 68, which is pretty creepy.

unless you are 68.

JinX11
04-03-2005, 02:35 PM
Going to see it in a few hours...will confirm or deny these allegations afterwards.

hutz
04-03-2005, 05:19 PM
It was a very good movie. I particularly liked the colorization of certain items pertaining to key characters. The dialogue was pretty stilted in places, though. There are three or four really sweet lines sprinkled through the movie, which makes up for that. Sadly, Alba remained clothed throughout the movie. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

My girlfriend covered her eyes a lot, reacted with disgust to certain parts, then proceeded to talk about it a lot over dinner last night and again this morning. So, while it's not at all a chick flick, it got a "normal" (well, normal for any girl who'd date me) girl's stamp of approval, too.

Jack of Arcades
04-03-2005, 05:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The movie characters were supposed to be 19 and 68, which is pretty creepy.

unless you are 68.

[/ QUOTE ]

very nice.

peachy
04-03-2005, 06:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The makeout scence between Jessica Alba (23) and Bruce Willis (60) did kind of wierd me out, though.

[/ QUOTE ]

hes only 50 and she doesnt look any different than normal and i still think biel is way hotter

fsuplayer
04-03-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i still think biel is way hotter

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Tron
04-03-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i still think biel is way hotter

[/ QUOTE ]

You can think it all you want... But you're wrong.

threeonefour
04-03-2005, 06:38 PM
sounds like everyone liked it...

I am going to dissent and say the movie was way too ultra violent for me.

it just seemed like juvenille gore film.

sin city = testosterone + blood

to be honest, I think i would have really liked the film if they toned down on all the violence... and i realize thats a major part of the movie and to take it out would be stupid...

I am probably just an oversensitive-metrosexual-pansy-man but to each his own.

Ulysses
04-03-2005, 09:42 PM
Just saw it and really liked it as well. One thing that could have been better was get a few better actors for some of the roles. Some of the over the top noir stuff could have used some better delivery than people like Brittany Murphy and James King are capable of. Nonetheless, I thought it was very good.

Tron
04-03-2005, 09:52 PM
Does anyone have a good link to an explanation of this movie? When I left the theatre yesterday, I felt like I had just seen a really good movie, but I didn't understand how it all came together... Maybe I got too caught up in the action or something. I don't know, but a solid summary would be really nice so I could at least feel like I know what was going on in that movie.

rutang
04-03-2005, 10:22 PM
the thing that made me love the movie - and a part of why people who haven't read the novels are puzzled about some of the approach... is that this move is the most exact adaptation of the source material that i've ever seen, all the way down to the visual style and specific shots. A good example: Every panel from the book that involves Marv's parole officer is perfectly duplicated. It may seem a little erratic becuase it really is one movie adapting four individual stories. Usually a fan of the "original" text would urge you to read before watching b/c a movie inevitably will be worse and ruin the book. In this case, you should read the graphic novels first, b/c it will make you love the movie more.

PokerFink
04-03-2005, 10:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Clive Owens story segement I found to be the best (the one directed by tarantino) -- but [censored] Mickey Rourke had one hell of a story as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tarantino did not direct an entire story segment; just one scene. I'm not sure which one, but it's in the rain. Atleast, thats what USA today said in their review, which was 3.5/4 stars.

Went to see it friday night and after waiting in line for 30 minutes it was sold out. Can't wait to see it.

brassnuts
04-03-2005, 10:54 PM
I saw this on IMDB while browsing through pics from Sin City and thought it was really in need of some caption bubbles.

http://img83.exs.cx/img83/8606/boredjpg2xb.jpg

I didn't even notice the scary dude in the back until I opened the pic in Adobe.

JinX11
04-03-2005, 11:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Going to see it in a few hours...will confirm or deny these allegations afterwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this movie was badass.

Jaime King's tits vs. Jess Alba'a ass....tough matchup. I take Alba.

Russ McGinley
04-03-2005, 11:21 PM
Don't forget the run-in from Carla Gugino's T&A.

theBruiser500
04-04-2005, 12:51 AM
thought it was a good movie liked it a lot, this seems like it's going to become another cult classic where people say it's their favorite movie ever like fight club which is kind of crazy. fun movie, but definitly not on my favorite movie list.

also, jessica alba has a fat face. the barmaid was clearly the hottest one in the movie.

brassnuts
04-04-2005, 03:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the barmaid was clearly the hottest one in the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brittany Murphy!?! Are you on crack? I'd take Rosario Dawson over her.

Agreed (sort of) about Alba's face, though I still think she's gorgeous.

Ulysses
04-04-2005, 03:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]

also, jessica alba has a fat face. the barmaid was clearly the hottest one in the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brittany Murphy is not hotter than Jessica Alba. Or James King. Or Carla Gugino. Or Devon Aoki. Or Alexis Bledel. Or Rosario Dawson. Or a couple of other chicks whose names I didn't know.

daryn
04-06-2005, 11:07 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

thought it was a good movie liked it a lot, this seems like it's going to become another cult classic where people say it's their favorite movie ever like fight club which is kind of crazy. fun movie, but definitly not on my favorite movie list.

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa, i agree with every word of this.

Tuco
04-06-2005, 11:46 PM
Thought it was really well done and enjoyable, except the part where they have the six-year old girl say "but i'm still a virgin" over and over. Way over the line of bad taste for me. Guess it has to do with the fact that I now have a daughter. Make that part very hard to watch without being repulsed.

Tuco.

daryn
04-07-2005, 12:09 AM
whatever dude, you are weird. apparently you had no problem with the countless murders in the film?

Tuco
04-07-2005, 12:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
whatever dude, you are weird. apparently you had no problem with the countless murders in the film?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm weird cause I am offended when a six year old says "i'm a virgin"? K. I'm weird then. Thanks for the personal attack, btw.

I, along with most of society, have been de-sensitized to violence. I havent yet heard a small child say shes a virgin, and I hope I dont hear it again.

Tuco.

pshreck
04-07-2005, 12:19 AM
No personal attacks from me, but I agree with Daryn in that its too small a detail to get hung up on.

Yes it would be uncommon for a 12 year old to repeat this.

However, it is very possible that it could be said in certain situations, just like the one in the movie.

daryn
04-07-2005, 12:20 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm weird cause I am offended when a six year old says "i'm a virgin"? K. I'm weird then. Thanks for the personal attack, btw.

I, along with most of society, have been de-sensitized to violence. I havent yet heard a small child say shes a virgin, and I hope I dont hear it again.

Tuco.

[/ QUOTE ]

personal attack? "LOL" someone is too sensitive. it's a movie. relax yourself and try to have a nice life.

daryn
04-07-2005, 12:21 AM
also, i remember back in elementary school when everyone learned the meaning of the word virgin, all the guys would just go around asking the girls if they were virgins, etc. it's not like this shocking mind-blowing thing you are making it out to be.

Tuco
04-07-2005, 12:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
personal attack? "LOL" someone is too sensitive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. But i've never met or conversed with you, and the first thing you tell me is i'm weird for being offended by something. Guess I took it the wrong way.

[ QUOTE ]
it's a movie. relax yourself and try to have a nice life.

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you think I don't? Look man, like I said in the OP it probably has something to do with the fact that I have a young daughter. If you don't, you probably don't understand where i'm coming from on this.

Tuco.

daryn
04-07-2005, 12:36 AM
personal attack? "LOL" someone is too sensitive.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. But i've never met or conversed with you, and the first thing you tell me is i'm weird for being offended by something. Guess I took it the wrong way.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't mean it as an insult. how does the fact we've never met or talked change anything? if i find out a guy's favorite food is a bowl of nuts and bolts covered in chocolate sauce, i'm pretty sure that dude is weird.

it's a movie. relax yourself and try to have a nice life.

[/ QUOTE ]

What makes you think I don't? Look man, like I said in the OP it probably has something to do with the fact that I have a young daughter. If you don't, you probably don't understand where i'm coming from on this.

Tuco.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm sure you lead a nice life. i don't think the fact that you have a daughter should change anything. i have a brother, and there was this guy in the movie that got killed. my brother is a guy too. somehow i let it slide.

fsuplayer
04-07-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

400+ posts and you dont already expect comments like this from Daryn? heh

sublime
04-07-2005, 12:41 AM

me and you need to have a talk about girls

sublime
04-07-2005, 12:44 AM
. I havent yet heard a small child say shes a virgin, and I hope I dont hear it again.

would you prefer she said she was balled by the basketball team?

theBruiser500
04-09-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because you agree with me right?

pshreck
04-09-2005, 05:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

because you agree with me right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because you just said Brittany Murphy was the hottest girl in the movie. There were atleast 4 hotter than her... and as for Alba? Murphy couldnt even drink her pee.

theBruiser500
04-09-2005, 05:31 PM
woah, gross dude

Benholio
04-09-2005, 05:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... and as for Alba? Murphy couldnt even drink her pee.

[/ QUOTE ]

This comment is worthless without pics.

lucas9000
04-09-2005, 06:00 PM
mickey rourke PWNED that movie. so good.

lucas9000
04-09-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I never watched Tilt!

[/ QUOTE ]

i've never seen tilt, i like madsen, and i was still suprised at how bad he was in sin city.

pshreck
04-09-2005, 06:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]

i've never seen tilt, i like madsen, and i was still suprised at how bad he was in sin city.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what that song was about, but you are right. He was criticized in reviews too (if you listen to them). It really seemed like he just phoned in his role, all his lines were said in the same tone (even if they had different meanings, feelings about them). Didnt matter much, his role was small.

lucas9000
04-09-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Brittany Murphy is not hotter than Jessica Alba. Or James King. Or Carla Gugino. Or Devon Aoki. Or Alexis Bledel. Or Rosario Dawson. Or a couple of other chicks whose names I didn't know.

[/ QUOTE ]

lucas9000
04-09-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not sure what that song was about, but you are right. He was criticized in reviews too (if you listen to them). It really seemed like he just phoned in his role, all his lines were said in the same tone (even if they had different meanings, feelings about them). Didnt matter much, his role was small.

[/ QUOTE ]

very true. at the beginning though i was like "oh no, this movie is going to suck." but then he went away and mickey rourke and a ton of hot chicks showed up and the movie proceeded to rule.

Clarkmeister
05-08-2005, 02:14 AM
Saw it tonight. Very good, surprisingly intense. Not for everyone. 3.5 out of 4 stars.

brassnuts
05-08-2005, 02:17 AM
Clarkmeister with the bump-outta-nowhere. And, because of this, I know have it mind to go see it again tomorrow morning.

Clarkmeister
05-08-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Clarkmeister with the bump-outta-nowhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, with all the repeat threads cluttering things up around here, I figured I'd try and set an example by showing just how easy the "search" function is. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

YourFoxyGrandma
05-08-2005, 02:24 AM
Well done, sir.

ThaSaltCracka
05-08-2005, 03:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Clarkmeister with the bump-outta-nowhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, with all the repeat threads cluttering things up around here, I figured I'd try and set an example by showing just how easy the "search" function is. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]there is a reason you are such a great poster. Well done sir, and I agree with the review.

CourtesyFlush
05-08-2005, 04:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just saw it and really liked it as well. One thing that could have been better was get a few better actors for some of the roles. Some of the over the top noir stuff could have used some better delivery than people like Brittany Murphy and James King are capable of. Nonetheless, I thought it was very good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could not agree more.