PDA

View Full Version : How to deal with people who calls with marginal hands in low buy -in

RoyalLance
04-02-2005, 07:30 PM
I have been playing the $1.00+$.10 SNG's in Ultimate Bet for some time. I have trouble trying to know people out of a hand with my raises. I would raise with a hand like aces or king and somebody would stay in with Queen-Jack or suited rags. If I raise with Queens somebody would call me with ace-rag. If I have pocket Aces or Kings I commonly would raise with 5 times the big blind. If I have the same hole cards and there is a raise before me I would re-raise by making a pot-sized bet, a 10x big blind bet, or push it all in. Even with these kinds of bets I seem to get a person to call me with a marginal or junk hand and wind of getting a something like two pairs on the flop. Is there any way of preventing this kind if disaster?

deathpotato
04-02-2005, 07:38 PM
If there's a way to prevent the 'disaster' of getting your aces called all-in by QJ, you don't want to find it.

RoyalLance
04-02-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If there's a way to prevent the 'disaster' of getting your aces called all-in by QJ, you don't want to find it.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you are saying don't adjust you betting in fear of getting a bad call or a lucky draw?

deathpotato
04-02-2005, 07:42 PM
If you're successfully getting all-in against these hands, no, don't adjust anything. Also, the mindset wherein you fear other players making bad calls like this must change. Your aces win 85% of the time against his QJ. Certainly not a situation to be afraid of!

1C5
04-02-2005, 07:43 PM
you WANT people making these bad calls, that is how YOU make money.

Oluwafemi
04-03-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I have been playing the $1.00+$.10 SNG's in Ultimate Bet for some time. I have trouble trying to know people out of a hand with my raises. I would raise with a hand like aces or king and somebody would stay in with Queen-Jack or suited rags. If I raise with Queens somebody would call me with ace-rag. If I have pocket Aces or Kings I commonly would raise with 5 times the big blind. If I have the same hole cards and there is a raise before me I would re-raise by making a pot-sized bet, a 10x big blind bet, or push it all in. Even with these kinds of bets I seem to get a person to call me with a marginal or junk hand and wind of getting a something like two pairs on the flop. Is there any way of preventing this kind if disaster?

[/ QUOTE ]

there's no way you can prevent this. this is one of the main reasons bad players and many people outside poker view it primarily as a game of luck. the majority of the players you come across in the $1+$.10 SNGs you play most likely are'nt taking it very serious. don't focus on that. focus on taking your play serious, look for ways you can take advantage of their maniacal play, resist the urge to play attractive, yet suspect hand like Ace Queen offsuit [even in late position] with 5 limpers already in the pot [not including the SB and BB].

don't shy away from imbecile players. these very low buy-in SNGs are excellent practice against learning how to beat them. the higher you go in buy-in levels, the better the players will be. however; never underestimate the importance of knowing how beat dimwits. there are alot of great players [not necessairly in SNGs] who have a hard time with bad players because they hardly ever have any exposure to playing against them in higher stakes. when you master how to them, you'll be that much better when you move up. the ultimate poker player to me is a player that can perform well against and adjust his play according to all levels of skill.

in the immortal words of Mason Malmuth:
[ QUOTE ]
nothing else needs to be said. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]