PDA

View Full Version : Shorthanded 30/60 hand at Bellagio against LAG

MrMonkey
04-02-2005, 05:50 PM
This hand was played awhile back at about 4 am playing 5 handed 30/60 at the Bellagio. The player immediately to my right was a weak, passive player who is stuck and bleeding badly and terrible at reading hands. The player to my left is this psycho, asian LAG who is tilting and has reloaded several times since I sat down. The player two to my left is very good at sh and I hate being in pots with him, and the other player is a generally solid, but not especially creative or dangerous player. Anyway this hand goes like this:

Hero is button with K9o.

utg folds, weak player limps (like he does every hand, he might have me beat but he'll just check/fold unimproved Ax on the flop even playing 5 handed and won't ever do anything tricky).

I raise to try to isolate weak limper. sb calls and limper calls.

Flop ($210) 9 5 3 rainbow
checks to me, I bet
sb raise, limper calls, I reraise sb 4-bets limper folds I call.

in my experience sb will cr this flop with any pair and probably with other hands too, so as far as I'm concerned I have the total nuts right now.

Turn ($510): 9 5 3 2 rainbow.
sb checks??
This confused me since he bet last and so by convention, it's his turn to bet. My hand looks great so I'm betting again, but then sb raises. Now I'm a little concerned because he apparently means business, but I'm clearly going to showdown so I just call. One possible read I have on my opponent based on his style and hyperaggression is that he flopped a pair and he turned a str8 draw so he check-raises. Of course, he is also allowed to have 2p or set (although set is less likely because I'd expect him to isolate me preflop even with 22 out of the sb, he's just that kind of guy).

River ($750): 9 5 3 2 7
sb checks
Am I insane to bet here? This is the most interesting decision I have to make in this hand in my opinion. 7 looks like a great river to me cause it can't complete any pair+str8 draw hand and 97 or maybe a psychotic 57 is about the only hand that I'm worried about having been rivered by here that I wasn't already ahead of.

The reasons I would bet here are:
1) Pot is huge, I will get called by anything, especially shorthanded.
2) LAG knows I love to call him down so I would expect him to bet just about any decent hand on the river here.
3) 7 looks like safe river.

Reasons against betting:
1) I have been check-raised twice already.
2) If I'm check-raised I have to call because of pot-size so I'm committing $120 by betting here.

I opted to bet here. Am I insane to bet here after getting check-raised twice or would most of you make this value bet.

My other question is about the turn. Against this LAG should I have more strongly considered 3-betting the turn considering that I have top pair with a big kicker on a fairly safe board playing shorthanded?

Jules22
04-02-2005, 06:01 PM
with your read i would bet and call a raise. i dont know what i would do against a normal opponent tho