PDA

View Full Version : the value of anonymity

dfscott
04-02-2005, 03:09 PM
I did a search for this but I couldn't find anything about it, so I apologize if it's already been discussed.

When I played limit, I actually liked for 2+2'ers to know my poker site name and vice versa, since it allowed us to stay out of each other's way. In limit, you're not playing many hands, so dumping an above average hand when a 2+2'er raises in EP can save you a bundle. However, the very nature of SnGs means that confrontations are often unavoidable, and you have to play, even if you're not happy about your opponent.

This was highlighted the other day when I met a 2+2'er HU at the end. He was nice enough to reveal himself and even told me his 2+2 name, but he didn't really have to. I started thinking about my HU post where I started talking about "here is the [crappy] strategy I use" and realized how that could be exceptionally $EV- in that particular situation.

Later than night, I also got a few "brown trouts" in the early rounds from players I didn't really recognize, so apparently it's not like this is not particularly uncommon (at the 22s, at least).

So, what do you think? Is this worth worrying about? Do most 2+2'ers keep their names a secret? (I'm not sure what I could do about it even if I wanted to since the cat's out of the bag, so to speak.)

ilya
04-02-2005, 03:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(I'm not sure what I could do about it even if I wanted to since the cat's out of the bag, so to speak.)

[/ QUOTE ]

This part's easy. Party lets you change your handle once every 6 months.

beeyjay
04-02-2005, 03:36 PM
i never knew that but that is butter. thanks for the info. i use a different name than i do on here but i dont post enough that many people would recognize this name anyway. i just got another account with essentially the same name spelled another way which i am not sure i am happy or unhappy about. the thinking was that players with prophecy would potentially be more wary of me.

Scuba Chuck
04-02-2005, 04:09 PM
I seriously doubt you need to worry too much about fellow 2+2ers **knowing** you're HU strategy. ESPECIALLY at your/our levels ($11-$33). IMO, you'd be giving your opponents too much credit for level 2 thinking. FWIW, I like knowing when other 2ers are at my table. But I hate it when they know me, and I don't know them.

Bigwig
04-02-2005, 05:20 PM
I want people to know my name, so they avoid me. The other night, Usher was about to sit at a table, but saw me, wished me luck, and passed. Easy way to avoid 2+2ers.

Now, if you stink, you should probably avoid revealing your screen name.

Apathy
04-02-2005, 06:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I want people to know my name, so they avoid me. The other night, Usher was about to sit at a table, but saw me, wished me luck, and passed. Easy way to avoid 2+2ers.

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly, any smart 2+2 should know to avoid me only because I am a winning player, and it really hurts your roi to play in the same SNGs as winning players. It helps me practice game selection without having to do anything. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I of course show the same respect for people that don't jump tables I'm on, and whos game I respect.

Even if you think you can pwn someone HU who is a winning player, its still not worth it to play with them, your only hurting yourself imo.

johnnybeef
04-02-2005, 07:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

My thoughts exactly, any smart 2+2 should know to avoid me only because I am a winning player, and it really hurts your roi to play in the same SNGs as winning players. It helps me practice game selection without having to do anything. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I of course show the same respect for people that don't jump tables I'm on, and whos game I respect.

Even if you think you can pwn someone HU who is a winning player, its still not worth it to play with them, your only hurting yourself imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

not sure how it is at the higher limits, but at the lowers, it is sometimes impossible to choose your games as it becomes a race to get a seat.

wuwei
04-02-2005, 08:18 PM
Well, let's get this out of the way first. After playing a nice tourney, DF decided he wanted to go out in style... getting pwned by me

/images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif /images/graemlins/blush.gif

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t600 (2 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t5160)
BB (dfscott) (t2840)

Preflop: Hero is Button with J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
Hero bets 5160 , dfscott calls t2840.

Flop: (t600) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Turn: (t600) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t600) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t5680

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
dfscott has Ah Qs (one pair, threes).
Hero has Js 5d (straight, six high).</font>

Regarding the question of anonymity, I think it has some value... but it's not that substantial. The main thing is that I know for certain that you won't be making loose calls when I steal your blind, and I can put you on a pretty accurate range of calling hands. However, I can do this to a lot of players after observing their play over the course of the SNG - with a known 2+2er I can do it quicker and more accurately. I was somewhat fortunate here that you sat down in a spot where I had nice stealing position on you.

I've been open about my main account name. It's always fun to play in 2+2 games, and it's hard to maintain anonymity after you do that. In this tourney, I was on a different account which I haven't advertised (and don't plan to), but I didn't see any problem with letting DF know who I was. I was happy to see us both make it to the end.

[ QUOTE ]
I started thinking about my HU post where I started talking about "here is the [crappy] strategy I use" and realized how that could be exceptionally $EV- in that particular situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed that you had abandoned that strategy for something a little more solid, so that isn't a big deal.

curtains
04-02-2005, 08:27 PM
Am I only person who thinks it's fun when someone you know is occasionally playing with you.

ilya
04-02-2005, 09:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Am I only person who thinks it's fun when someone you know is occasionally playing with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

I don't think it hurts ROI much anyway because I can adjust my play to account the knowledge that the 2+2er assumes I will play in a particular way. For example, I might decide to play looser in the blinds.

curtains
04-02-2005, 09:22 PM
Yeah, and I always like winning against people I know, its much more +EV than just winning against strangers.

UncleDuke
04-02-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It's fun now and then. If it's a good player though, I'd rather limit it to once in a while since I do aim to make a profit. Right now I'm trying to limit my questionable EV events to playing KotZ and maybe trying out the 2+2 sngs at some point.

In response to the original post, I have mixed feelings about it. I'd like it if the better players chose to find easier meat than to sit at my table, but if I end up facing them, I'd rather they have as little info as possible to work with.

Bigwig
04-03-2005, 03:51 AM
Yeah, I myself don't avoid 2+2ers because I just sit down. I pay no attention to who is there. I just hope some of them remember me and avoid my table. I'm lazy that way.

It's vonMises on Party, and Aguirre on Stars, for the record. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

SNOWBALL138
04-03-2005, 04:30 AM
the tables fill up soooooo fast, its not possible to engage in good "game selection"

Apathy
04-03-2005, 05:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
not sure how it is at the higher limits, but at the lowers, it is sometimes impossible to choose your games as it becomes a race to get a seat.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you play the 100s and up game selection is not only possible, it is important. I don't practice nearly as much game selection as others at this level and if I did I'm sure my roi would increase (I'm working on it)... Also seat selection (relative to known opponents) is very important as well.

curtains
04-03-2005, 05:55 AM
Sit and go's might the only brand of poker where you want the best players to sit directly to your left.