PDA

View Full Version : wireless connection

sublime
04-02-2005, 02:44 PM
i live in the basement apartment of a family owned house. i use the guy upstairs net connection (with his permission) and it usually works fine. i have noticed though that when i have the washer/dryer disjwasher going my connection goes down (or maybe i am just thinking that)

would these appliances cause me to lose/get limited connectivity? like electromagnetic currents or something? probably a dumb question, but i have no idea about this stuff.

wacki
04-02-2005, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
would these appliances cause me to lose/get limited connectivity? like electromagnetic currents or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

You guessed correctly. The wires probably aren't shielded correctly.

[ QUOTE ]
probably a dumb question, but i have no idea about this stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, it's not a dumb question. You don't study this stuff, so how would you be expected to know?

EDIT: Just noticed this is about wireless connection. So this is an even easier yes.

http://itmanagement.webopedia.com/TERM/E/EMI.html

mason55
04-02-2005, 03:29 PM
Kinda like when they shut down the power in las vegas in ocean's 11, only not as drastic.

sublime
04-02-2005, 04:01 PM
awesome, i am glad i asked. thanks whacki, now take your head out of your ass /images/graemlins/smile.gif

mason55
04-02-2005, 04:08 PM
actually, i remember someone awhile ago talkign about having this problem with their cable modem and wireless router. they said they wrapped the cable modem in alumium foil and it fixed everything. just a thought that you could try with the wires on the washer/dryer.

wacki
04-02-2005, 04:14 PM
That was a "cat 5" router, this is a wireless router. The only thing he can do is build a faraday cage around the washer /dryer.

mason55
04-02-2005, 04:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That was a "cat 5" router, this is a wireless router. The only thing he can do is build a faraday cage around the washer /dryer.

[/ QUOTE ]

oh right now i remember the details. this is why i went to school for computer science and not EE or CE.