PDA

View Full Version : O8b tourney hand

Beavis68
04-02-2005, 01:58 PM
From a PokerStars Tourney, I ended up 18th out on 971.

I will just give the facts and let you guys tell me what you do and why. Limit was 2k/4k 1k/2k blinds

We were in the money at this time, but still early.

Table '6452491 96' Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: DoorMatt (22440 in chips)
Seat 2: Orca27 (1619 in chips) is sitting out
Seat 3: rootatoot (<font color="red">57346 in chips </font> )
Seat 4: beavis68 ( <font color="red"> 34124 in chips </font> )
Seat 5: Big Sponge (5587 in chips)
Seat 6: PATCHER (2973 in chips)
Seat 7: Tom Bayes (8743 in chips)
Seat 8: deh432003 (<font color="red">59822 in chips</font>)
rootatoot: posts small blind 1000
beavis68: posts big blind 2000

PokerStars (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, K/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of 1000.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB (poster) completes, Hero checks.

Flop: Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Turn: K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

River: J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot:

Buzz
04-02-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
SB checks, Hero bets, MP2 calls, SB raises, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beavis - I don't think your bet after SB checks is terrible.

But then one of the big stacks calls and the other check-raises.

What can SB have?

And what can MP2 have?

At the point where you face SB's check-raise, you have an overpair and the 2nd nut flush draw. Do you really want to battle the two large stacks with an over-pair and the 2nd nut flush draw?

Buzz

Beavis68
04-02-2005, 03:28 PM
Yeah, it was possible that the MP2 had the nut flush draw. But I figured him for some low hand with a pair, he was quite a fisherman.

The small blind I put on a set. I felt like I had the outs to continue past the flop.

What do you think about the turn play?

Beavis68
04-02-2005, 03:35 PM
Buzz,

Further, we were already in the money, payouts were pretty flat until the final table, which was still a long way away, I think we were down to 60, we were only getting about 7-10 hands be level, so I felt like I need to get some chips.

This is only my 3rd O8b tourney, I cashed in my first limit Omaha high tourney this week too. Only played a handful of limit tourneys in my life. They still kind of mystify me.

I know the flop play is questionable, but it is the turn where I lost the hand.

Tom Bayes
04-02-2005, 05:42 PM
Well, I was at the table. I can tell you that Seat #8 was very loose and would call or bet with just about anything, so I wouldn't have laid down any reasonable hand (like top set) to that guy. Seat #3 seemed more solid and I would have been very worried about him having the straight on the turn or especially on the river. At that point in the tourney, you've probably got to call on the turn and are stuck making the crying call against Seat #8.

Obviously you want to fill up or hope the #2 flush is good. I don't think you made any real mistakes here. I don't remember, was top set good or not?

EDIT: Whoops, I should read the hand history before replying-I missed the small blind's check-raise on the flop. I probably would have bailed at that point.

Beavis68
04-02-2005, 06:38 PM
I didn't give either of them any respect.

Seat 3 knew had a set, but I felt I knew right were he was, so I had odds to call.

Seat8 like thought he had some kind of two pair hand, or JT, that is why I didn't bet the K.

IT turns out, three had AK55, and seat 8 had ATT7, and called down and hit wtih the belly buster. He had no spades, so I can't understand the club draw.

A note of justice, the last I went out 18th, 10-18 paid the same, although he had over 115k in chips when I busted, and was in the top 5, seat 8 went out 10th.

Beavis68
04-02-2005, 06:40 PM
So, would u guys be so afraid that my flush outs were dead that it is not worth a call with 8:1 odds?

Luckless57
04-03-2005, 01:12 AM
I'll preface this by saying I wasn't on the table and hadn't played against these players so I'll answer this how i would play this hand without information on the players. This late in the tournament when the bets reach a point where it takes a huge cut in your stack i'd hardly ever risk a non nut draw that could put me in a position where I'm drawing dead. If you felt like you had enough chips to wait for a better spot, I would. Outs are worthless if the outs don't give you the best hand anyways.

domino
04-03-2005, 01:52 AM
I would have bet the flop,but when you get check raised and put him on a set,do you still want to be drawing to a non nut flush draw with no other "reasonable" draw. I would have dumped on the flop after the check raise. But once you decided to call the flop raise,I would have raised the bet on the turn. You may get the better flush draw to soup,you have outs to the nut full and you have the best possible set now. True you may be facing the straight already but heads up you may be the favorite even then. Just my opinion

Beavis68
04-03-2005, 01:30 PM
Thanks all, I have a lot to learn.

Buzz
04-03-2005, 06:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Beavis - If you are going to put money in the pot on the second betting round (after the flop), then when the turn is a favorable card, it seems right to put more money in the pot on the third betting round.

Anything else and it doesn't make sense to put money in the pot on the second betting round.

I don't fault your initial bet on the second betting round. SB has checked, you have a possible opportunity to steal the pot, and you go for it.

Then when MP2 called, it should have been clear your move didn't work. Still no big deal.

But then SB check-raises!!!!!

Yikes! You're sandwiched between the two tall stacks, you really don't have much of a fit with the flop and one of the big stacks (SB) is making a move.

Time to get the Hell out of Dodge.

If you don't fold to the check-raise, what are you going to do when the turn is a favorable card????

Your mistake was calling the check-raise on the flop.

But let's get back to your question:
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think your call on the third betting round was correct.

Just my opinion.

Buzz

chaos
04-06-2005, 12:58 PM
How long did the tournament last?

Beavis68
04-06-2005, 09:50 PM
it was online, 5-6 hours.