PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle this guy?

Walter Pullis
04-02-2005, 01:32 PM
I'm a relative newcomer to tournament poker. I play Party
10+1. I run into this frequently:

1. Guy triples up on an early hand.
2. Everytime he gets a picture card, he bets 3xBB pf.
3. On top of this he is a calling station.

In a nutshell, he turns everything into acrapshoot, although such a player will rarely win.

I'd like to hear some suggestions. I don't think that simply playing tighter will help

syka16
04-02-2005, 01:35 PM
hope you get AT and a chance to isolate him and push but at a 10+1 he's going to get played back at so you've got a small window.

pokerlaw
04-02-2005, 01:42 PM
Don't play crap against him. Wait for a SOLID hand, reraise him and double up. Pretty standard really...good luck.

btw, I seem to run into these players a lot more in the multi-table tourneys - like the 3 table ones on Party.

Phil Van Sexton
04-02-2005, 01:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Don't play crap against him. Wait for a SOLID hand, reraise him and double up. Pretty standard really...good luck.

btw, I seem to run into these players a lot more in the multi-table tourneys - like the 3 table ones on Party.

[/ QUOTE ]

True but be very patient. There's no reason to pick a fight with him the first time you get AJ.

He's either going to knock everyone else out, or lose his stack. Either one is fine. Just sit back and watch the fireworks. If you happen to pick up a monster, all the better.

Walter Pullis
04-02-2005, 02:06 PM
Let me tell you about my last hand with this guy. Blinds at 30.

1. I have 450 left; he has 1955.
2. I get AQ suited in middle position. Everyone folds to me. Bet 100.
3. Guy has button and calls. Blinds fold.

Flop comes J 8 6.

4. I go all-in. He calls and shows J 9!!!! Of course this
holds up.

What do you think of my/his play.

syka16
04-02-2005, 02:09 PM
bad

Joboo
04-02-2005, 02:20 PM
If this guy is a big stack calling station as you described, then it's senseless to bluff him here, because he'll most likely call with any pair. Why not wait for a hand that beats top pair, and then double through him when he calls your allin just the same as he did in your example?

Walter Pullis
04-02-2005, 02:30 PM
Thanks for your comments. Some of you probably think that i am a super-fish by this thread, but I have played 58 tourney's and won 7. I just have difficulty playing from behind.

To continue: Maybe my all-in with AQ was bad, but remember
that this guy is playing almost any hand. My thinking is if
I get 100 here and 100 there, I'm back in the fight.

lastchance
04-02-2005, 04:12 PM
No, horrible. Absolutely horrible. AQ is good, there are a lot of chips in the pot, but when you don't hit, you've got to be able to lay down to a calling station. You can't value bet with ace high, and you can't bluff him.

wbrumfiel
04-02-2005, 04:29 PM
Rule #1 (especially at Party)
DON'T BLUFF A CALLING STATION
Im hoping that you said your 7 "wins" were your 1st place finishes and not just in the money finishes. If not then you need some work, read the FAQs

Texas Pete
04-02-2005, 08:02 PM
You can't beat a bad player by playing worse.