PDA

View Full Version : Foxwoods $50-100, $2700 pot

B-Man
10-21-2002, 11:55 AM
Foxwoods $50-100, $10 ante, $25 force-bet.

I am dealt rolled up nines.

The bring in (an aggressive woman who recently joined the table) is immediately to my right with the 4d and brings it in for the full $50. I call. It is folded around to the player immediately to the right of the bring-in, one of the most aggressive players in the room, who raises to $100 with the 8c showing. The boards of the 3 players in the pot at this point are:

1. (x-x)-8c
2. (x-x)-4d
3. (9-9)-9c ME

The 4d calls.
I raise to $150.
8c caps it at $200. 4d calls, I call.

At this point I put opponent #1 on either split 8s with a facecard kicker or a high pocket pair. Opponent #2 I put on a pair of 4's or a medium pocket pair–if she was rolled up, she would not have brought it in for $50, and if she had a big pair, she definitely would have raised when the action came back to her. I don’t think either player would have acted as they did with a 3-flush or 3-straight, though I considered that an outside possibility for opponent #2.

Comments?

4th street:

1. (x-x-) 8c-Jc
2. (x-x)-4d-6s
3. (9-9)-9c-7h

8c bet $50, 4d called, I raised to $100, 8c re-raised to $150, 4d called, I capped it at $200, call, call.

At this point, I knew I was in the lead unless Player 1 had pocket jacks. I thought his most likely holding was jacks-up, or possibly pocket aces or kings. Rolled up 8's entered into my thinking now as well. I knew that HE did not put me on rolled-up nines, and figured that he put me on pocket aces or kings, or two pair.

I put Player 2 on a pair of 4's with a high kicker.

Comments?

On 5th street I caught a facecard (making me first to act) and everyone else caught a brick (I don’t remember the exact cards, but they did not appear to improve anyone’s hand). I bet $100, 8c raised to $200, 4d called, I re-raised to $300, 8c called, 4d called.

On 6th street everyone again caught bricks, I bet, 8c raised to $200, 4d called all-in for $150,I called. There was $100 in the sidepot. I now had to seriously consider whether player #1 had trips, given the strength he showed throughout the hand.

I did not fill up on the river and checked with the intention of calling if Player 1 bet. He checked, and my rolled-up nines were good; both of my opponents had made two-pair on 4th street, and neither improved. So it looks like I missed a bet on the river, as he surely would have called.

After the hand, the woman with the 4d scolded the man with the 8c for making all of those raises. She said that he cost the two of them a lot of money. She said she was “stuck in the middle” with two pair on 4th street and couldn’t go anywhere.

Comments?

10-21-2002, 12:26 PM
Who cares about the extra bet. Nice hand. If that had been me they would have filled up.

SittingBull
10-21-2002, 01:03 PM
the lady decided to play split 4's with no kicker in this aggressive game??
She compounded her problem by continuing to play after she obtained two small pairs.
I believe the man doing all the raises was playing correctly since he did not put u on a set.
The lady should have folded on 3rd Str.

Congratulations on your take down!

Happy pokering,
Sitting Bull
/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

B-Man
10-21-2002, 01:10 PM
Larry,

I agree, I think she should have folded on 3rd street. It was ridiculous for her to feel committed to the hand just because she brought it in for $50 (I'm guessing that was her reasoning), and then call the whole way with two small pairs which obviously were no good.

I think opponent #1 played ok on 3rd street, but after that he was overly aggressive. The worst possible hand I could have had to put in all those raises was pocket aces, but I really think he should have considered me to be rolled up.

10-21-2002, 03:34 PM
She should be mad at herself for her shoddy play, not at anyone else.

Andy B
10-21-2002, 04:47 PM
Nice hit.

The problem that I have with the smooth-call/re-raise in high-only stud is that it should make your opponent suspect rolled-up trips. Against observant opponents, you'll have to limp/re-raise with other hands, say big live three-flushes, so as not give your hand away. Obviously, since these yo-yos were willing to give you unlimited action anyway, the smooth-call/re-raise worked out well.

I have seen many people leave a lot of money on the table by slow-playing rolled-up trips. Good for you for playing them fast. If that woman is willing to take all that heat with two little pair, God bless her.

I guess that at some point, you have to consider the possibility that the other guy might have you beaten. I would probably have gotten another bet or two in there, but I can't blame you for slowing down when you did.

I have played in $4/8 and $8/16 stud games where the bring-in is 1/2 of the small bet, and the small stud tournaments in my local room employ this structure on several rounds. I don't care for this structure at all. A raise should mean something. There should at least be a chance that someone who limps in will fold if it is subsequently completed. When my local room has larger stud tournaments, the bring-in on the $50/100 round is $15.

10-22-2002, 04:29 PM
I think you play it very well, but why didn't they quite raising after your reraises /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif and why did the women keep playing? /forums/images/icons/confused.gif after your thrid reraise it's says I have you beat /forums/images/icons/cool.gif Nice play

Mason Malmuth
10-23-2002, 01:35 AM
Your play on sixth and seventh street is fine in my opinion. It's easy to say after the fact that you missed a bet, but given the way the hand was played, even though you were against a very aggressive player, you could be beat by higher trips. If you bet or raise on the end, you might find yourself calling a reraise.

MM /forums/images/icons/ooo.gif