PDA

View Full Version : AA hand read exercise

krishanleong
04-02-2005, 12:56 PM
Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (6.40 SB) 3/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, BB calls.

Turn: (4.20 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

River: (6.20 BB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.20 BB

Villian is 30/16 over 300 hands. He's decently agressive postflop. How did I do? I think I made a big mistake on at least 1 street.

Krishan

Alobar
04-02-2005, 01:11 PM
I suppose you can make a case for checking behind the turn, and maybe getting a river bluff, but I still bet the turn everytime. Hes in the BB so he could have a 7 or a 3. Hes aggro, so maybe he will take a stab at a c/r without the goods.

You played the hand fine

DrGutshot
04-02-2005, 01:41 PM
nh.

-DrG

krishanleong
04-02-2005, 01:43 PM
It's not the turn that I wonder about, it's the river.

[ QUOTE ]
Hes aggro, so maybe he will take a stab at a c/r without the goods.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the crux of the bet turn argument. I think I get way more out of him by betting since sometimes he'll call down with a 3 or 7, sometimes he'll cr with a J and sometimes he'll cr without a jack. I think I come out solidly ahead if I bet the turn and call down every cr.

What about the river?

Krishan

MAxx
04-02-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I suppose you can make a case for checking behind the turn, and maybe getting a river bluff, but I still bet the turn everytime. Hes in the BB so he could have a 7 or a 3. Hes aggro, so maybe he will take a stab at a c/r without the goods.

You played the hand fine

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I can see the case for a turn check as well... but I prefer to continue collecting (or not missing value bets). I don't really mind calling the river c/r.

Alobar
04-02-2005, 01:50 PM
why would you not bet this river??

krishanleong
04-02-2005, 02:16 PM
I want to 3-bet.

Krishan

Alobar
04-02-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I want to 3-bet.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a bit aggro. Remember, he also has to call your 3 bet for it to be worthwhile.

krishanleong
04-02-2005, 04:50 PM
I just can't believe he had a jack. What kind of aggro player plays a jack like this. I have the absolute best hand possible if he doesn't have a Jack. I think the river cr looks like a K or desperation bet by a 7 or 3. I'm probably being results oriented though since he had KQo and MHWG.

Krishan

Alobar
04-02-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just can't believe he had a jack. What kind of aggro player plays a jack like this. I have the absolute best hand possible if he doesn't have a Jack. I think the river cr looks like a K or desperation bet by a 7 or 3. I'm probably being results oriented though since he had KQo and MHWG.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

The only hand I think he will call your 3 bet with is a K or a J. I dont think waiting till the river to raise is super unusual if he has a jack (this seems to be the typical line a 10/20 player uses), but What hand would he play this way that has a K? Unless he has K7 or is just bad enough to call down the flop and turn with KQ or KT I think its going to be a last effort with a 7 or a 3 (in which case he doesnt call your bet) or actually the J, so 3 betting doesnt do much for you.

Pat Southern
04-03-2005, 02:40 AM
I'd 3 bet the river, I dont know why he would wait until the river to checkraise with a J.

RaymondKHessel
04-03-2005, 10:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd 3 bet the river, I dont know why he would wait until the river to checkraise with a J.

[/ QUOTE ]

So that you don't fold your TT.

krishanleong
04-03-2005, 11:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But that is such a horrible play. I can take a free card on any street or maybe freeze up with an overpair or underpair and check the river through. This is 5t, not 10/20 and maniacal agression isn't the norm.

Krishan

RaymondKHessel
04-03-2005, 11:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But that is such a horrible play. I can take a free card on any street or maybe freeze up with an overpair or underpair and check the river through. This is 5t, not 10/20 and maniacal agression isn't the norm.

Krishan

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say it was the right play. I simply explained to the poster why someone would do it.

Danenania
04-03-2005, 11:19 AM
Remember bad players love to slowplay. J7, J3, 33, 77, AJ, KJ are all possible on this river. I think 3-betting would be bad.

Morningside
04-03-2005, 09:33 PM
The 3 bet option strikes me as player dependent.

The opponent I'm 3-betting on the river here is a loose aggressive battler type. It feels especially right if I've been pounding him lately, and can feel him fixing to "trap" me on the river (after chasing w/ something like KQ). I come across plenty of these in 10/20 and especially 15/30 6 max. Probably can't bring himself to fold to a three bet so it's worth the risk.

But I think many opponents in 10/20 6 max and below will be slowplaying and will show you a big hand when they raise the river -- unless they're on a desperation bluff...so I usually don't 3-bet them here.

drudman
04-04-2005, 04:16 AM
I see threebetting the river as seriously poor at 5/10 6 max.