View Full Version : Two third street decisions

BeerMoney
04-02-2005, 12:27 PM
7 Card Stud High ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/club.gif___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Seat 3: xx xx K/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Hero: A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif___brings-in___raises
Seat 5: xx xx K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif___completes___folds
Seat 7: xx xx J/images/graemlins/heart.gif___folds
Seat 8: xx xx J/images/graemlins/club.gif___raises___calls

4th Street

Hero: A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif___bets
Seat 8: xx xx J/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif___checks___calls

5th Street

Hero: A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif 3/images/graemlins/club.gif 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/heart.gif___bets
Seat 8: xx xx J/images/graemlins/club.gif 9/images/graemlins/club.gif 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif___folds

I respect my opponents fold here, what ever he had..

7 Card Stud High ($10/$20), Ante $1, Bring-In $3

3rd Street

Seat 1: xx xx 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Seat 3: xx xx A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___completes___calls
Hero: J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif___raises
Seat 5: xx xx 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___brings-in___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___folds
Seat 7: xx xx A/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif___calls___folds

4th Street

Seat 3: xx xx A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif___checks___calls
Hero: J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif___bets

5th Street

Seat 3: xx xx A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif A/images/graemlins/spade.gif___bets
Hero: J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif J/images/graemlins/club.gif K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif___folds

Is this all standard?

Andy B
04-02-2005, 01:22 PM
On the first hand, I think third street is a fold. This is a low-ante game, so there isn't much to fight over. The other guys have probably got your Treys crushed. If you can knock out the original raiser by three-betting, that's OK, but a lot of players won't fold having already raised, and you have to put in too much money to try to do this, in my opinion.

Keeping up the charade on fourth is fine. Nice catch on fifth.

On the second hand, I think I fold third street as well. The Ace has raised two limpers, so he's not on a steal. It is unlikely that he is raising with a three-flush, since three diamonds are showing and you have a couple in the hole to boot. So even though there's another Ace showing, I think it's fairly likely that he has Aces. If your kicker were in the straight zone or were a club rather than a diamond, I might be somewhat more enthusiastic about playing this hand. Again, this is a low-ante game. You just don't need to get involved in marginal situations. Also, while you managed to get them both out this time, it is my experience that people who limp in for 1/3 of a bet are often too willing to call for another 1 2/3 bets.

Since he checked and called fourth, it looks like either he didn't have Aces, or he's fixing to check-raise you on fifth. Obviously when he hits the Ace on fifth you're out of there.

What the hell does "to boot" mean, anyway?

jon_1van
04-02-2005, 02:52 PM
I think hand 1 is very similar to the hand in which I 3-bet 9s and 7s on 4th street. The same logic applies...only you are more likely to be behind than I was. Too little to fight over....too painfull if you are behind.

rtrombone
04-02-2005, 05:36 PM
It's much better to raise/reraise with (33)A than with (A3)3.

In your second hand the guy could have tens, nines or sevens (or smaller), but he could also have kings or queens. He could even have aces. This one is opponent-dependent.

MrMonkey
04-02-2005, 06:32 PM
In hand 1, I would only make this play against a player who I was certain would fold an unimproved JJ on 5th st to the hidden QQ/KK/AA we are representing, otherwise I don't think this is profitable. Especially because he appears to suspect that the other hand you will do this with is split 3's with an overcard kicker which is probably part of why he fold on 5th fearing aces up. So you don't even get paid off when you do make your higher 2p. It's a much better play with 33 A for this reason because many players at 10/20 would be willing to give up on 4th or 5th if they don't improve here (of course you can't bringin-reraise with 33 A so it's not really the same situation).

In hand 2 I agree with Andy that with so many diamonds showing that his most likely hand by far is Ax A. The action shows that he's not bluffing. Your 2 flush is completely useless. I would always fold here.