PDA

View Full Version : Drinking Alone

mason55
04-02-2005, 03:09 AM
So, since I graduated college, I find myself drinking alone many nights. Everyone I know where I live is older and doesn't drink very often. I live with my girlfriend, so I'm never alone, but I'm the only one drinking every night. I don't get trashed and beat her up or anything, i just have 4-6 drinks and go to sleep. Soooooo....... here's a poll:

mason55
04-02-2005, 03:11 AM
for example, no one i know wanted to go out tonight, so i'm drinking a glass of sauza and playing 25NL. I feel like a loser cause i'm used to having at least 20 people to hang out with every friday and saturday. Maybe I should go to QLC?

jason_t
04-02-2005, 03:14 AM
I Drink Alone
George Thorogood

I drink alone, yeah, with nobody else.
Yeah, you know when I drink alone, I prefer to be by myself.

Now, every morning, just before breakfast,
I don't want no coffee or tea.
Just me and my good buddy Weiser.
That's all I ever need.

'Cause I drink alone, yeah, with nobody else.

Now, the other night I lay sleeping,
And I woke from a terrible dream.
So I called up my pal, Jack Daniels,
And his partner Jimmy Beam.

And we drank alone, yeah, with nobody else.
We drank alone, yeah, with nobody else.

Well, the other night I got invited to a party,
But I stayed home instead.
Just me and my pal Johnny Walker,
And his brothers Black and Red.

And we drank alone, yeah, with nobody else.
We drank alone, yeah, with nobody else.

Well, my whole family done give up on me,
And it makes me feel so bad.
The only one who'll hang out with me
Is my dear old Granddad.

And we drink alone, yeah, with nobody else.
We drink alone, yeah, with nobody else.

whiskeytown
04-02-2005, 03:23 AM
I almost never drink alone, per se - not at home - at bars quite often (though I know so many people at the two locals now that I can pretty much just chat with any of a half dozen when I get there) -

I found I drink a lot less when I just go out down the street to Applebees then when I buy a bigass bottle - I just spend my days off drinking the whole damned thing. And most of the times, I'm just lonely anyways, so drinking alone doesn't really do anything for me like it used to.

RB

Victor
04-02-2005, 03:23 AM
as long as you arent drinking urself to oblivion all the time its fine.

mason55
04-02-2005, 03:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
as long as you arent drinking urself to oblivion all the time its fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

cool, thanks for the support.

mason55
04-02-2005, 03:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I almost never drink alone, per se - not at home - at bars quite often (though I know so many people at the two locals now that I can pretty much just chat with any of a half dozen when I get there) -

I found I drink a lot less when I just go out down the street to Applebees then when I buy a bigass bottle - I just spend my days off drinking the whole damned thing. And most of the times, I'm just lonely anyways, so drinking alone doesn't really do anything for me like it used to.

RB

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll be sure to take lots of advice re: alcoholism from someone named whiskeytown. if i didn't have my gf here i would definitely be at the bar at least. molesting girls under 21 or something. i think im' just pissed cause i'm running bad at 25nl

ethan
04-02-2005, 03:32 AM
I'm bored, playing 3/6, and drinking until I'm done drinking. I guess people could call that "oblivion". I call it "drunk enough to stagger up to cacao and benito's."

mason55
04-02-2005, 03:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm bored, playing 3/6, and drinking until I'm done drinking. I guess people could call that "oblivion". I call it "drunk enough to stagger up to cacao and benito's."

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent. most people would quit when they knocked over their glass of tequila for the second time but not me.

persistance

look it up.

turnipmonster
04-02-2005, 03:35 AM
currently drinking alone!

mason55
04-02-2005, 03:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

cheers mate /images/graemlins/cool.gif

ethan
04-02-2005, 03:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

excellent. most people would quit when they knocked over their glass of tequila for the second time but not me.

persistance

look it up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, anyone happen to be nearby? My glass of tequila is long-knocked-over.

jason_t
04-02-2005, 03:45 AM
I'm about to get started.

mason55
04-02-2005, 03:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm about to get started.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha this rules. i felt like such an alcoholic till i posted this. i'm sure certain people ( coughdaryncough) will come in here and tell me i am, but at least i'm not alone. and i just drank a big glass of tequila, WITHOUT spilling it, finally

ethan
04-02-2005, 03:48 AM
hey Jason - what's your email address?

jason_t
04-02-2005, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
hey Jason - what's your email address?

[/ QUOTE ]

I PM'ed you.

Tyler Durden
04-02-2005, 03:58 AM
What % of your posts are about alcohol? I'd say 75%. But I could be wrong. It's happened once before.

mason55
04-02-2005, 04:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What % of your posts are about alcohol? I'd say 75%. But I could be wrong. It's happened once before.

[/ QUOTE ]

dude... seriously... at least 40% of my posts are about hard drugs which only leaves 60% for alcohol and i make an occasional poker post, so i'm going with 50% about alcohol

Victor
04-02-2005, 04:29 AM
ok then i should clarify. i dont have a problem with anyone drinking to oblivion, but others might.

mantasm
04-02-2005, 04:40 AM
This sounds exactly like my life. Have a couple of drinks, my girlfriend goes to sleep, have a few more, I go to sleep. This happens most every night. I'm almost certain it's not healthy though.

ucfryan
04-02-2005, 04:57 AM
I have a beer or two when I'm alone playing poker, but I guess that's about it. I see someone beat me to the Thorogood song though /images/graemlins/cool.gif

jason_t
04-02-2005, 05:02 AM
Holy s[/i]hit the George Thorogood Greatest Hits album is good. Thanks mason55 for inspiring me to listen to it again.

Blarg
04-02-2005, 07:22 AM
yeah, George Thoroughgood at his best is incredibly good.

Never hear anything from the guy anymore, what a shame.

Oh, here's a tip to the booze hounds: If you think you drink too much, buy booze a little more expensive than you can afford.

It's usually better for you than the cheap [censored], and you'll probably drink less of it too.

theBruiser500
04-02-2005, 01:19 PM
why would more expensive alcohol be better for you exactly?

wacki
04-02-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why would more expensive alcohol be better for you exactly?

[/ QUOTE ]

The reasons vary from drink to drink. With vodka they filter more impurities out with charcoal. With wine, it is is simply fermented more completely and properly. The list goes on and on.

The level of toxins (congeners) vary depending on type of drink.
Below is a list from lowest toxin level to highest toxin level drink.

Vodka (lowest toxin levels)
Home brew beer
beer
white wine
red wine
bourbon (highest toxin levels)

Please keep in mind that quality does not always equal expensive. There are many good wines for $5 and many poorly made wines for $60.

AncientPC
04-02-2005, 02:06 PM
I drink only with food, and even then it's at most 1-2 beers or a glass of wine.

stankybank
04-02-2005, 03:28 PM
lately, I've been drinking alone almost every night of the week. I'd say for the past 2-3 weeks I've been drinking most nights, mostly beer, at least 2 cans of 24oz. Sometimes I drink 3 cans. Rarely do I drink just one. I think it's becoming a bad habit. Seriously.

mason55
04-02-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
lately, I've been drinking alone almost every night of the week. I'd say for the past 2-3 weeks I've been drinking most nights, mostly beer, at least 2 cans of 24oz. Sometimes I drink 3 cans. Rarely do I drink just one. I think it's becoming a bad habit. Seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

I started to get really anxious last night when I realized it was after 12 and I couldn't buy beer any more. Like 1/2 way to an anxiety attack. Bad news. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Roland
04-02-2005, 04:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I started to get really anxious last night when I realized it was after 12 and I couldn't buy beer any more. Like 1/2 way to an anxiety attack. Bad news. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the feeling. Seriouly, either I'm playing poker or I'm drinking. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

bdk3clash
04-02-2005, 08:04 PM
As per the Replacements masterpiece "Mr. Whirly," drinking alone is fine:

"Mr. Whirly
Please don't call me
I've been drinkin' alone
Whirly
Please don't follow me home"

ThaSaltCracka
04-02-2005, 08:10 PM
I don't think its bad to drink by yourself every now and then. But every night..... welll.... that just doesn't seem right, especially if you are getting drunk.

Sorta funny story. My roomate called up his sister yesterday and told her he showed up to work drunk and was fired(It was an april fools joke). His sister then goes off saying he is an alcoholic and [censored]. Dude drinks less then me, and I drink about once a week. wtf? But when I drink I get tossed.

theBruiser500
04-02-2005, 08:20 PM
your list makes it look like red whine has a high level of taxins, i thought red wine is the best alcoholic drink for you though.

ThaSaltCracka
04-02-2005, 08:25 PM
well, one drink of anything won't have enough toxins in it to hurt you, and most doctors agree a glass of red wine is good for you once a day, so there you go.

jakethebake
04-02-2005, 08:59 PM
Just 4-6? By yourself? Every night? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

mason55
04-02-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just 4-6? By yourself? Every night? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

well not every night. but it's usuallly more than 4 to 6. i would say at least twice a week i blackout when i'm the only one drinking. i get drunk, harass my girlfriend for sex, then fall asleep.

i actually used to have really bad insomnia but if i drink i have no trouble falling asleep, which is why i like to do it.

gumpzilla
04-02-2005, 09:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

well not every night. but it's usuallly more than 4 to 6. i would say at least twice a week i blackout when i'm the only one drinking. i get drunk, harass my girlfriend for sex, then fall asleep.

[/ QUOTE ]

Up until this point, I wouldn't have said anything one way or the other with regards to alcoholism, but this is kind of ridiculous. Most people who aren't alcoholics rarely blackout when drinking with others. The by-yourself angle just makes it worse.

Drink alone, but drink less, I guess.

Richie Rich
04-02-2005, 09:54 PM
I don't think the liver is an important organ, either. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Richie Rich
04-02-2005, 09:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i think im' just pissed cause i'm running bad at 25nl

[/ QUOTE ]
If you want to take your game to the next level, then I highly suggest that you move up to a higher limit. And if your BR isn't adequately big enough, then simply buy short in a NL100 game. I think you'll see a tremendous difference.

Ulysses
04-02-2005, 10:12 PM
Definitely sounds like you're an alcoholic. At the very least you have major issues w/ alcohol. I've known a few alcoholics and based on what you describe, it's likely to get much worse unless you get some help.

Slow Play Ray
04-02-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

mason55
04-02-2005, 10:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Definitely sounds like you're an alcoholic. At the very least you have major issues w/ alcohol. I've known a few alcoholics and based on what you describe, it's likely to get much worse unless you get some help.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah probably. I go long periods without drinking some times too though. Mostly depends how bored I am. I've never had alcohol affect my life in any way in terms of work or school or hobbies or friends. So yeah, I probably am. I think it's called a functional alcoholic.

Chairman Wood
04-02-2005, 11:03 PM
3 Summers ago I was exactly the same way except I probably had more than 4-6 every night. Somehow it was the one of the best and worst periods of my entire life. I advise you to get out of this habit because even when I did this at the age of 20 I had some pretty severe health consequences. One evening that summer, I had to rush to the bathroom for fear of crapping my pants. I went and I filled the toilet with blood. Stupidly, I thought this was due to this strawberry jam that I was eating a lot of that day and days before. I didn't think much as this continued a lot for the rest of the day (I just thought there was some laxative in the jam). Eventually that evening I was again in the bathroom for about the 10th time and I just fell over and passed out. I was taken to the hospital and I was later told that I crapped out 1/3 of my blood. I had a long series of tests including one pretty sophisticated one where I swallowed this camera pill and it went through my digestive system and took pictures every 1/2 second. Dr's never really found out what happened (I apparently showed some scars that might have been from an ulcer) but there was no doubt it my mind that this wouldn't have happened if it wasn't for all the drinking.

Soviet Exile
04-02-2005, 11:42 PM
Dude. You are an alcoholic. The whole blackout thing is a tip off. Take it from one who would know. I was functional, but I am much more functional now. You don't need any help. Just quit.

Worrots
04-03-2005, 01:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I live with my girlfriend, .. i just have 4-6 drinks and go to sleep.

[/ QUOTE ]

Choosing to get smashed night after night instead of having (good and frequent) sex with your girlfriend ...? Doesn't sound right to me.

Lazymeatball
04-03-2005, 01:29 AM
Are you people saying nobody else ever drinks to the point of blackout even in social scenes? Have you people ever been to college, or a good keg party?

bholdr
04-03-2005, 01:36 AM
VERY nice avatar.

DougOzzzz
04-03-2005, 01:41 AM
I pretty much ONLY drink alone. And in the morning. Then again, I work 3rd shift, so what choice do I have (other then to not drink at all)?.

Lazymeatball
04-03-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I pretty much ONLY drink alone. And in the morning. Then again, I work 3rd shift, so what choice do I have (other then to not drink at all)?.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto everything you just said. I wish there bars open at 8am

gumpzilla
04-03-2005, 02:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you people saying nobody else ever drinks to the point of blackout even in social scenes? Have you people ever been to college, or a good keg party?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm saying that people who do so consistently are alcoholics.

tolbiny
04-03-2005, 02:02 AM
WARNING!!!

DO NOT TAKE ADVICE ON THIS SUBJECT FROM VICTOR.

DANGER! DANGER! DANGER!

gotta refill my caucasian and put on the lebowski

Lazymeatball
04-03-2005, 02:06 AM
Somebody define alcoholic for me, and don't give me some AA bullshit either. I'm thinking of somethign along the lines of an addiction being something that interferes with your work/ school/ family/ friends/ ability to live your day to day life. While blacking out is certainly not healthy, as long as it doesn't interfere with anything I don't think it makes one an alcoholic.

gumpzilla
04-03-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Somebody define alcoholic for me, and don't give me some AA bullshit either.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a fair question, and I'll admit that I don't have a rigorous definition in my head. The way I use it day to day, I typically mean somebody who drinks idiotic amounts of alcohol often. Vague definition, I know, but if I never see somebody drinking without turning into a sloppy mess, I start to bandy the term about.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking of somethign along the lines of an addiction being something that interferes with your work/ school/ family/ friends/ ability to live your day to day life.

[/ QUOTE ]

By this standard, cigarettes are not an addiction, as far as I can tell.

[ QUOTE ]
While blacking out is certainly not healthy, as long as it doesn't interfere with anything I don't think it makes one an alcoholic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're attaching too much moral weight to the term alcoholic. I essentially mean somebody who drinks in an obviously unhealthy manner. I don't mean a moral degenerate. Sadly, people tend to connect the two.

3rdEye
04-03-2005, 02:20 AM
Nothing wrong with drinking alone. There's a stigma attached to it, but a lot of the people who would look down on someone who drinks alone are the same people who have no problem with someone who smokes the occasional bowl while multi-tabling by himself.

Ulysses
04-03-2005, 03:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i would say at least twice a week i blackout when i'm the only one drinking.

That's what the OP wrote. That's very different than having a crazy night and blacking out.

CardSharpCook
04-03-2005, 04:43 AM
As a reformed drug addict, this all sounds very bad to me. My brother is also an alcoholic. He can function societally as an alcoholic, just as I could as a drug addict, but that doesn't mean it isn't a serious plroblem. By making this post, you are clearly concerned that you might have a problem - this is usually an indication that there is, in fact, a problem. You drink every night, often alone, and frequently to the point of blacking out. I'm telling you what you already know when I say you have a problem. It is up to you whether or not you choose to do anything about it.

For me, I just quit one day. I just stopped. A few months later, I was having difficulty adjusting to sober life, so I walked into a NA meeting. It was the only one I went to. After that it was a personal and private struggle. Not the struggle to keep away from drugs - I was sure and committed to that, but the struggle to create a new life. I felt like a baby again. I didn't really understand how social relationships were supposed to work - all of my friends had been fellow drug addicts. But I'm getting off the subject. Point is, you have a problem.

CSC

Ulysses
04-03-2005, 04:59 AM
You still a cook? If so, that's a tough industry to be in for someone w/ drug/alcohol problems. Congrats.

CardSharpCook
04-03-2005, 05:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You still a cook? If so, that's a tough industry to be in for someone w/ drug/alcohol problems. Congrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could tell you, "no its not like that", but of course it is. The "tough" part is not staying away from insobreity, but being constantly around people who have a lifestyle that I have experienced and rejected. It is lonely more than anything else. So I post here.

CSC