PDA

View Full Version : AKs vs 4-flush

dfscott
04-02-2005, 02:34 AM
I've started ignoring flush draws for the most part, but once four of a suit come out and someone's calling me, I get a little jumpy. I basically question the way I played all 3 streets:

Flop: Too frisky with overcards and a gutshot?

Turn: Bet more?

River: What the heck do I do here?

Both opponents had been playing a lot of hands, and BB had shown a tendency to play back at me occasionally, but had also called me down with bottom pair.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney (20+2), Big Blind is t30 (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 (t710)
CO (t665)
Button (t1395)
SB (t1285)
BB (t745)
Hero (t1600)
UTG+1 (t450)
MP1 (t240)
MP2 (t910)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t90</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, Button calls t90, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls t60.

Flop: (t285) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t30</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t100</font>, Button calls t100, BB folds.

Turn: (t515) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t225</font>, Button calls t225.

River: (t965) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero ???

Apathy
04-02-2005, 02:51 AM
I like the way you played this hand, I also wouldnt mind attempting to check raise the turn all in. You made a continuation bet get called, then check... makes you look really weak, they bet and you move in.

I would check and call the river, a single heart in the villains hand isnt entirely likely since villain appears to have at least one pair on the board.

lastchance
04-02-2005, 03:37 AM
I guess I'd bet t400 on the turn, instead, which makes it different play. I'd also just call the flop.

I have to check the river, and I probably lay down most of the time.

raptor517
04-02-2005, 09:09 AM
interesting hand, and im going to go with an interesting way of playing the hand. ok, i dont like raising on the flop. but ill play it out assuming you do. i actually like checking the turn, and pushing if he makes a legitimate bet. if he checks behind, and the river peels another heart, well, its judgement time at that point. i duno, in NL there are a lot of neat little ways to play hands, and its fun to look at them all sometimes. 3uo

dfscott
04-02-2005, 10:24 AM
I think it's interesting that people are advocating just calling the min-bet on the flop. With two opponents in and two legitimate draws out there, I felt like I need to make a significant bet/raise to protect my overcard outs (maybe I'm thinking too much like a limit player here?).

1C5
04-02-2005, 11:13 AM
Are you playing 22s only now or still mixing? How have the 22s gone for you so far compared to the 11s?

ConorH
04-02-2005, 11:23 AM
I dont like the way you played that hand at all. With something like AKs and a generally weak table you have to push harder than 3 times the big blind. I think you played the hand poorly after the flop as well. You tried a bluff, didnt work. He comes back at you on the turn with 3 to the flush. If youre going to take the pot down, its going to be with an all-in bet on the turn. If he has the flush, so be it but you cant dance around it. If you dont make that bet on the turn, you shouldnt have raised him on the flop. BUT if you dont want to make that play, just slow down if youre AK doesnt hit with a dangerous board like that.

Phil Van Sexton
04-02-2005, 11:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's interesting that people are advocating just calling the min-bet on the flop. With two opponents in and two legitimate draws out there, I felt like I need to make a significant bet/raise to protect my overcard outs (maybe I'm thinking too much like a limit player here?).

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not quite as interested in protecting outs as just taking the pot down on the flop, or at least getting rid of the button so you have position on the turn and river.

The min-bettor may have nothing, so a raise may get rid of him. Your raise also puts the Button in a sandwich. He faces a raise with the original bettor still to act. Any sane player folds a J here.

This is much better than if it were checked to you and you bet 100. Now, he may well call your continuation bet with Jx.

This being said, I think 100 was too small compared to the pot. You have plenty of chips, but don't want to tangle with the Button's stack. I raise to 200.

I like the bet on the turn. You don't give a free card to a flush draw. It's small enough that worse hands will call.

I check and pray on the river.

dfscott
04-03-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Are you playing 22s only now or still mixing? How have the 22s gone for you so far compared to the 11s?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, after 200 at that 11s and few tournaments reviews from various 2+2'ers, I finally made the jump. IMHO, they seem very similar to the 11s, but if anything, the players are a bit more predictable (i.e., better FE). So far, I'm doing much better [insert generic sample size warning here].

1C5
04-03-2005, 07:03 PM
Good to know. Let me know anything else that is different as I have played 480 $11s now and will give the 22s a try after I hit 500.