PDA

View Full Version : theoretical heads up question. when to limp and when to raise.

TStoneMBD
04-02-2005, 01:07 AM
when playing heads up, ive adopted a selfcreated strategy that randomizes when i raise or limp in from the button. while playing, ill mentally note whether or not i am going to raise from the button or not, regardless of my holding. thats not to say that i will play 27o, it merely means that if i am going to play the hand, i have a preset raise/limp mode.

now if i see that there is an exploitable weakness in my opponents play that can only be exploited if i raise or limp from the button, i act accordingly.

if my strategy has merit, what raising/limping frequency should i abide by? is there a perfect mathematical pattern according to game theory that is most efficient? if villain folds his BB to a steal 7% of the time, approximately how often should i raise?

the purpose of the random element factor of button limping is to confuse the opponent. if he sees me limp with an ace twice in a row, but raise rags, he may think that he found a pattern when in fact he did not.

is it better to simply raise from the button every time i play it? inflating a pot when in position can only increase implied odds.

what is considered to be correct limping strategy from the button? it doesnt seem like it would be correct to simply always raise from the button.

cartman
04-02-2005, 07:13 AM
If it is folded to you on the button, I think it is DEFINITELY best to raise or fold. I steal quite a bit (around 35%) and I am profitable overall with practically every hand in my stealing criteria. Upon discovering this, I realized that I need to steal even more in order to find the proper threshold hands. In other words, I need to add some hands until I find the caliber of hands at which stealing starts to become unprofitable for me. I have now started stealing about 40% of the time.

Cartman

TStoneMBD
04-02-2005, 08:46 AM
my question isnt about shorthanded, its about headsup where the button posts the small blind.