View Full Version : Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

yaomama
04-02-2005, 12:52 AM

istewart
04-02-2005, 12:53 AM
Chinese and it's not even close.

Phoenix1010
04-02-2005, 12:59 AM
Toughest decision of my life. In Madison these choices make up like 80 percent of the local cheap fast food restaurants, so it's all I eat. I'll grudgingly give it to Mexican. If we're talking about high-end cooking though, nothing beats well prepared chinese food. I don't even know what an expensive Mexican meal would consist of.

jesusarenque
04-02-2005, 01:01 AM
Mescan food is tits.

tbach24
04-02-2005, 01:11 AM
Mexican food. I've really started to dislike Chinese as I've been introduced to other Asian foods (thai and sushi).

rusellmj
04-02-2005, 01:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't even know what an expensive Mexican meal would consist of.

[/ QUOTE ]

Considering Mexico has hundreds of miles of coastline I would think seafood.

BWebb
04-02-2005, 01:18 AM
This poll is a travesty. Chinese food is by far better. Not only is it delicious the first time, it is the best food to have as leftovers. Even better than pizza.

istewart
04-02-2005, 01:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This poll is a travesty. Chinese food is by far better. Not only is it delicious the first time, it is the best food to have as leftovers. Even better than pizza.

[/ QUOTE ]

Inthacup
04-02-2005, 01:20 AM
This poll is impossible to answer unless you add more details.

Cup

Isura
04-02-2005, 01:26 AM
I think chinese food doesn't make the top 3 east asian foods.
I take japanese, thai, or, korean food any day.

BWebb
04-02-2005, 01:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I think chinese food doesn't make the top 3 east asian foods.
I take japanese, thai, or, korean food any day.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about you stick to the [censored] question??

TimM
04-02-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Even better than pizza.

[/ QUOTE ]

Blasphemy

Victor
04-02-2005, 01:57 AM
across the board mexican is better. that is, the average mexican is far better than the average chinese.

but the best chinese is far better than the best mexican.

jesusarenque
04-02-2005, 02:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
across the board mexican is better. that is, the average mexican is far better than the average chinese.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I think the exact opposite is true.

jason_t
04-02-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Chinese is worse and it's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fixed your post.

Victor
04-02-2005, 02:12 AM
then you have never had good asian food.

willie
04-02-2005, 02:14 AM
mighty taco.

mexican in a walk.

mason55
04-02-2005, 02:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, i mean, are we talking taco bell vs. panda express? or is this like the best cuisine from acupulco vs. the best taiwanese food from taipei or the best shanghainese food at a 5 star in shanghai? id much rather have crappy mexican than crappy asian but i'd rather have amazing asian than amazing mexican, although different chinese cuisines rank differently in my book.

mason55
04-02-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This poll is impossible to answer unless you add more details.

Cup

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, this is like saying, which is better, american or european food?

ethan
04-02-2005, 02:18 AM
The best Chinese beats the hell out of the best Mexican. That said, I have Mexican much more often...the answer to this question depends entirely on what sort of meal I want and how much I want to spend. $5 will get me a good burrito and a cup of Horchata. If I want decent Chinese, I'm going to be spending 2-3x that. I've been known to spend 10x for _good_ Chinese. Dim sum rules, though. I'm not a huge fan of the Panda Express-style places where Chinese food is about $3/lb. I'll eat it, but at that price I'd rather have decent Mexican.

If I want good Chinese, I'll end up someplace like Empress Pavilion (http://dinesite.com/info/rstrnt-366149/??&t=0). There are plenty of other cuisines I'd choose first, though.

jesusarenque
04-02-2005, 02:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or perhaps you have never had good Mexican...

ethan
04-02-2005, 02:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Chinese is worse and it's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fixed your post.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you're talking about mediocre Chinese, yes. But good Chinese food can be pretty impressive.

jason_t
04-02-2005, 02:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you're talking about mediocre Chinese, yes. But good Chinese food can be pretty impressive.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but good Mexican is even better.

Victor
04-02-2005, 02:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah, i mean, are we talking taco bell vs. panda express? or is this like the best cuisine from acupulco vs. the best taiwanese food from taipei or the best shanghainese food at a 5 star in shanghai? id much rather have crappy mexican than crappy asian but i'd rather have amazing asian than amazing mexican, although different chinese cuisines rank differently in my book.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you nailed it.

i take the burrito joint on the corner vs. the chinese takeout place anyday. but the authentic expensive mexican place usually isnt much better than the burrito joint on the corner and it aint near as good as the authentic asian place.

ethan
04-02-2005, 02:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had good both. (Also I should note that we're only talking about Chinese food, not "asian".) Mexican food tends to be simpler, for better or for worse. There's a lot of room to go wrong in Chinese food, and a great many places do. With Mexican food - it's not too hard to make a good burrito, but some places make a great one. Still, a great burrito pales in comparison to great Chinese food. Great Chinese >>> Great Mexican.

As far as good "asian" food, I like A Thousand Cranes (http://www.japaneserestaurantguides.com/jrg/restaurants/1000cranes.html). It'll cost a lot. But goddam, is it ever good.

ethan
04-02-2005, 02:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but good Mexican is even better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mind providing me restaurants? I think you live pretty much where I do. The good Chinese I've had in LA has far surpassed the good Mexican.

mason55
04-02-2005, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i think you nailed it.

i take the burrito joint on the corner vs. the chinese takeout place anyday. but the authentic expensive mexican place usually isnt much better than the burrito joint on the corner and it aint near as good as the authentic asian place.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. i've eaten at the best mexican restaurants and they're not THAT much better than Chipotle or Don Pablo's. The best Chinese restaurants don't even come CLOSE to [censored] like Mark Pi's or Panda Express and gourmet chinese is amazing (my gf is from singapore and my old roommate was from korean [no i don't have yellow fever it just worked out that way] so i get the inside scoop /images/graemlins/cool.gif)

jesusarenque
04-02-2005, 02:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've had good both. (Also I should note that we're only talking about Chinese food, not "asian".) Mexican food tends to be simpler, for better or for worse. There's a lot of room to go wrong in Chinese food, and a great many places do. With Mexican food - it's not too hard to make a good burrito, but some places make a great one. Still, a great burrito pales in comparison to great Chinese food. Great Chinese >>> Great Mexican.

As far as good "asian" food, I like A Thousand Cranes (http://www.japaneserestaurantguides.com/jrg/restaurants/1000cranes.html). It'll cost a lot. But goddam, is it ever good.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize that, other than along the border, Mexicans don't eat burritos. Burritos (and much of the food you get at "Mexican" restaurants in the US) aren't Mexican food. It is TexMex.

mason55
04-02-2005, 02:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You do realize that, other than along the border, Mexicans don't eat burritos. Burritos (and much of the food you get at "Mexican" restaurants in the US) aren't Mexican food. It is TexMex.

[/ QUOTE ]

I spent many summers in Arizona ordering food in Spanish in the bad part of town. True, they don't really eat burritos, but all mexican food is mostly the same ingredients.

jesusarenque
04-02-2005, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I spent many summers in Arizona ordering food in Spanish in the bad part of town. True, they don't really eat burritos, but all mexican food is mostly the same ingredients.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, there is a big difference between TexMex and "real" Mexican food from central and southern Mexico. I lived in Acapulco for over a year, and I had some of the best meals of my life. While TexMex food consists mainly of different combinations of a few basic ingredients, Mexican food is actually quite diverse.

By the way, flour tortillas are just awful.

ethan
04-02-2005, 02:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've spent plenty of time near (or across) the border. Mexican food is really, really good. And it doesn't come anywhere close to good Chinese food. I'm not sure I can come up with adjectives describing how much better top-end Chinese cuisine is.

jesusarenque
04-02-2005, 02:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've spent plenty of time near (or across) the border. Mexican food is really, really good. And it doesn't come anywhere close to good Chinese food. I'm not sure I can come up with adjectives describing how much better top-end Chinese cuisine is.

[/ QUOTE ]

Border food isn't real Mexican food.

DBowling
04-02-2005, 06:15 AM
i really couldnt decide, ask me on any day of the week and you might get a different answer. i ended up choosing chinese because i like their women slightly more than i like mexican women.

AncientPC
04-02-2005, 01:55 PM
I'm Chinese so I'm a bit biased.

My old college roommate was Mexican and his grandma made some of the best food I've ever tasted.

I've only been to Mexico once, but I liked the food in China / Taiwan so much better.

If you're talking about Americanized versions of the food though, I'd probably have to go with Mexican.

Edit: After reading the thread, Victor sums it up nicely for me.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

spamuell
04-02-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a terrible analogy if it's meant to be a difficult choice.

AncientPC
04-02-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

European, and it's not even close.

spamuell
04-02-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

European, and it's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to remove British food though, which American easily beats. I was a staunch supporter of the "British food is misrepresented and is actually tasty" camp, until I spent a couple of weeks in Philadelphia at the end of March, and I realised that actually it is pretty bad compared to what I had there.

AncientPC
04-02-2005, 02:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You have to remove British food though, which American easily beats. I was a staunch supporter of the "British food is misrepresented and is actually tasty" camp, until I spent a couple of weeks in Philadelphia at the end of March, and I realised that actually it is pretty bad compared to what I had there.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a given. Even the British recommend outsiders to eat elsewhere.

mason55
04-02-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Way to miss the entire point of my post. THAT'S THE ENTIRE POINT: THAT CERTAIN REGIONS ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS.

jesus effin christ

spamuell
04-02-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Way to miss the entire point of my post. THAT'S THE ENTIRE POINT: THAT CERTAIN REGIONS ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS.

jesus effin christ

[/ QUOTE ]

But you can still find a clear overall winner in one instance and not another, so your analogy is bad.

What you're doing is like saying to someone who got 98/100 questions right on their test, "How can I possibly score this?THERE ARE CERTAIN QUESTIONS MORE RIGHT THAN OTHERS!"

jesus effin christ indeed

mason55
04-02-2005, 04:00 PM
You're saying that the person got 100/100, once you remove the tough questions. I'm saying that 98/100 is better than 75/100 but you still have to grade all the questions and they're not all correct.

spamuell
04-02-2005, 04:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're saying that the person got 100/100, once you remove the tough questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol no I'm saying that the person got 98/100 which is better than 75/100 and even if neither is perfect but you can still clearly see which one is better.

Lol this really does not matter at all, this argument is ridiculous.

mcb
04-02-2005, 04:46 PM
Gota go with chinese.

mason55
04-02-2005, 04:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You're saying that the person got 100/100, once you remove the tough questions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol no I'm saying that the person got 98/100 which is better than 75/100 and even if neither is perfect but you can still clearly see which one is better.

Lol this really does not matter at all, this argument is ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that what OOT is about /images/graemlins/wink.gif

RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE

jakethebake
04-02-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chinese and it's not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bwahahahahaha! You're clearly insane...or you're just unlucky enough to live somewhere where there is no good Mexican food. Either way I feel sorry for you.

Dr. Strangelove
04-02-2005, 06:43 PM
Mexicans are delicious.