PDA

View Full Version : Pocket 5s in the big blind with a short stack

SuitedPair
04-01-2005, 10:42 PM
First, I want to thank everyone here. I started playing last summer and started reading this site late last year and it's been a big help (I used to limp with Q8o). I don't get a chance to play a lot, and its only for entertainment, I hope posting and discussing hands will overcome some lack of experience.

$10+1, no reads. First hand of level 4. While not the shortest stack, I'm less than 5bb after posting.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t100 (6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Hero (t575)
UTG (t1245)
MP (t185)
CO (t1430)
Button (t2420)
SB (t2145)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif. UTG posts a blind of t100. CO posts a blind of t100.
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t225</font>, SB calls t175, <font color="#CC3333">Hero ??</font>

Fold and wait, call and push flop, or all-in?

raptor517
04-01-2005, 10:43 PM
utg calls and cutoff calls and button raises. err, yea, go ahead and fold. im not sure which hand i would push tho.. maybe.. 1010+? 99 would be close i think. AQo would be close too i would think. who knows. yeayea, fold that 55 for sure tho. holla

codewarrior
04-01-2005, 10:45 PM
First: You're welcome.

Second: Push.

apd138
04-01-2005, 10:53 PM
Two limpers dont bother me its the redic low raise.

raptor517
04-01-2005, 10:55 PM
wait wait, foreal? like its not even close? sigh, i MUST have a lot to learn.. i still fold here btw.. meh

lastchance
04-01-2005, 10:58 PM
How much dead money do you think you can get into this pot? And did button raise over two limpers?

This is by far the best hand you're seeing, and you're going to be bleeding off a quarter of your stack in the blinds, but there's a lot of action.

How bad does MP suck? Can he fold this? Can SB fold if button calls?

raptor517
04-01-2005, 10:59 PM
how is 55 KNOWING you will be called the best hand and situation you will see? i just have to disagree.. 3uo

lastchance
04-01-2005, 11:25 PM
It's not the situation, but it's certainly the best hand. I'll take a coinflip if you can get t400 of dead money into that pot.

SuitedPair
04-01-2005, 11:35 PM
Looks like the converter messed up, sorry I didn't check. UTG didn't post a blind. There were three folds and the button raised to 225 and SB called.

SuitedPair
04-01-2005, 11:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How bad does MP suck? Can he fold this? Can SB fold if button calls?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, no reads at all. I was at work cleaning up my desk and was passing time.

kyro
04-01-2005, 11:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
wait wait, foreal? like its not even close? sigh, i MUST have a lot to learn.. i still fold here btw.. meh

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's very close. Had SB folded it'd be an easy push, but both are almost certainly going to call your push now. I might push at the chance to triple up but I honestly think I'd fold as well. Tough hand.

lastchance
04-02-2005, 12:09 AM
I push. I think it's close, but I'm going to go on a limb and push this. It's a pretty whimsical answer, but that's what I think.

Texas Pete
04-02-2005, 12:30 AM
If put the button on any Group 1-8 hand and the small blind on 66-AA/suited ace/two big cards, your 55 is 31% to win. Thus it's probably a -CEV push and almost certainly a -$EV push if you can't fold them.

Jurollo
04-02-2005, 03:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
how is 55 KNOWING you will be called the best hand and situation you will see? i just have to disagree.. 3uo

[/ QUOTE ]
You arent going to be called by the best hand here, likely AK-AT, KQ-KJ, so you just need to dodge face cards to almost triple up. I push here every time, it is very +EV in the long run.
~Justin

raptor517
04-02-2005, 08:09 AM
you dont have enough fold equity to make BOTH the sb and the button fold, you simply have too few chips. you are getting called in two spots, and your 55 is very likely far behind. if the sb didnt call you can push here no doubt. but he did call, so i fold. 3uo

SuitedPair
04-02-2005, 05:50 PM
I let the time almost drain off on this one. Easy fold if it was raised before the button. The button’s almost min-raise and SB’s call didn’t make me think I was worse then 50/50, I figured I would be up against two overcards. If I pushed I thought button would fold because SB was still left to act or would push to isolate, so I thought it would be heads up if I pushed. I also thought there was a 20% or so chance that they would fold and I’d pick up the pot uncontested, doubling up my stack. If called I think I’m 50/50 to triple up.

I did think about calling and pushing any non-ace flop. But I thought it would be better to play the hand v. one opponent than 2. Plus, not being the first to act I would have to fold if SB bet the flop.

I pushed, button folded and SB called. Flips over ATo and hits the A on river.

One of my possible leaks is playing as a short stack with high blinds. I have to remind myself to be patient and its best to be the first in the pot. Here I was a very distant fifth and felt I needed to make a move before the blinds came back to me – 6 hands, otherwise I would have close to zero FE.

Texas Pete
04-02-2005, 07:53 PM
Nice analysis. I didn't realize at first that Button would fold out of fear of SB. Very very good point. OTOH I don't think you can count on SB having just overcards all the time. Regardless it is still a good bet, since you are 48% to win if you put him on 22-AA/any suited ace/A9os/Any two big cards (T-A).