PDA

View Full Version : almost in the money, call all in w/ KQs or fold and hang on

sbu97
04-01-2005, 10:28 PM
Playing the $5,000 players club freerole on PP. Was having a tough go of things and only had 14,000 or so left. Blinds were 3000/1500 and about to go up on the next hand. Money paid to the top 30 and there were 32 players left, only two with stacks slightly smaller than mine. On about each hand, players were stealing the blinds.

I was in the BB, dealt K /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif, and was raised from middle postion, putting me all-in. I called, and lost to raisers A /images/graemlins/diamond.gifK /images/graemlins/spade.gif.

Was I impatient, or was it the right call? I am thinking I should have held on, and, if I got blinded out, I got blinded out. Then again, I did lose, so I feel like crap.

Raydain
04-01-2005, 10:39 PM
I would probably fold regardless of how close to the bubble you are

Bigdaddydvo
04-01-2005, 10:45 PM
Call CO or Button since it might be a steal. Otherwise, give him credit for a hand and fold.

betgo
04-01-2005, 11:16 PM
You are getting about 4-3 pot odds in the BB. I might call a middle position raiser here. It depends on your read on the raiser. With KQs, you are a little behind Ax, but only in trouble versus AA, KK, QQ, AK, and AQ.

iMsoLucky0
04-02-2005, 12:46 AM
I think it's a clear fold. You still have plenty of chips to be patient, and for christ's sake, you've got KING HIGH!

Piers
04-02-2005, 01:04 AM
You need to judge what range of hands the raiser would raise on.

If you think he is only playing 66, ATs, AJo or better then fold.

If you suspect he might raise with hands like 22, KJs, A4s, A8o then call.

NorthernGuy
04-02-2005, 02:03 AM
If that player often raised from MP or any position, I would easily call. If they rarely raised, then I might consider folding. Seems to close to bubble that someone might be opening up their raising hands.

Nottom
04-02-2005, 01:04 PM
I think its fold and not really all that tough a fold. I'd open push with KQs all-day, but I hate calling with it.

Roman
04-02-2005, 01:19 PM
against any semi-resonable opponent this is an easy fold.

Martin Aigner
04-02-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Seems to close to bubble that someone might be opening up their raising hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially in bubble situations one should open up the raising standards. Anyway, KQ should be a clear raising hand but is no hand to call all in with (when not very short stacked).

Best regards

Martin Aigner

Bob T.
04-02-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think its fold and not really all that tough a fold. I'd open push with KQs all-day, but I hate calling with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. In your situation, you really don't want to be facing an ace, and you could likely be in the money in the next lap or two. Change your hand to AKs, and I think you probably want to play, because now you are in a good position against any other ace and doubling up, probably moves you well into the payouts.

sbu97
04-02-2005, 09:03 PM
thanks for all of your comments. You confirmed that I felt I made a mistake. Although, the opponents in that game are generally not very reasonable, so I felt that I had a decent chance of having the best hand. also, It looked like I didn't have much time left and it was the best hand I had opened with in over an hour and a half, and it looked to me as though I had a good chance of being blinded out of the tournament, so I guess it was an act of desperation.