PDA

View Full Version : Did I play this horribly?

Allan
10-21-2002, 12:29 AM
Here is a hand that I played today that I'm not sure I played correctly. I have a fealing that I probably messed up on 4th and that is my big concern for right now. Feal free to rip it apart.........

paradise 2-4 $.25 ante $1 bring in

about %30 seeing 4th while there is some chance of stealing antes every now and then.

2d
(6c 6h) Jh
Ah
Tc
3d
Th
Kh
4c

2d brings it in for $1 and I raise to try and steal the antes which fails miserably. The Tc calls and the Kh makes it 2 bets 4c calls 2 cold. the bring in folds I call and Tc calls.

4th

(6c 6h) Jh 6d
Tc 5s
Kh Qd
4c 7d

Kh Qd bets and we all call. Is slow playing here a mistake?

5th

(6c 6h) Jh 6d 9d
Tc 5s Ts
Kh Qd Qc
4c 7d 4s

well here goes.....KQQ bets called to me and I raise. T5T calls cold and it gets called around except for 474 who folds. I was fairly confident that I had the best hand. Basically every board catches something big. I raised here for value and to see if I might be behind. The fact that it was only called led me to believe I was up against some 2 pair hands. My board looks like garbage and I believe anything that could beat me would have reraised.

6th

(6c 6h) Jh 6d 9d Ks
Tc 5s Ts 2h
Kh Qd Qc Js

Checked to me I bet and it gets called by the two opponents

7th

(6c 6h) Jh 6d 9d Ks (Ac)
Tc 5s Ts 2h (x)
Kh Qd Qc Js (x)

checked to me I bet and only the KQQJ calls....

Any and all comments appreciated.....

Thanks,

Allan

Andy B
10-21-2002, 01:32 AM
You didn't play horribly at all. On third street, I think you only have a limp at best. You have the entire field to act after you, and that includes an Ace and a King. It would be extremely optimistic to think that you could steal in your position. If the game is tight and aggressive, you should at least consider mucking, but I don't imagine there are that many super-tough $1/2 games around. To be sure, if the game is tough enough for you to consider folding in this spot, you should look for a different game.

Anyway, on fourth street, I would usually raise, but calling is just fine. On fifth, I'd be concerned about the TT on board. He called a full bet and has hit his door card. That he now calls two bets cold is even more worrisome. The guy with open Queens is representing Kings-up, and your raise should mean that you have that beaten. I don't automatically credit the guy with trip Tens, but I'd be concerned. The fact that I'm concerned doesn't prevent me from betting though. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Good bets on sixth and especially seventh street. I see lots of folks check in spots like that, and I'm glad they do it. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Nice hand. Well played.

10-21-2002, 08:53 AM
I agree with Andy that you didn't play horribly at all. But, I've put in a lot of time in that PP 2-4, and I DO think you played 3rd and 4th wrong. Trying to steal out of position is a bad play in that game -- relatively low ante and lots of callers plus (ususally) some decent fairly aggressive players. On fourth, your trips are low and you want to make them fold to protect. After that, though, I think you played well. I agree with Andy, the other side of playing in loose games where players make a lot of calling errors is to value bet -- I've been called with solo high pairs many times in that game.

SittingBull
10-22-2002, 03:10 AM
to act,U should not raise on 3rd. However,with one overcard to your pair,raising is correct because the risk of someone having an over-pair is not as great.
I agree with Andy and MRB--U played well on 5th ,6th,and 7th.
I would have been more aggressive on 4th--even if I'm declaring my hand.
When U have two or more players in with U and they have overcards to your set,it's more dangerous for U to slow-play your set.
It's more likely that one of them might connect with a higher set.
Make them pay the price to try.

Happy pokering,Allen!
Nice take down! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif
Sitting Bull

10-25-2002, 02:55 PM
While I agree the 3rd street raise is wrong, it may wind up having the effect that others will put you on aces or kings with dead cards rather than trips with live cards.