PDA

View Full Version : Calculating combanatorials on a calculator?

twosneverlose
04-01-2005, 08:06 PM
I'm fairly new to the mathematics of poker and have been seeing 50 C 2 for example alot, I realize now what this mean but how is it that you figure the total combinations. One post i have seen said to use a scientfic calculator. I have a Ti-89, Ti-81, and a Ti-30xa, but can not figure out how to do it on these. Is it possible? or what model of calculator do i need?

gaming_mouse
04-01-2005, 08:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm fairly new to the mathematics of poker and have been seeing 50 C 2 for example alot, I realize now what this mean but how is it that you figure the total combinations. One post i have seen said to use a scientfic calculator. I have a Ti-89, Ti-81, and a Ti-30xa, but can not figure out how to do it on these. Is it possible? or what model of calculator do i need?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure there is a way to do this on the calculators you mentioned, but you'd have to get the manual.

Google can also do it.

Try typing in:

50 choose 2

or

7!

CrazyN8
04-01-2005, 08:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure there is a way to do this on the calculators you mentioned, but you'd have to get the manual.

Google can also do it.

Try typing in:

50 choose 2

or

7!

[/ QUOTE ]

wow, that's pretty sweet! Learn something new everyday.

BruceZ
04-01-2005, 08:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you don't have a key for C(n,k), but you have a factorial key (labeled !), then you can compute C(n,k) as n!/k!/(n-k)!. For example, C(50,2) = 50!/2!/48!.

Oblivious
04-02-2005, 06:20 AM
I have a ti85, but it should be similar to what you would do on a ti89. Press [2nd], then push the button labeled "MATH" (its over the multiplication key on mine). Once in the "MATH" menu select "PROB". Type the first number for you combination, for example, 50 choose 2, you should hit [5], [0], then select the softkey for "nCr", then select the last number of you combination, in this case, [2]. Hit enter and see how many combinations you have.

Ass Master
04-04-2005, 11:57 PM
I don't use a calculator, but the ubiquitous MS Excel has a built-in function COMBIN(x, y) that calculates "x choose y."

XChamp
04-05-2005, 02:26 AM
On the Ti-89 just press "CATALOG" then go to "nCr(". You can get to it faster by just pressing the "6" key (which corresponds to 'n'). The calculator will save your most recent CATALOG selection so you dont even have to search for it the next time.

You can also just type in ncr(x,y) to compute x C y.

If you want to get the factorial function quickly just press the green diamond then the division key.

After using this thing for years I know a lot of the ins and outs. I find it much more useful to use than Excel or Mathamatica for simple tasks.

irchans
04-05-2005, 04:30 AM
Try typing in 170! and 171! into google.

gaming_mouse
04-05-2005, 04:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Try typing in 170! and 171! into google.

[/ QUOTE ]

so what? it has a limit. it's bigger than most calculators.