PDA

View Full Version : I'm officially going on a diet

tbach24
04-01-2005, 07:31 PM
Well I just devoured an entire pizza and last time I checked I was up to 161 (my low for the year was a fit-looking 150). So, even though I've had plenty of attempts at dieting that failed miserably due to lack of commitment, I'm going to start a new one. This time, I'd like some help though. What are good tips for eating? I've heard that 6 small meals is better than 3 big ones. Also, what types of foods should I be eating. I can only go to the gym once a week, so besides abs and pushups, what other exercizes can I do? And to what magnitude?

I got into a new high school next year (yay me!) where there will be girls and I'd not like to look like a piece of cookie dough.

Thanks for any help.

GrekeHaus
04-01-2005, 07:38 PM
Your 161 pounds and thinking of going on a diet? Are you 5'1"?

PoBoy321
04-01-2005, 07:39 PM
Whoa, you're in High School? I always thought you were like 24.

Oh, and don't transfer to a co-ed school just for the sake of going to school with girls. All-boys school is awesome, and you'll realize that when you're out.

mason55
04-01-2005, 07:40 PM
www.myfooddiary.com (http://www.myfooddiary.com)

really helps me lose weight. it costs a few bucks a month but totally worth it in my opinion. you'll be not only fit, but healthy as well, in terms of carb/fat/protein ration and getting enough vitamins and keeping low on sodium.

tbach24
04-01-2005, 07:41 PM
I'm 5'11. I'm not very fit though and my body disgusts me.

bd8802
04-01-2005, 07:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
last time I checked I was up to 161

[/ QUOTE ]

wow! fat ass.

Nothing but water for you.

tbach24
04-01-2005, 07:45 PM
Yeah, I'm 17. The school I go to has 9 boys and is somewhat like a halfway house. A lot of us have theraputic backgrounds. I'm leaving to get a better education, go to a school with athletics, and that has girls. My last school was all-boys as well with 50 kids and was theraputic. So, my experiences with all-boys schools aren't too great.

GrekeHaus
04-01-2005, 07:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm 5'11. I'm not very fit though and my body disgusts me.

[/ QUOTE ]

In that case, I recommend lifting weights instead of trying some diet. I'm 6'1", and if I weighed 161, I'd be less than 0% body fat (it's true, I did the math).

TimM
04-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Just work out more, you are young. Stay about the same weight but reduce the body fat. If that doesn't work then you can think about dieting.

tbach24
04-01-2005, 07:50 PM
I can only get to the gym once a week and lately I've been doing more cardio when I'm there. I have really only an hour to do it. Is there a lot of exercises I could do when I'm not at the gym and don't have equipment?

CrazyN8
04-01-2005, 07:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What are good tips for eating? I've heard that 6 small meals is better than 3 big ones. Also, what types of foods should I be eating. I can only go to the gym once a week, so besides abs and pushups, what other exercizes can I do? And to what magnitude?

[/ QUOTE ]

4 meals, not sure about 6. This keeps your metabolism going. Drink plenty of water but don't over do it(lay off sodas). Eat balanced meals. I would lower carbs and increase protein (don't stop eating carbs - that's gay - look what it got Dr. Atkins...exactly)

Push-ups
=incline - hands above feet
=decline - hands below feet (i.e. put feet on the couch or something)
=regular with twist ( try holding a basketball <hands on top of b-ball> while doing pushups - hard, eh?)

abs
=raised-leg crunches
=leg pull-ins

legs
=lunges
=body weight squats

chin-ups

tricep dips

young nut
Yeah man, the standard weight for a male at 5'11" is like somewhere around 170-175. Don't worry too much about your weight. If its muscle you need to build, don't bother dieting too much, just go to the gym and lift. There is nothing bad about going on a diet though, especially if you are eating whole pizzas /images/graemlins/grin.gif But you are still in high school, you are still developing.

GrekeHaus
You should try and make more time to go. When you're there, do weight training. You can do cardio stuff like running or biking away from there.

mason55
04-01-2005, 07:55 PM
don't do cardio at the gym if you can only get there once/week. you can run around the yard or something whenever you feel like it.

2 most important things to do at the gym would be bench press and squats. you wanna get a full body muscle work out.

CrazyN8
04-01-2005, 07:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
don't do cardio at the gym if you can only get there once/week. you can run around the yard or something whenever you feel like it.

2 most important things to do at the gym would be bench press and squats. you wanna get a full body muscle work out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would add to that pull-ups....that would be the shortest, most complete workout you could get.

mason55
04-01-2005, 07:59 PM
you can do pull ups anywhere. you can go to a playground and do pullups. or buy a pull up bar

tbach24
04-01-2005, 07:59 PM
Wow, this is great. Thanks a lot.

stankybank
04-01-2005, 08:01 PM
I guess for the most part, avoid too many carbs. eat lots of salmon and chicken. avoid too much red meat. don't eat fast food. eat less portions, more meals in duration when you get hungry. don't eat right before bedtime. do cardio.

take breaks when you play poker. stretch, breathe, whatever you got to do for 5 minutes before you sit back down again.

PS - I know how eating a whole pizza can make you feel pretty disgusting, I came close couple times but couldn't do it. I think it was like 7-8 slices max I ate out of 10. Anyhow, this post reminded me of the times I dusted off 20 piece chicken mcnuggets and 18 or 20 pieces of KFC hot wings. gross.

tbach24
04-01-2005, 08:01 PM
I've tried squats and I really can't get the motion down. Should I just start w/o weights? If I've been working out lately, all i've been doing is pecs and triceps. sometimes biceps too.

The Yugoslavian
04-01-2005, 08:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if I weighed 161, I'd be less than 0% body fat

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but you weigh a helluvalot more than that.

Fatass, /images/graemlins/tongue.gif.

As for the original OP, if you're 5'11" and ~160 I just can't see how you're fat (unless you're missing limbs...perhaps). Maybe you've got no muscle and aren't skinny, but there's no way you're *fat*.

Find a way to go to the gym more frequently than once a week. Even just 2 or 3 times a week would probably serve you better. If you can only go once a week really try to hit your muscles as hard as possible since you'll have plenty of rest time in between days.

Also, if you get some muscle tone, then whatever fat you *do* have will not be as 'doughy' or whatever - you'll look less fat (but not scrawny - if you want that look, then just cut out a ton of calories from your diet or move to some 3rd world country).

Yugoslav

tbach24
04-01-2005, 08:04 PM
I've probably done it about 10-15 times this year. My metabolism is pretty good I think.

mason55
04-01-2005, 08:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've tried squats and I really can't get the motion down. Should I just start w/o weights? If I've been working out lately, all i've been doing is pecs and triceps. sometimes biceps too.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah start with the lightest you can do with good form. good form is WAY more important than lifting the heaviest possible weights. bad form just makes the exercise worthless. also, get someone there to help you, people at the gym love to show off how smart they are, take advantage of them.

tbach24
04-01-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah start with the lightest you can do with good form. good form is WAY more important than lifting the heaviest possible weights. bad form just makes the exercise worthless. also, get someone there to help you, people at the gym love to show off how smart they are, take advantage of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whenever I'm in the free weights section, it's either me by myself, or me helping out someone who has no idea what's going on unfortunately. When I'm home in a month, I'll see my brother and friend (who will end up being a weight trainer when he's older, guaranteed) and they'll both be able to show me the form I guess.

tbach24
04-01-2005, 08:08 PM
I just remembered, I don't really have a place to do chin-ups or dips. Is there something I could do instead?

Edit- wait...chinups are with your palms facing you and pull-ups are with your palms away, right? I still don't know anywhere I could do them here...

mason55
04-01-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just remembered, I don't really have a place to do chin-ups or dips. Is there something I could do instead?

Edit- wait...chinups are with your palms facing you and pull-ups are with your palms away, right? I still don't know anywhere I could do them here...

[/ QUOTE ]

can you buy a chipup bar and put it in a doorway? i've done that every single place i've ever lived.

tbach24
04-01-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

can you buy a chipup bar and put it in a doorway? i've done that every single place i've ever lived.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they easily breakable (my roomate is the most hyper, destructive kid ever)?

STLantny
04-01-2005, 08:52 PM
T-mag.com rules....and as someoene said before dont transfer to a co-ed school, I went to a all male catholic school, best 4 years....and you meet lots of hot catholic school girls to hang out with, while tehy are in uniform....

gvibes
04-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Buy a chin-up bar

I've done dips using just two stools, or the backs of two stable chairs.

If you're 5'11" and 161, I would add to the litany of other responses and say that you should be lifting. I love squats and deadlifts. The following book Horrible name, but still good (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/9963616097/qid=1112403648/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-8249144-2131916?v=glance&s=books) taught me what I believe is excellent technique. I've had several people randomly comment that my squat and deadlift form is perfect, and I learned exclusively from this book.

Other than that, eat more protein and good fats, and eat less cards (espeically high glycemic index ones), and you should be fine.

mason55
04-01-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Are they easily breakable (my roomate is the most hyper, destructive kid ever)?

[/ QUOTE ]

no... you screw a piece of metal into each side of a doorway and then screw a metal bar into it. i mean, they have to hold up a 250lb person doing chin ups, i doubt your roommate could rip it down.

tbach24
04-01-2005, 09:14 PM
Do you have a link or a pic of one of these?

mason55
04-01-2005, 09:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Do you have a link or a pic of one of these?

[/ QUOTE ]

not me (http://www.flickr.com/photos/34219563@N00/8146831/)

that's the one from my last house. that's not me hanging on it though.