PDA

View Full Version : To Howard and Paul: A Backing Request!

Vince Lepore
04-01-2005, 07:13 PM
Dear Paul and Howard,

I am desperate! The Bellagio Third Annual Five Star Event begins Next Week! I need you! I am a broke Poker Pro. I need backing in these tournaments. You are the only two people in this whole world that I feel I can approach with this request. We have never met, that is true. But I have been a big fan of each of you ever since the beginning of the WPT. I have followed both of your careers with keen interest and have wondered at your tremendous consistent play and accomplishments. You two are, in my humble opinion, simply the best.

My research has shown you two to be open, honest and caring men. Men of character worthy of all of the admiration that many here and on other poker discussion groups have showered upon you. Others have told me that you both are generous kind fellows that are always “there” to help a fellow poker pro.

I am that poker pro that needs help. Let me tell you a little about why you should back me.
1) Mason Malmuth is a buddy of mine. Yes, the Mason Malmuth. I would ask Mason to back me but he’s been too busy editing a Sklansky manuscript to return my calls. At least that’s what his wife tells me when I call. I have no reason to believe otherwise since we are best friends and I don’t have any reason to think he would avoid me
2) David Sklansky talks to me once in a while in the sports book at the Bellagio. Well, actually he stares at me and laughs. I know this doesn’t sound like much but anyone that knows David knows that he doesn’t find a lot of things funny enough to laugh at. Well, at least not in the sports book. I would ask David but he never stops laughing long enough for me to get a word in edge wise.
3) I once met and shook hands with James Woods. He’s a poker player now you know. So by shaking my hand one could imply that he respected my play. Don’t you think?
4) I flopped Quad Aces against ARod in a 15-30 Holdem Game at Bellagio. It was before the start of last baseball season and I believe one of the reasons that the Red Sox won the World Series or at least the play offs against the Yankees. This should convince you that I have the ability to win the WSOP. World Series of Baseball, World Series of Poker… you see the connection.
5) I am listed on the Hendon Mob Web Site as a major tournament pro. I understand that they only show two small Omaha Hi/lo tournament placing but that should be enough for pros of your caliber to see that I will excel at WPT No Limit Tournaments once given the chance. A chance I am begging you to provide for me.
6) Jennifer Harmon, Chip Reese, Lee Salem, some Ira guy and someone else were playing $4000-8000 at the table next to my 15-30 game last night. I could see how they were playing and picked up a lot. Well at least until the security gaurd told me to clear the area. I felt a little disrespected at first but then she threw David Sklansky out too so I felt better then. But just in the short time that I watched I saw Jennifer win a big pot (I hope she doesn’t mind me calling her by her first name. I have never met her. Well once but I’m sure she doesn’t remember me). Of course they were playing 2-7 draw but I don’t see how that would make a difference to my Holdem Game. A poker game is a poker game is a poker game, I always say.

I could go on but I’m sure that you can tell from these few examples that I am the man you want on your team. Don’t get me wrong I don’t mean to imply that you guys are cross booking each other in those big WPT tourneys I only want you to feel as if I’m your “horse”. Not a horse to be ridden because I don’t do things like that…anymore. By horse I mean like when you bet on a horse in a horse race. You know like Seabiscuit. Well, not just like Seabiscuit because I think he’s dead. Speaking of Seabiscuit, I forgot, but I once saw Toby McGuire playing no-limit at the Mirage. That should count for something in my favor. It was funny too because he was trying to disguise himself with a beard and baseball cap. Oh yeah and one time in a Mirage tournament I knocked out Norm McDonald but he was the only one I knocked out because I got knocked out on the next hand. But at least I knocked him out. IF you don’t believe me you can ask Gabe Vetri. He sometimes posts on 2 + 2 and can verify that I knocked Norm out because he is Norm’s buddy.

Well, there you have it. I think you should have enough information to make an informed decision. I estimate that I need about 45k to compete comfortably in the Bellagio Tournament. Of course I could play Satellites and keep the cost down. Say to maybe 30k. Chickenfeed for “players” of your stature and wealth. For your investment I’ll give you 30%. O.K. 40%…wait…wait 60%..70? 82.5? Ok you name it and I’m there. Please let me know soon because if you guys can’t do it I’ll have to ask Mason and he’s hard to get on the phone.

Thanks Paul and Howard for listening.

Vince

Oluwafemi
04-01-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Dear Paul and Howard,

I am desperate! The Bellagio Third Annual Five Star Event begins Next Week! I need you! I am a broke Poker Pro. I need backing in these tournaments. You are the only two people in this whole world that I feel I can approach with this request. We have never met, that is true. But I have been a big fan of each of you ever since the beginning of the WPT. I have followed both of your careers with keen interest and have wondered at your tremendous consistent play and accomplishments. You two are, in my humble opinion, simply the best.

My research has shown you two to be open, honest and caring men. Men of character worthy of all of the admiration that many here and on other poker discussion groups have showered upon you. Others have told me that you both are generous kind fellows that are always “there” to help a fellow poker pro.

I am that poker pro that needs help. Let me tell you a little about why you should back me.
1) Mason Malmuth is a buddy of mine. Yes, the Mason Malmuth. I would ask Mason to back me but he’s been too busy editing a Sklansky manuscript to return my calls. At least that’s what his wife tells me when I call. I have no reason to believe otherwise since we are best friends and I don’t have any reason to think he would avoid me
2) David Sklansky talks to me once in a while in the sports book at the Bellagio. Well, actually he stares at me and laughs. I know this doesn’t sound like much but anyone that knows David knows that he doesn’t find a lot of things funny enough to laugh at. Well, at least not in the sports book. I would ask David but he never stops laughing long enough for me to get a word in edge wise.
3) I once met and shook hands with James Woods. He’s a poker player now you know. So by shaking my hand one could imply that he respected my play. Don’t you think?
4) I flopped Quad Aces against ARod in a 15-30 Holdem Game at Bellagio. It was before the start of last baseball season and I believe one of the reasons that the Red Sox won the World Series or at least the play offs against the Yankees. This should convince you that I have the ability to win the WSOP. World Series of Baseball, World Series of Poker… you see the connection.
5) I am listed on the Hendon Mob Web Site as a major tournament pro. I understand that they only show two small Omaha Hi/lo tournament placing but that should be enough for pros of your caliber to see that I will excel at WPT No Limit Tournaments once given the chance. A chance I am begging you to provide for me.
6) Jennifer Harmon, Chip Reese, Lee Salem, some Ira guy and someone else were playing $4000-8000 at the table next to my 15-30 game last night. I could see how they were playing and picked up a lot. Well at least until the security gaurd told me to clear the area. I felt a little disrespected at first but then she threw David Sklansky out too so I felt better then. But just in the short time that I watched I saw Jennifer win a big pot (I hope she doesn’t mind me calling her by her first name. I have never met her. Well once but I’m sure she doesn’t remember me). Of course they were playing 2-7 draw but I don’t see how that would make a difference to my Holdem Game. A poker game is a poker game is a poker game, I always say.

I could go on but I’m sure that you can tell from these few examples that I am the man you want on your team. Don’t get me wrong I don’t mean to imply that you guys are cross booking each other in those big WPT tourneys I only want you to feel as if I’m your “horse”. Not a horse to be ridden because I don’t do things like that…anymore. By horse I mean like when you bet on a horse in a horse race. You know like Seabiscuit. Well, not just like Seabiscuit because I think he’s dead. Speaking of Seabiscuit, I forgot, but I once saw Toby McGuire playing no-limit at the Mirage. That should count for something in my favor. It was funny too because he was trying to disguise himself with a beard and baseball cap. Oh yeah and one time in a Mirage tournament I knocked out Norm McDonald but he was the only one I knocked out because I got knocked out on the next hand. But at least I knocked him out. IF you don’t believe me you can ask Gabe Vetri. He sometimes posts on 2 + 2 and can verify that I knocked Norm out because he is Norm’s buddy.

Well, there you have it. I think you should have enough information to make an informed decision. I estimate that I need about 45k to compete comfortably in the Bellagio Tournament. Of course I could play Satellites and keep the cost down. Say to maybe 30k. Chickenfeed for “players” of your stature and wealth. For your investment I’ll give you 30%. O.K. 40%…wait…wait 60%..70? 82.5? Ok you name it and I’m there. Please let me know soon because if you guys can’t do it I’ll have to ask Mason and he’s hard to get on the phone.

Thanks Paul and Howard for listening.

Vince

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
nothing else needs to be said.

[/ QUOTE ]

Beerfund
04-01-2005, 07:25 PM
That was a lot of typing, wouldn't "I'm an idiot" have been easier? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Voltron87
04-01-2005, 07:29 PM
There were a couple bits there which were funny. The first post of yours which had any redeeming value.

Vince Lepore
04-01-2005, 07:33 PM
Thank you.

vince

Mike Gallo
04-01-2005, 07:51 PM
Vince,

Good post. I miss the days of the Volkswagon van and the "According to Vince" forum.

If you need a back, send me a pm. I know a bent nose who offers to back me all the time.

Mike Gallo
04-01-2005, 07:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That was a lot of typing, wouldn't "I'm an idiot" have been easier? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

How about you responding..nice Aprils Fool Joke. Vince is a legend around here.

trying2learn
04-01-2005, 08:09 PM
that was the best vince post i've ever read...hands down.

granted, i've only been reading his thoughts for about 6 months, so if he was a legend before then I don't know about that.

funny stuff...finally.

Voltron87
04-01-2005, 08:44 PM
It's a compliment in one way, because this post made me laugh, but an insult in every other, since I also said all your other posts were less than worthless.

Vince Lepore
04-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Well let me tell you what Ive' PM'd to quite a few people that have replied to me. And this is to Every other poster that feels it necessary to reply to this or any of my posts just to tell me how stupid or bad my posts are. I apologize to you for wasting your time. Please and I mean this sincerely, please use the ignore button on me. You will no longer be bothered or waste your time reading anything that I post. I intend to do the same for you.

Again accept my apolgy and have a nice life. We never need correspond again.

Vince

maurile
04-01-2005, 08:56 PM
That was a very good post. Nicely done.

offTopic
04-01-2005, 09:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Good post. I miss the days of the Volkswagon van and the "According to Vince" forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't this the "According to Vince" forum?

Hold'me
04-01-2005, 09:38 PM
It was funny but you're still a loser in the game of life, Vince.

mts
04-01-2005, 09:49 PM
dont know you, never heard of you, (in reference to some replies), but i found this pretty funny. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

InfernoLL
04-01-2005, 11:10 PM
He likes to let other people point that out.

pokergripes
04-01-2005, 11:44 PM
Not bad /images/graemlins/smile.gif

You know Vince, if you always took the time to be this funny and self-deprecating, and didn't curse people out from time to time, everyone would be much more prepared to overlook the quality of your analysis...you could be like dennis miller in the booth for football broadcasts.

mosquito
04-02-2005, 01:55 AM
Clearly your best post to date. Concise, accurate,
and full of small insights.

Keep up the good work! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Howard Treesong
04-02-2005, 03:18 AM
That was amusing, Vince; in fact, it kinda got me laughing. For a while there, I didn't think you had a sense of humor, but I was obviously misinformed. I was hoping you'd take the pink bunny suggestion as a joke. Really.

Vince Lepore
04-02-2005, 03:27 AM
I'm glad you liked it. I hope HOWARD Lederer likes it to and and backs me as I ask. He and Paul would be smart to do so. don't you think?

Vince

JoeC
04-02-2005, 03:45 AM
Ehh... not a bad joke. I will say though, I don't understand other people ripping on Vince, I think in general he's a good poster.

wray
04-02-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm glad you liked it. I hope HOWARD Lederer likes it to and and backs me as I ask. He and Paul would be smart to do so. don't you think?

Vince

[/ QUOTE ]

The only thing you forgot was your PayPal addy so they can get the cash to you ASAP.

pokergripes
04-02-2005, 12:39 PM
He's definitely a net contributor to the forum...if not from incremental thinking on big bet poker, then clearly from an entertainment perspective!

Howard Treesong
04-02-2005, 03:27 PM
Take a look at the other current threads. Vince routinely overreaches on his facts, to his woe. He can and does add value, but too often sticks to his guns despite overwhelmingly contradictory facts.

pokergripes
04-02-2005, 05:29 PM
Yeah, as I think churchill once said, when the facts change, I change my mind...what do you do, sir? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Vince Lepore
04-02-2005, 06:24 PM
Howard are you really PP? I've been accused of being Smoothcall. i'm not but you seem to be a PP clown for sure. Why are you following me around and commenting on everything that comes up about me? What is your problem? Do you love me, hate me..what is it?

Vince

Howard Treesong
04-02-2005, 07:10 PM
Nope. PaulP is occasionally confused, or so I'm told, with Matthew McGonaghey; I, in contrast, am occasionally confused with the evil-yuppie incarnation of James Spader.

I don't know you well enough to have strong feelings about you either way. You clearly are interested in poker and offer views that you genuinely believe. That's a plus. On the minus side, you occasionally assert facts that just a little checking on your part would reveal to be false -- and stay with them too long. And you seem to be easily irritated, at least on these forums. Those are minuses. I certainly read your posts and will continue to do so. And I don't bear you any hostility, not at all.

Does that answer your question? Not quite, probably.

Vince Lepore
04-02-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
On the minus side, you occasionally assert facts that just a little checking on your part would reveal to be false

[/ QUOTE ]

If I have done this then you are right I am way out of line. I would never intentionally assert anything that I know is false or can be shown is false. Especially if the result has a negative result for the person reading or applying something I propose. I would appreciate it if you would point out some of these occaisional instances that you are referring to. I will review them for truth and retract and apologize for any and all things that I have said that are false.

Vince

Howard Treesong
04-02-2005, 08:39 PM
Mistakes happen, Vince. It's OK. But saying that you "most certainly" have bigger tournament wins than I do would be an example; my identity is public enough on RGP that five minutes' checking would have shown you that.

Vince Lepore
04-02-2005, 08:59 PM
I said that I had bigger tournament wins than Howard Treesong. It was the only name I had for you. I told the truth as far as I knew. I also exposed you for who your really are. That's pretty smart if you ask me. But I wilkl admit that I have not won as much as this libler fellow whoever he may be! Of course, you listed my only tournament placings as those posted on the Hendon Mobs web site. I was one hell of a lot more accurate about Howard Treesong than you were about me. And I've never asked for a retraction. BTW - I have the distinction of Finishing second to my Good Buddy The Current WSOP champion, Greg, Foaailman, Raymer in a NEPC Stud Tourmnment a couple of years ago. Paid over 20k.

Vince

Howard Treesong
04-03-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Of course, you listed my only tournament placings as those posted on the Hendon Mobs web site. I was one hell of a lot more accurate about Howard Treesong than you were about me. And I've never asked for a retraction. BTW - I have the distinction of Finishing second to my Good Buddy The Current WSOP champion, Greg, Foaailman, Raymer in a NEPC Stud Tourmnment a couple of years ago. Paid over 20k.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's why I inserted a big fat qualifier into my language when I described your tourney wins: "assuming the Hendon mob site is accurate." In contrast, you asserted that you "most certainly" had more tourney wins than I did.

Congrats, belatedly of course, on the stud win.

Vince Lepore
04-03-2005, 06:12 PM
Thanks Howard? So are you now prepared to put in a good word with the "REAL" howard concerning backing me given the qualifications that I listed here. Hey I wonder why Paul hasn't opened his mouth here. He was so quuick to do so no other things that I post. I guess he must feel - well---out Pauled.

vince

grandgnu
04-03-2005, 10:48 PM
Damn man, you beat Norm McDonald? THE Norm McDonald? If I could make any cash off my final table finishes at Foxwoods ($616 back in 2003 for 7th place out of 250 players in a $35 NL Hold 'Em with rebuy and add-on Tuesday night tourney and $208 for a 9th place finish about a month ago in a $60 NL Hold 'Em Thursday morning tourney out of 180+ players) I could have a shot at this.

I've only played five of the "weekly" tournies and placed in the money three of those times (twice at the final table)

In addition, just went down for the Poker Classic this past Monday and played the shoot-out event for $200+$40. You need to win your table to move on to Day 2. I snag an early chip lead and then I made a mistake that I knew was a mistake, but I still made it.

A player raised it up pre-flop and I had A/J. I called and the flop was rags with a Jack. He bet out 200, which I figured for weakness, I re-raised to 600 and he pushed all-in. Alarms were going off in my head, he's got Q/Q, he's got K/K, get the hell out. But stupidly I didn't listen to myself and I called, and he turned over the other two Jacks in his hand. I was drawing virtually dead, would need runner-runner Aces or diamonds to beat him. Caught one diamond, but not the other. Dropped back down to my original 1500 chips.

Then I found 9/9 when this new chip leader decided to steal. I was down to about 500-600 chips and called all-in and he turned over his J/5 suited steal attempt. I doubled through.

My next hand I find A/Q and raise the BB from 200 up to 600. Another short-stacked player to my left pushes all-in with his 6/6 and I already have half my stack invested and call. I didn't win or move on to Day 2. But if I had listened to myself and folded the A/J when I knew I was beat, I could've had a great shot at it.

So what I'm saying is: you can back me for just a few grand, mabye 2-3 grand? That should get me started on cash and smaller buy-in tournies to build my bankroll and pay you back. I promise to listen to myself next time too, so you really can't lose.

And I was a 7-card stud player first, and I enjoy Omaha hi/lo and 7-stud and stud hi/lo as well. Those are my primary cash games, I can't stand limit hold 'em. But NL tournies are fine. I view Hold 'Em as 7-card stud for dummies. 7-card stud and Omaha require so much more skill and calculating odds, remembering cards that have come up, etc.

Anyway, PM me for the paypal account, although I prefer you just mail me well-wrapped cash, that way I don't have to pay any fees. Thanks again!