PDA

View Full Version : 5 stud hilo declare - pot limit hand

10-20-2002, 07:20 PM
We played this at home the other day. I'm dealt (A)A !!!!

I limp for $10, called to button who raises $40 with (x)Q. I reraise pot. (x)7 calls. Button reraises pot. I reraise all in (I've put about $450 into pot, both players have me covered). Both call.

Question: Q obviously had a queen in the hole, and I obviously had an ace in the hole (I'd never go all in with just an Ace-Deuce). BTW, a pair of aces can be played as both the highest AND lowest pair. Wheel best low.

Did the player with the 7 up make a good play, knowing the hands he was facing? I'm sure he realized what our hole cards were, while all we knew was that his hole was between an Ace and an Eight, most likely.

10-20-2002, 07:53 PM
This is what I think: If he knew that the button couldn't lay down his (Q)Q, then yes. Otherwise no.

Phat Mack
10-21-2002, 12:49 PM
With a pair of A's being both highest and lowest pair, I'm not sure the 7 made a good play. It would depend on how the declaring was done, if it was simultaneous or in order. How did declaring work?

Also, were there any draws, twists or shucks? I've never played this game where you couldn't get an extra card some way. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

10-21-2002, 02:31 PM
Declare is simultaneous w/chips in hand (0 low,1 hi, 2 both).

Usually we play with a buy at the end, but this time we didn't: a first for us.

Tim

Phat Mack
10-21-2002, 05:56 PM
I just can't see 7 making a good play. He's laying 2:1, and as long as he doesn't pair an up card he gets half the pot. But if an up card pairs he's dead unless he's doing something exceptionally tricky with a pair of 7's. Under the rules you were using, if he made high (2 pair), you declared both ways with AA, and Q declared high with QQ, Would 2 pair take the whole pot?

10-21-2002, 06:44 PM
Yes, an ace can be high or low. And a pair of aces as well.

At the time, I thought that the 7 made an awful call. But in retrospect, I think maybe it was the right call.

Still not sure.

Tim

Phat Mack
10-22-2002, 05:24 PM
I'm still not convinced that 7 mad a sane play...