PDA

View Full Version : Hair Poll

FeliciaLee
04-01-2005, 05:47 PM
So, I'm sitting here wondering what I should do with my hair. I know that only the OOT will be brutally honest with me, lol.

It's going to fall out, of that I'm sure. With some people, chemo doesn't effect the hair, but with me, I'm sure it will, because once I had a major surgery and was told up to 50% of my hair could fall out. It did. So I don't expect I'm going to be one of those lucky few percentage of people who don't lose their hair.

Anyway, right now my hair is about one inch and looks like my avatar. Mostly brown with some platinum highlights in order to both hide and blend in with the overwhelming gray that is starting to take over, lol.

Here are the choices that I have:

jakethebake
04-01-2005, 05:51 PM
I always kinda thought bald chicks were hot, which is weird because I don't like all the other stuff that a lot of purposely bald chicks usually have (tattoos, piercings, etc.). Just shave it. Oh, and congrats on coming to the right place for advice on this. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Boris
04-01-2005, 05:51 PM
shave it all off and then get a tattoo of a fish tank scene on your head.

FeliciaLee
04-01-2005, 05:52 PM
Weird, it cut off some of my choices! It looked fine in preview! Dangit!

The first poll had choices about color, as well as cut. Grrr!

beerbandit
04-01-2005, 05:55 PM
links dont seem to be working in question 2

[ QUOTE ]
platinum highlights

[/ QUOTE ]

interesting, do not think ive seen this before ---- looks good in the avatar

get well soon

Talk2BigSteve
I say shave it all off, you are going thru a rough time and you will be empowered by standing up and showing the world that you are a fighter and a winner and you are not going to hide, or be ashamed!

Girl Power!!!

Big Steve /images/graemlins/cool.gif

jakethebake
Even if you keep it short, when it starts falling out, it's gonna be all splotchy. Just shave it. And my sincerest wishes on a speedy recovery.

astroglide
i think your hair looks awesome as it is in the avatar, shorter would be fine too. bald seems like it could work with your personality, so i really don't think you can lose in this area. i'd probably go bald if i were you, and even keep it short once the storm has passed. best of luck with your road to recovery, i hope it's as easy on you as it can be.

FeliciaLee
04-01-2005, 05:59 PM
I've obviously never done a poll before, although I've been on 2+2 for a long while.

I'll just let it go, though, and maybe do another one later on, after surgery, when I see how I feel (but before chemo starts).

I love the candid responses! Most of the choices in the first part of the poll were about color & cut.

Sorry that I botched it up so bad, but it looked fine in the preview, grrr!

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jack of Arcades
04-01-2005, 06:01 PM
Well, on certain chicks, this would include Felicia. It all depends on facial structure and stuff. Bald would be great.

Duke
04-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Is this the worst April Fool's day joke ever, or serious?

~D

FeliciaLee
04-01-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]

~D

[/ QUOTE ]
I wish!

You obviously don't read the NVG forum often, huh? Look for the FYI post, and if you are still in doubt, look at the date.

It would be my sincerest wish that having cancer was a sick joke!

Duke
04-01-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

~D

[/ QUOTE ]
I wish!

You obviously don't read the NVG forum often, huh? Look for the FYI post, and if you are still in doubt, look at the date.

It would be my sincerest wish that having cancer was a sick joke!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, I only read in here these days.

I've lost a lot of people to cancer. I wish you the best of luck. With any luck you'll be the female Lance Armstrong of the poker world. I do believe that's the first time that sentence has ever been uttered.

BTW - I vote for bald. That way you'll be a disconcerting presence at the poker tables.

~D

FeliciaLee
04-01-2005, 06:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
With any luck you'll be the female Lance Armstrong of the poker world. I do believe that's the first time that sentence has ever been uttered.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks! I have a very sick sense of humor. Even during the best of times, I think my sense of humor could be called warped. During bad times, it becomes almost disgusting.

For instance, take a look at this: http://www.billrini.com/archives/2005/03/play_poker_like_1.html

Yeah, I should have been a guy. I was tricked by God at birth! So the doctor says I should probably have all of my female parts removed after I'm all done with cancer treatment, because I'm such a high risk and it's better to be safe. Hmmm, once I have no boobs and no reproductive system, I guess I'll get my wish, after all, and see if I really would have made a good man!

A friend of mine sent me one of those yellow, Lance Armstong bands. I've been telling people who ask about it that I have testicular cancer. You should see the priceless expression on their faces.

Once I have the double mastectomy and lose my hair, I think the joke will be even more sick and twisted. Too bad I have such a high pitched voice, or some people might believe me!

Another of my friends posted a pic of a tee-shirt with only one boob. She called it: "Felicia has one to spare!"

Stuff like that cracks me up. Nothing is crossing the line, really, with me. The more sick the sense of humor, the more I get off on it. So feel free to rip on me.

thatpfunk
04-01-2005, 06:47 PM
I vote for shaved bald.

I think the act of doing it should feel empowering and everytime you look in the mirror you can kinda have the "[censored] you cancer, I'm one step ahead of the game" attitude.

Your confidence will definetly get you through this.

Jack of Arcades
04-01-2005, 07:04 PM
Besides, it'd be really hot.

GrekeHaus
04-01-2005, 07:15 PM
I can't believe there's no option for a green/purple marble mohawk. That would be sweet.

sublime
04-01-2005, 07:27 PM
i dont have an opnion on your hair, but i wish you the absolute best on your daily battle /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

TimM
04-01-2005, 07:36 PM
A friend of mine used to shave her head every once in a while. I liked it better short but not buzzed, but it didn't look bad on her that way either (O.K. so I am biased).

Once we stoped at a donut shop on the way to work, and a 3 year old boy says to his mother "Mommy why is that boy wearing a dress?" The mother was so embarrased but my friend got a kick out of it. Apparently the mother had just got done explaining why the boy had to get his hair cut short and his sister did not.

If it does start to get splotchy you'll probably have to shave it off anyway. I'm sure you can pull it off, no need for wigs. Good luck with the treatments and I wish you a quick and permanent recovery.

DBowling
04-01-2005, 11:27 PM
i think it looks good with platinum, but the pic is awfully small. so maybe it doesnt look great. and maybe it wouldnt look so good if it were too much thinner.

i say shave it or put a wig on, whatever's most convenient for you

fnord_too
04-01-2005, 11:50 PM
I'd suggest cutting it very short, like 1/4 inch. When my wife went through chemo, she resisted cutting her hair for a long time and it was really getting awful. When she finally got it cut really short she was amazed at how much better it looked. (Oddly, it's a lot harder to tell that really short hair is patchy).

Also, she bought a wig. She wore it a fair amount, but she complained about it a fair amount, too. (Apparently they are not the most comfortable things to wear).

Bubu
04-02-2005, 03:00 AM
I think you could shave it off. It would look good. You seem to have a strong personality so it would look even better.

Get better soon !

nothumb
04-02-2005, 03:22 AM
Felicia....

Look, if or when your hair starts falling out, you can shave it off then. Until then, I say do whatever wild thing you want, that you haven't done, just to try it. Then if you hate it.... boom, same solution. It's all coming off anyway.

I basically took the same solution with my hair, only because I will be getting the male pattern brand of baldness. Strangely liberating. At this point I just try to keep it short, no nonsense.

Sorry, I can't see the pictures, I can't comment on specifics. I say do something adventurous, then shave it whenever it starts getting troublesome.

Best wishes,

NT

FeliciaLee
04-02-2005, 09:07 PM
Well, Glenn cut it off to 1/2 inch on top, blended to 3/8 and 1/4 on the sides and back.

I kept it dark, screw the gray, but I did set out some of my Manic Panic from the old days (90's), in those crazy, extreme colors. Just in case I decide I'm too young for this look and need to break out.

No pic, but it's the same length as this one taken three years ago when I was healthy.

http://www.frontiernet.net/~bagsmode/felJDJune01.jpg

Thanks for all of the suggestions and well wishes. As the chemo date gets closer, I'll probably just shave it totally bald.

www.felicialee.net (http://www.felicialee.net)

CCass
04-02-2005, 11:59 PM
Felicia,

Regardless of what you do with your hair, you are going to be fine. Your sense of humor will do wonders for your recovery. Anytime you need a good laugh, OOT will be here for you.

Phat Mack
04-03-2005, 12:42 AM
I think you have the bone structure to wear your hair any way you want. I'd be looking at ease of care. If you shave it, you may have to re-shave it every day or two. If you leave it 1/4 to 1/2 inch, you'll have more leeway. I'd leave some up there, then go shopping for babushkas, tooks, or those knit caps the home boys wear. If you go with the knit cap, be sure to practice saying "Yo, Dog!" in front of the mirror.

Thanks for your post. Now, when my wife asks me what I'm doing, I can say "providing fashion and styling tips." Let us know what you decide and we'll work on shoes and accessories.

JMO,

Fashion Consultant Mack

Kurn, son of Mogh
04-03-2005, 10:28 AM
Bald is beautiful. Well, at least it'll look better on you than on me. /images/graemlins/wink.gif