PDA

View Full Version : Late tourney mid pair - What's my line?

Double Eagle
04-01-2005, 04:08 PM
Last night's Party 20NL, we are in the money with about 45 or so left. I have 90k, average is about 40k (guessing I'm around 10th or so), blinds at 4k/8k. Table has been pretty tight, I have been doing a fair amount of successfull stealing but the hands I have shown have been monsters. On this hand I open up for 22k from MP with 7h7d. All fold to the button who has about the same amount and flat calls, Blinds fold.

Flop comes Ts9c3h

No particular read on the button here, he seemed tightish like the rest of the table. There is 52k in the pot, what's my play?

hfrog355
04-01-2005, 04:28 PM
I think you have to make a bet of reasonable size here, simply because you showed so much strenght pre-flop. You should still display the same strength now. It is not entirely likely that he has a 10 and I really don't think he calls a substantial bet with a 9. I'd put him on high cards or a small pair.

What did you do with the hand?

schwza
04-01-2005, 04:46 PM
you have 58k, and there's 52k in the middle. i'd lead out for 22k and say that's the last money going in. if villain is bold enough to keep playing with a hand like AQ, good for him, he wins the pot.

Algasm
04-01-2005, 05:47 PM
So you wade through 1900 people and now you are faced with a really tough decision. I'd probably bet 1/2 the pot and hope he folds. How comfortable did you feel that you could steal your way back up to 90k if you just checked it down or check folded? Tough situation, but I'd bet.

SossMan
04-01-2005, 06:23 PM
I would push, but aparently, I'm a lag.

I can see check folding, too. I can't imagine any other line being good.

Double Eagle
04-01-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aparently????? That's the funniest thing I've read in quite a while....

BTW, isn't C/R All-In a valid option? We certainly don't figure to get called by worse hand on an Open Push, and 88 is the only better hand that may fold. At least a C/R gives us a way we get the bluff money to even out the times we get called with two outs.

SossMan
04-01-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Aparently????? That's the funniest thing I've read in quite a while....

BTW, isn't C/R All-In a valid option? We certainly don't figure to get called by worse hand on an Open Push, and 88 is the only better hand that may fold. At least a C/R gives us a way we get the bluff money to even out the times we get called with two outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think that you have fold equity there. even if he only bets half the pot, and you checkraise for the rest, he would be getting 5+:1 on his call. I can't see a tight player making that play with overcards (betting/folding). I actually am leaning towards check/folding and if he checks behind, then betting out on the turn if it's a small card and checking again (with the intention of folding for a .5*pot bet or better) if it's a big card.

I'm not that thrilled about getting cute on this flop. Make a real bet or just give up on it.

PukaPlaya
04-01-2005, 07:45 PM
I either bet half the pot or check/raise - all in. Since he did just flat call I am assuming he is either trying to trap on a safe flop for him or is speculating with overs or a small pair to medium as well. Did you have any read on him at all other than he is probably tight?
Previous hands showndown or flashed?

Given that it could be a trap and he is probably a tight player, betting half the pot seems like the safest move as it still leaves you with a decent stack if re-raised. Phew. Long sentence.

Double Eagle
04-01-2005, 09:13 PM
Like SossMan I thought my only real options were all in or check and see. It felt weak at the time, but this was really a tough situation - there is no way I can call a raise here and it would suck to have sunk half my chips into the pot only to have to give it up if he were to come over the top.

So in the end I did what any weak-tightie would do and checked. He bet 35k, I briefly reconsidered but did end up folding. Meh.

SossMan
04-01-2005, 10:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Like SossMan I thought my only real options were all in or check and see. It felt weak at the time, but this was really a tough situation - there is no way I can call a raise here and it would suck to have sunk half my chips into the pot only to have to give it up if he were to come over the top.

So in the end I did what any weak-tightie would do and checked. He bet 35k, I briefly reconsidered but did end up folding. Meh.

[/ QUOTE ]

could have been worse. the fact that there was no flush draw out and he would likely fold QJ preflop makes this laydown a little easier to stomach..he likely had a decent hand...

or maybe he had 66 and assumed you had AK..tough to know for sure, but sometimes weak tight is okay.

JohnG
04-02-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Last night's Party 20NL, we are in the money with about 45 or so left. I have 90k, average is about 40k (guessing I'm around 10th or so), blinds at 4k/8k. Table has been pretty tight, I have been doing a fair amount of successfull stealing but the hands I have shown have been monsters. On this hand I open up for 22k from MP with 7h7d. All fold to the button who has about the same amount and flat calls, Blinds fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it normal for him to flat call for such a large amount of his stack? If it isn't, I highly suspect a trap given your description of the dynamics.