PDA

View Full Version : can someone tell me about this 5/10 rule thing

Tim H
04-01-2005, 02:44 PM
saw it on that beginners thread

jhall23
04-01-2005, 02:55 PM
It's from Reuben and Ciaffone's "Pot Limit & No Limit Poker". Basically Ciaffone says that when contemplating calling a raise with suited connectors and pocket pairs IN POSITION you should automatically call if the raise is <= 5 % of the smallest of your stacks and fold if it is > 10 %. In between you have a choice to make.

Also note that by IN POSITION he is referring both to relative position to the raiser and absolute position.

swolfe
04-01-2005, 02:57 PM
the position part is especially important for the suited connectors who often want to raise the flop to get free cards. it's not as critical for small/mid pocket pairs that are being played strictly for set value.

in fact, i sometimes prefer being OOP with a set because then i can lead into the PF raiser who will often raise his AA/KK/etc. following that up with a check-raise on the turn is a great way to extract value with sets OOP.

Tim H
04-01-2005, 02:57 PM
ah ... thanks

jhall23
04-01-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the position part is especially important for the suited connectors who often want to raise the flop to get free cards. it's not as critical for small/mid pocket pairs that are being played strictly for set value.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, as I think Ciaffone says, you only need the position on one street for Pairs, but it will be important to have position on all streets for the SC's.

etgryphon
04-01-2005, 03:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

in fact, i sometimes prefer being OOP with a set because then i can lead into the PF raiser who will often raise his AA/KK/etc. following that up with a check-raise on the turn is a great way to extract value with sets OOP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice points...

-Gryph