PDA

View Full Version : Small unsuited broadways preflop - some questions

Isura
04-01-2005, 01:56 PM
Looking over some HH's from my last 8k hands or so, I've noticed that I might be limping too much with these hands.
Questions:
All these hands are in MP2+, typical 33/5 loose-passive game.

1) KJo with 1 limper
2) KJo in MP-LP with 2-3 limpers - I limp, is a raise standard?
3) QJo with 1 limper
4) KTo with 1 limper
5) KTo with 2-3 limpers
6) QTo with 1 limper - I fold, should I raise. limping seems yucky here.
7) QTo with 2-3 limpers

I think I'm limping a little too much. I usually fold if the early players are tight, and limp if they are loose (in most of these situations). Is raising for value more appropriate against loose players?
I find myself in constant tough spots postflop when I flop weak top pair or second pair. Generally do you guys like to raise more and take control of the hand? Thanks.

Firefly
04-01-2005, 02:02 PM
1) I'd raise
2) I limp too
3) It's probally close..I'd probally limp 75% and raise 25% here
4)Raise
5)Limp or fold. Probally limp 75% fold 25% for me
6) meh..i dunno either
7) limp for me.

jrz1972
04-01-2005, 02:12 PM
I fold all of these in MP regardless of limpers.

In LP I limp with limpers, open-raise otherwise.

tiltaholic
04-01-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Generally do you guys like to raise more and take control of the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]

generally i like to fold more, unless i have a specific reason/thought process for plaing these hands, then yes, in a general sense, i am raising more.

such as: the blind are tight. the limper(s) are weak. the limper(s) are bad. i can buy the button.

also, there is a big difference imo between MP2 and CO or button...so i will answer from the point of view of MP2 against typical opponents and nobody of note behind me yet to act.

1) KJo with 1 limper

i'd raise.

i'd limp

3) QJo with 1 limper

fold

4) KTo with 1 limper

fold

5) KTo with 2-3 limpers

fold

fold

7) QTo with 2-3 limpers

fold.

I can't explain why i feel so nice about KJo and not so nice about QJo. I'm averse to QJo I guess. (a marginal, marginal, hand...it is said)

now, from button:

1) KJo with 1 limper

old me, limp. new me raise.

i think raise is better, but i dunno.

3) QJo with 1 limper

old me, fold. new me, raise.

4) KTo with 1 limper

old me, fold. new me, undecided - but leaning towards raise.(raising loses it's appeal since i already have the button, but i'd much rather play this hand HU than 4 way)

5) KTo with 2-3 limpers

limp or fold i can't decide. leaning towards fold, but i think i can pull off a limp here.

raise. want to get this suckah HU.

7) QTo with 2-3 limpers

limp, and feeling uncomfortable about it.

BriPlay
04-01-2005, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the post..i'll take a shot at this..I think that with a lot of these hands with 1 limper its raise or fold. since you feel its a leak and presumably your getting caught in front of callers (who later raise ..ie turn) i'd try folding them for a while and see how it goes.....raising in some cases will mix up your play and often get you the button..someone might even think your loose..which can be nice...
to be honest i dont get too hung up on the preflop decision with these types of hands..but pay a LOT of attention to post flop play (ie dont spend a lot on a QT with T42 rainbow and 3 callers)
If im going to limp with any of these i prefer to limp with QJ or JT..for the st8 draw possibilities.

thanks again for the post..i found it useful to think about this.

Brian

Isura
04-01-2005, 09:31 PM
I agree that postflop is more important. However, with these hands, your preflop play has a large effect on how your opponents play the rest of the hand . I'm working on playing these only if the players who limped are really loose . In this case, I think the best strategy is to raise, give up if you miss, but punish the loose-passive who will call down with bottom pair consistently. I'll let you know how the strategy is doing in 20k hands or so.

btspider
04-02-2005, 12:49 AM
if i'm in MP3

1) KJo with 1 limper
raise

tend to raise 2. fold after 3 (i may limp in CO/Button).

3) QJo with 1 limper
raise (if loose limper and i selected tight left side)

4) KTo with 1 limper

5) KTo with 2-3 limpers
limp

7) QTo with 2-3 limpers
fold unless on the button (or CO and tight or non-aggro button or something like that, then limp)

BriPlay
04-02-2005, 11:53 AM
i like the idea of being aggressive if you play these..but raising QTo vs 2 limpers from middle position? you're a better man than me if you can make that one pay.
Brian

Isura
04-02-2005, 02:57 PM
QTo with 2 limpers I'm not sure between calling and folding. Raising I would only save if both limpers were like VP 60+ and they both call down passively with junk postflop, and the blinds are pretty tight.
My default play should probably be folding unless on button, then call. It's very read and situation dependent though.

JoeyMagsXXX
04-02-2005, 03:31 PM
I started dunnping a lot of these hands in MP when I found through my PT stats I was losing in that psoition a lot. Maybe they need to be played more agressively to win.

1) Limp
2) Limp (a raise is interesting though)
3) Fold
4) Limp, need a read on other limper though
5) Fold
6) Fold
7) Fold

JC_Saves
04-16-2005, 12:46 PM
(blind response)

I would generally limp/fold in all of these situations. The deciding factor would be what type of players are the limpers. If they are all loose players, I would tend to limp if there were only 1 limper. If there were more than one limper I would fold these.

If there were any tight players that had limped ahead of me, I would probably fold, because these hads are not great in my book.

2,5,7: If there were a lot of limpers than I might limp along with all of these hands to see the flop and hope for something great.

For the most part I do not like these unsuited hands. Now if they were suited I would tend to throw in a raise against loose players and limp with tight players the later position the better.