PDA

View Full Version : hrmm... is this a horrible push?

syphlix
04-01-2005, 01:38 PM
party 10+1 First hand blinds at 10/15

Hero dealt J /images/graemlins/diamond.gifJ /images/graemlins/heart.gif in MP2

2 limpers, hero limps, CO limps, button limps, SB limps, BB raises to 91, 2 folds

Hero raises to 300, all fold, BB calls

flop comes T /images/graemlins/spade.gif3 /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

BB bets 15, Hero raises all in

is it proper to push here?

Rolen
04-01-2005, 01:43 PM
If he's got a hand better than JJ, yes.

If not, no.

Meh, it's fine. Not sure you want to put half your chips in pre-flop with a good-not-great hand in the first level though.

syphlix
04-01-2005, 01:47 PM
hrmm... what should i do after the first PF raise?... is it better to just call?... or should i just release it since the blinds are so small anyways?

Rolen
04-01-2005, 01:57 PM
To be honest, i'm really not sure. I couldn't fold jacks but I wouldn't be confident about my hand..He's raised 90 into a pot with a load of callers and unless he's an idiot he would need some sort of strength to do that.

I would probably call and hope to hit a set. If I ended up with an overpair i'd play it pretty strongly (and probably bust out if he ended up having set/better overpair) but if overcards came i'd slow right down.

Bloody jacks...

Voltron87
04-01-2005, 02:04 PM
At the 11s, it's a good push.

syphlix
04-01-2005, 02:11 PM
i was basically planning the following...

rasing him large so if he had some crap like AT AJ or something mite fold,

then if he called... and flop was "safe"... i would just push...

is that about the right line i should be thinking of taking?

TheUsher
04-01-2005, 02:16 PM
Since this is a 10 I really can't give you the proper advice, but if this were a 50, I would never re-raise then push on the flop. Let me give you an example why... the pf raise is 6xBB by villain which usually means *monster* from most of the people that bet that big(or higher) in Level 1. Obviously you'd need to see if your opponent is raising every other pot or if they're a plain idiot, but this is usually the case when I play. Here's a good example of this and why you should pay attention to player tendencies when you play:

(10th hand of tourney with tight ass villain who's played no hands yet)

***** Hand History for Game xxxxxx *****
NL Hold'em $50 Buy-in + $5 Entry Fee Trny:xxxxxx Level:1 Blinds(10/15) - Friday, April 01, 02:09:01 EDT 2005
Table Table xxxxxx (Real Money)
Seat 9 is the button
Total number of players : 8
Seat 9: Hero ( $975 )
Seat 10: xxxxxx ( $1180 )
Seat 2: xxxxxx ( $1395 )
Seat 7: Villain ( $975 )
Seat 1: xxxxxx ( $970 )
Seat 5: xxxxxx ( $440 )
Seat 4: xxxxxx ( $3385 )
Seat 3: xxxxxx ( $680 )
Trny:xxxxxx Level:1
Blinds(10/15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Qs Qh ]
xxxxxx calls [15].
xxxxxx folds.
xxxxxx folds.
xxxxxx folds.
Villain raises [300].
Hero (takes 15 seconds then) folds.
xxxxxx folds.
xxxxxx folds.
xxxxxx folds.
Villain shows [ Ad, Ah ] a pair of aces.
Villain wins 340 chips from the main pot with a pair of aces.

So Rolen if you don't ever want to get rid of JJ before the flop then you're going to get screwed lots of times. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

P.S. For anyone who calls me weak/tight here, bah, that's fine with me. I think I could afford to write this off even if I were ahead here and play the rest of the tourney fine. If I made this call I'm either way ahead or way behind as I don't even think they'd raise AK like this.

Scuba Chuck
04-01-2005, 02:25 PM
In general, at these lower levels, I think your play is fine.

Just as a side note. I played a set (4) of $22s last night as a warmup. I'm noticing either the fish don't know how to play hands like QQ+, or they are thinking they're tricky by slow playing them. You might run into this infrequently, but I think your pedal to the medal play here is fine.

Cleveland Guy
04-01-2005, 02:30 PM
The push on the flop was fine - the raise pre-flop was bad.

If he comes over the top are you folding pre-flop?

You are basically saying that you are going to play hard on this hand - best to just move all in if that's the case.

I think calling is better, and looking for a set/undercards.

syphlix
04-01-2005, 03:17 PM
hrmm... ok...

next time i'll either call or fold...

villain had A /images/graemlins/spade.gifQ /images/graemlins/spade.gif got A on turn

thanks for the advice guys