PDA

View Full Version : Middle Pair Opening PF EP or MP, Final Table, Moderate Blinds

Rednax
04-01-2005, 11:19 AM
This is more (in my mind) a general concept question than a specific situation question but I'll try to set a somewhat specific example. I'm not taking into account the exact position of the short stack or big stacks or looser prefloppers (although obviously in real-time that's necessary); I'm just trying to get a general feel for playing 77 and 88 and 99.

Final table, two stacks about 20xBB, one short stack 5x, the rest 8-15 and I'm in the middle with 10x. Couple are a little aggro pf but everybody can play ('cept maybe me). Occasionally there will be a limp or two, but generally someone will be raisng 2.5 - 4x pf, and even more occasionally someone will play back with a big reraise or allin, generally resulting in a laydown. Everybody's in the money, but everyone wants to move up. Lots of respect and showdowns for the past 30 minutes feature pairs against pairs, or pairs against overcards and it's usually only the larger of the stacks that's willing to play the overcards.

First to act from early or middle position with a medium pair 77 or 88 or 99 I just wanna push preflop. True, a standard raise lets me lay down to a reraise, but how many times is there going to be a higher pair out there? Whereas that 3x raise might get called by some overcards like KQs or even ATs (at this particular table, anyway, and wouldn't that be possible at most tables in this situation?) leaving me with a tough spot to play if any overcards hit. Yeah, I could push at that point, check and raise, check and fold, but I don't like any of those because of lack of info.

Small pair I definitely try to steal and muck pf if raised and muck post flop if called unless it's rags or otherwise good for me. But that middle pair seems too good for that treatment (but maybe it's not). The advantages of all-in pf are that I might get called by a lesser pair and that only premium overcards would call. And nobody can play back at me cheaply. Or is this just my fear talking?

bmxreed36
04-01-2005, 12:19 PM
This is my opinion and I may not be right about it, but I think these hands are very position dependant. If it was folded to you in middle or late position, a push would have a much better chance of working. First, because there are fewer hands behind you so less chance of a big hand, and secondly, I think that when someone goes all in from the CO or button, they are more likely to get called by a less than premium hand since it looks more like a steal.

In middle position, I may make the normal raise and play it from there. But in early position, it is too hard for me to put much into the middle with one of these hands, knowing that there are 9 people to act behind me (assuming a full table). If I raised and get called, it's a tough spot to be in after the flop. This is where I might try a limp and see what happens behind. Just my thoughts, I'd like to hear others also.

PokerNeal
04-01-2005, 01:10 PM
This is EXACTLY the problem I have been having with my play of late.

I make it with an above-average stack to the money and then piss it all away before making the final table. And 90% of the bleeding here happens because of how I play low to middle pairs in late stages.

From an early or mid position if I limp in it seems the pot will end up with 3-4 players in it and one of them makes a better connection with the flop and lands a higher pair. If I raise and then get reraised I have to lay it down and with the stakes being so high I just lost 10-15% of my stack on this play!

Here is where my current thinking on the issue. Lay down a low to middle pair from early and mid positions. Don't even play them. Go in with a raise if dealt one in late position. About 70% of the time you get to win the pot right there and 30% of the time if someone plays back you can easily lay your hand down.

Greatly appreciate comments....