PDA

View Full Version : Ever replace a laptop LCD?

willie
04-01-2005, 10:03 AM
yeah so apparently my textbook fell off my sleeping ass body down 1 foot corner first into my prone laptop screen last night.

it is 1/3rd viewable right now, and i can clearly tell where the corner of the book just bludgeoned the screen...

anyone ever have to replace a laptop screen before? did you use a service from the web or just send it to the manufacturer for repair? Thanks for any help that can be given.

JoshuaD
04-01-2005, 10:04 AM
Get it done by the manufacturer. It's not an easy thing to do.

willie
04-01-2005, 10:10 AM
any idea of a ballpark figure?

JoshuaD
04-01-2005, 10:12 AM
I imagine over 300$, but that's a really rough guess. Just call up whoever made it and ask.

mmbt0ne
04-01-2005, 10:13 AM
You just got April Foolsed by your textbook.

daryn
04-01-2005, 10:14 AM
i would guess as much as $900

willie
04-01-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You just got April Foolsed by your textbook.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'm not sure if it april foolsed me

but it definitely pwned my lcd.

willie
04-01-2005, 10:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i would guess as much as $900

[/ QUOTE ]

dear christ....

daryn
04-01-2005, 10:20 AM
yeah.. i think it's one of those things that is so expensive, it's not worth fixing.

Sporky
04-01-2005, 10:23 AM
it really depends on the screen. nicer screens will cost a lot more to replace, of course. it will cost a ton though, regardless. you can look around on the web and find out what manufacturer/model no. your lcd is and see if you can snag one off of ebay. there are people who sell new LCDs on there. you might also be able to find a guide for your laptop on replacing the LCD. i know that i used to frequent a sony vaio forum years ago when i repaired some laptops. it was pretty easy to get a technical manual through the people on the boards. do some searching and call the manufacturer. it isn't impossible to do it yourself if you need to, but it can be tricky depending on what laptop you have. i've only fooled with the vaios myself and they are pretty easy to pull apart.

Jman28
04-01-2005, 10:36 AM
I broke my laptop LCD about 6 months ago by stepping on it when I got out of bed. It was under dirty clothes so I didn't see it.

Anyways, I bought a desktop. It was almost time anyway.

I think it's not worth it to fix it. If it helps you at all, my screen has gotten better on it's own. Went from about 60% viewable to about 80%.

You could also just buy a monitor and make it a desktop.

-Jman28

willie
04-01-2005, 10:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I think it's not worth it to fix it.

-Jman28

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/frown.gif /images/graemlins/mad.gif /images/graemlins/frown.gif *sob*

Sporky
04-01-2005, 10:51 AM
what make/model laptop is it?

Russ McGinley
04-01-2005, 10:55 AM
You might be F'ed in the A. Take it to CompUSA and get them to tell you how much a replacement screen costs. If you are lucky, it'll only be about $300 as was quoted earlier. If you are unlucky, you will be chucking your laptop in the near future.

willie
04-01-2005, 10:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
what make/model laptop is it?

[/ QUOTE ]

dell inspiron 5160

i found a couple of lcds on ebay for it, not to pricey and replacement seems RELATIVELY uncomplicated, so i think the local computer shop could do it for not too much....

righ now it's lookin like a couple of hundred dollar replacement...

peachy
04-01-2005, 11:22 AM
When this happened to mine...the manufacture told me it would be cheaper just to get a NEW laptop b/c the screen would be expensive, around 1k. But this was 4/5 years ago, so things might have changed, plus I am kind of interested as to what u find b/c now my 3rd laptop's screen has broken also, but not by me! So i wanted to replace it but wasnt too concerned b/c i had a desktop...o well...let me know and good luck!

Sporky
04-01-2005, 11:35 AM
yeah dude, especially if you end up with something like this. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42187&item=6755352 614&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)
it would be pretty easy to replace the screen with that piece. you wouldn't have to fool with opening up the cover or anything. i think ebay is your best bet, and you could probably get some detailed instructions from the seller on how to replace the piece. good luck.

willie
04-01-2005, 11:37 AM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah dude, especially if you end up with something like this. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42187&item=6755352 614&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW)
it would be pretty easy to replace the screen with that piece. you wouldn't have to fool with opening up the cover or anything. i think ebay is your best bet, and you could probably get some detailed instructions from the seller on how to replace the piece. good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

dats da one i was eyeing.

this definitely ruined my f'n day though.....i'm on a horrible poker run and now top it off with a bunch of cash i have to dump into my laptop, EXCELLENT.

Lumpy
04-01-2005, 02:28 PM
Expect the cost to be > 50% of the original cost of the laptop. I have replaced many of them, they are not simple to do. If you can get your hands on a service manual the process is usally very well documented.