PDA

View Full Version : N00b <---

Blackwolf
04-01-2005, 07:39 AM
Hi everyone.... first time I write and its kinda embarissing.... I have been trying to learn how to calculate the way u guys do by comparing your maths and trying to copy it with another difficulty, but I havent got that very far cause one thing that keeps bugging me but that will make u laugh, again I am such a n00b...
When u explain mathematical problems/solusitions u use the term like 50c2, or choose... What is that? is it like from 50 cards I want 2 of em or is it just a mathematical term in that case how does it work? /images/graemlins/crazy.gif Again I am sorry for this stupid question I just wanna know so I can follow the posts more accurately. Maybe someone know a post/page that posts these kind of n00bie questions? Much apprechiated guys and u are all doing a great job helping fishes like me climbing higher /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Saggitarius
04-01-2005, 07:49 AM
nCk (or 50c2 in your case) is binomial coefficient which is widely used in combinatorics. You can read about it her: http://mathworld.wolfram.com/BinomialCoefficient.html

BrassGuru
04-01-2005, 02:02 PM
Blackwoof,

If you want a nice introductory book into probability, try "The Probability Tutoring Book" by Carol Ash. It gives some nice examples, many of which are card-related. I'm sure there are other books out there that are more geared toward poker, but I find this book to be a nice easy read.

To answer one of your questions, 52C2 {or 52 Choose 2} represents the distinct number of ways that you can choose 2 things out of a population of 52 things. If you have a scientific calculator, you can actually enter 52 C 2 and it will give you the answer. The mathematics behind it are not difficult, provided you are willing to spend a little time mastering it.

John