PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing here??

Alexthegreat
04-01-2005, 07:13 AM
I'm fairly new to NL...So don't spare me any harsh words...

UTG is reasonable...

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.25 BB (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG ($31.35)
MP ($5.5)
Hero ($23.7)
SB ($114.68)
BB ($5.3)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $2</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls $2, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>.

Flop: ($4.35) K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>,

xorbie
04-01-2005, 07:18 AM
You are spewing chips, unless you have a read that he is more likely to have AQ, AJ or something else that missed the flop or can be moved off his hand.

MarkL444
04-01-2005, 07:19 AM
i think you need to reraise preflop. i really dont know though. more importantly, that is one ugly flop. save these kinda raises for time when the guy bets 2 bucks into that pot. coldcalling a raise with 99 will put you in this situation a lot. i think you should be reraising pf though (esp w/ pos).

jtr
04-01-2005, 09:26 AM
There would be no shame in folding this preflop. That's a big (8 x big blind) raise, and you're not deep-stacked, so the set value is not quite there. Also note that no-one else has come along for the ride to sweeten your pot odds.

If the guy is loose-aggro and you actually think you have a hand that dominates his, then you could consider a reraise preflop. But personally, absent of any special read on the UTG raiser, I'd just lay this down. EDIT: just re-reading and I noticed you specifically said UTG was reasonable. That settles it -- fold preflop.

Having got to that flop, I admire your courage but I don't think the $10 raise is a smart move in the long run. Basically we put the bad guy on something-with-an-ace-or-king, or a pair bigger than 9. Lots of those hands are now looking good. I would not be optimistic about taking it down by making the villain pay $6 more here. (And nor do I want to raise to even higher than $10.)