PDA

View Full Version : Should I have check-raised the flop?

doubleplus
04-01-2005, 03:58 AM
I hope this hand history thing works... this is my first time posting a hand:

PokerStars 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, Button calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (10.40 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, CO folds, Button calls, BB calls.

Turn: (7.20 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls, Button calls, BB folds.

River: (10.20 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Final Pot: 10.20 BB

Russ McGinley
04-01-2005, 04:01 AM
No. What guarantees do you have that someone will bet? Zero. The board is somewhat coordinated, checking here is awful.

Elbie
04-01-2005, 04:39 AM
Quote: No. What guarantees do you have that someone will
bet? Zero. The board is somewhat coordinated,
checking here is awful.

doubleplus
04-01-2005, 04:45 AM
Thank you. It didn't get through to me the first time.

NAU_Player
04-01-2005, 04:55 AM
Checkraising is best suited for 2 things:
1.information
2.to get opponents to fold

Given the fact that all of your opponents coldcalled preflop, it's pretty safe to assume you are ahead - no need for info
Given that you can reasonably assume your hand is good, why do you want your opponents to fold?

Leading every street is the best line here, because you want people calling behind you and donating to your pot. If one of them sucks out a 2 outer on the river, it sucks. There isnt anything you can do about it except take extra satisfaction from that next hand you beat them out of.

-Tim

doubleplus
04-01-2005, 05:03 AM
Well thank you Tim. Yes, my reason for check raising would have been to get some people to fold. I only had top pair and there were 5 players. Perhaps if there were two suited on the flop, it wouldn't be out of the question...

Regarding the above comment, there was no doubt in my mind that someone would have bet the flop, but there's no way for the reader to know that I suppose.

NAU_Player
04-01-2005, 05:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Perhaps if there were two suited on the flop, it wouldn't be out of the question...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, it would be better to c/r the flop and give drawing hands incorrect odds to call. again, you have to know someone will bet behind you; but you also must be cognizant of the size of the pot - in this case, a flush draw would still be getting the odds to call which means that you are losing more in the long run by checkraising. In a smaller pot however, it would be correct to c/r.

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding the above comment, there was no doubt in my mind that someone would have bet the flop, but there's no way for the reader to know that I suppose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a good thing to know, and its good that you are being perceptive at your table. If you let us know what you are thinking in the hands you post, it's alot easier for us to critique your play and help you in the areas you need it.

-Tim

Russ McGinley
04-01-2005, 05:40 AM
Another time to think about a check-raise is when you flop a monster and you are in EP (or someone you are sure will bet has position on you). Lets say you have 88 and limp. Guy on your left raises, 4 callers, you call. Flop is 8-5-5. A check here is clearly in order. Original raiser will bet, and you can either smooth call when it gets back to you (and plan on check-raising the turn) or raise and trap all those other callers for additional bets.

btspider
04-01-2005, 12:14 PM
uh oh, not another wave of these posts. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bet flop. i hope you bet the river too.

davelin
04-01-2005, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you have a specific read about this, you have to let us know. If it's just "one of those feelings," I'm sorry but since you were the pre-flop aggressor and checked, there's a very good chance this will get checked through.

Plus check-raising the wrong person will give you the opposite effect of what you wanted, do you see possibly why?

bottomset
04-01-2005, 01:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
uh oh, not another wave of these posts. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

bet flop. i hope you bet the river too.

[/ QUOTE ]

FishHooks
04-01-2005, 01:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why do you want your opponents to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]

The pot is has 10 bets in it, you want people to push out people with gutshots or just bottom pair that are getting the correct odds to try to make 2 pair or trips, because right now they are getting correct odds to chase. Having said that, you can't check raise here, no one else showed agression preflop.

avisco01
04-01-2005, 01:24 PM
Against 5 opponents I'm not sure a check-raise would be your best bet (if you will). I highly doubt it will get checked around, and to me, I rarely go for a check-raise anyway, especially with a top pair hand against more than 3 opponents. I also don't check-raise for information too often, but mostly as a form of deception when I flop a strong hand that will likely hold up, like a big set against no obvious draws. In any event, I think you have to bet at it to see if someone is strong enough to play back. I had the exact same hand, AQo in a 5/10 game at the Foxwoods and raised, seeing only two callers. I made top pair but someone happened to make a set on me. Had I decided to go for a check-raise in this spot, I would have been three-bet by the player who made the set, thus I would know my hand is no good, but it would have cost me 2 bets for that information. If I bet out, and get raised, I'm sure my hand is no good, only costing myself one bet (I knew that the particular player who made the set wouldn't raise me unless he had the best hand on the flop after I had showed aggression from an early position). There is a slim chance that it does get checked around and someone could either A) catch a miracle card for two pair or something, or B) catch a card that improves their draw, thus increasing their chance of sucking out on you on the river. Also, at this limit ABC poker seems to be your best option. I try not to get too sophisticated against seemingly weak competition. There was a great chance you had the best hand on the flop, make them pay the best hand. In a long-winded way, no, check-raising is not a good idea here in my opinion.

doubleplus
04-01-2005, 03:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Had I decided to go for a check-raise in this spot, I would have been three-bet by the player who made the set, thus I would know my hand is no good, but it would have cost me 2 bets for that information. If I bet out, and get raised, I'm sure my hand is no good, only costing myself one bet (I knew that the particular player who made the set wouldn't raise me unless he had the best hand on the flop after I had showed aggression from an early position).

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just about to say his raising it to two doesn't tell much, before I saw your parenthetical elucidation. And stuff.

Thanks for the reply. I'm happy to know after the replies that I inadvertently made the right play. /images/graemlins/smile.gif