PDA

View Full Version : Selecting tournaments to play in

LethalRose
04-01-2005, 01:04 AM
Simple question here..

When determining the tournaments you play in, do you go by the buyin compared to your br, or the 1st place prize compared to your br, or both?

Example

I play in a tournmanent with a buyin X, I will win 100 buyins for placing first, which will increase my total BR by 30%, is this scenario acceptable?

or do you just play in every tournament you can regardless of buyin?

skoal2k4
04-01-2005, 01:10 AM
I play based on comfort level... right now, I play low buy-in tourneys (sub $40 buyin). I don't feel that I'm quite good enough to be competing with the big boys and girls. This is online of course. And I don't bother with rebuys because i'm tempted to play reckless and it becomes real expensive for me.

logogg
04-01-2005, 02:12 AM
If you only play MTT's, the decision probably should be a function of buy-in as a percentage of bankroll. It's nice to win a big tournament, but even the best players do so rarely. Focusing on how the top prize will increase your bankroll will be a disappointing venture.

I'm sure people will disagree, but I don't see significant difference in player ability in a smaller tournament (say ... 10K) and a bigger one (say ... 200K). In fact, the play at the Pacific Poker $1MM tournament was TERRIBLE ... even at the final table. Check that ... ESPECIALLY at the final table.

You will have to adjust your game between these tournaments, but I don't see one as "harder" than another.

So, if you have proven to cash in X% of tournaments, you have a *general* basis to predict what tournament level you can play without breaking your bankroll.

If you play more than MTT's, you should also factor in opportunity cost (i.e. can you get a higher hourly rate at a ring game or SNG's) and your general mood (i.e. what kind of game you feel like playing).

Roman
04-01-2005, 02:41 AM
I always do it as buyin