PDA

View Full Version : attn: IndieMatty

Joe826
04-01-2005, 12:19 AM
Can I get some more music suggestions? Everything i've heard you recommend has been money. I'm really into the chill stuff lately, like Minus The Bear. I also really like alot of the more upbeat stuff like The Format and Gratitude. I'd have made this a PM instead but I figured someone might find something they like, or have other suggestions. Thanks.

mmbt0ne
04-01-2005, 12:55 AM
Copeland. That should keep you busy for a while. Well, an LP and an EP's worth of time at least.

Joe826
04-01-2005, 01:06 AM
Have it already. I like them, too. Have you heard of Sleeping At Last? If not you should check them out, they're pretty good. Any other suggestions?

mmbt0ne
04-01-2005, 01:14 AM
Ok, so you have Minus the Bear, Copeland, Gratitude, and The Format. I have a feeling I'm going to whiff on all of these, but here it goes.

Do you have the first Phantom Planet cd, Phantom Planet is Missing?
Probably already have it, but Senses Fail's new cd is cool, and From the Depths of Dreams is awesome.
Schneids reminded me of The Zutons yesterday. Good stuff there.
Do you like more poppy sounding? The Matches maybe.
A little more screachy with My Chemical Romance.
Onelinedrawing is where the lead singer for Gratitude started, so you might want to check that out.

Any help yet?

Joe826
04-01-2005, 03:25 AM
Ah I don't have a few of these. I'll check them out. I do like MCR, and I used to like Senses Fail alot but since I've gotten into hardcore and found out what good screamy vocals sound like I can barely listen to them. Thanks

mmbt0ne
04-01-2005, 03:29 AM
Jesus, I didn't know hardcore was included in this musical request.

Start with Saosin, as you proabably already have Thursday, Recover, Thrice, etc. There are a lot more, but I'm tired and have a test tomorrow. Hopefully Matty stumbles across this thread later.

Joe826
04-01-2005, 03:33 AM
Hardcore is always included, but for this particular post I was more concerned with The Formatish type stuff. I do have tons of pop-punk/screamo type stuff like Thrice (prolly my favorite band of all time), but lately i've been listening to alot of true hardcore like Converge, As I Lay Dying, Everytime I Die, etc. Good stuff. Anyways thanks. Maybe i'll PM Matty if this thread gets way buried by tomorrow or somethin.

IndieMatty
04-01-2005, 06:54 PM
Ok. Ill reccomend some bands I havent mentioned before. As I pimp Minus The Bear continuosly. Off the top of my head, before Borgata:

Engine Down - especially the album Demure. If not everything.

Ashes - Female Poppy Hardcore band from DC - Hard to find.

Deadguy - awesoem noisecore, possible the best Hardcore band victory every put out. Check out Fixation on a co-worker. The new (not so much anymore) Dillenger is great, but actually I think you had that asy our avatar?

Texas is the Reason - Anything you can find. Everyone would like this.

Been listening to a lot of Explosions in the Sky, and Godspeed! You Black emperor lately. New Age Modern Cresendo Rock is my sarcastic term for these bands.

The new Temper Temper album off of revelation is pretty good upon first listen, if you are into the dance punk.

A lot of backlash in New York over The Bravery, but the album actually is pretty good if you like bands like theKillers and Franz Ferdinand. Same with Bloc Party/LCD Soundsystem.

The new Nationals record is pretty good, if you like Magnetic Fields 69 Love Songs.

1. Old Long Island Hardcore Stuff: Silent Majority, GlassJaw, Milhouse, Tripface, Clockwise, Sons Of Abraham. Hard to find; we'll set up a soulseek someday.

For the record my favorite band is probably Pinback. You should have everything they do.

Not too much new stuff. Lucas, MMBTONE, MacDaddy Warsaw, Jack of Arcades and SFer should contribute in this thread.

IndieMatty
04-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Anything Jonah Matranga has ever done. Far- Water and Solutions is tits.

Jack of Arcades
04-01-2005, 06:58 PM
Yeah, but dude, I've said everything before like 30 times. I don't have much new [censored], nor much hardcore.

sublime
04-01-2005, 07:29 PM
can i have a minus the bear must have list please? which album shall i buy/listen to first, or which songs?

KJS
04-01-2005, 07:35 PM
If you like Converge, try:

Botch--American Nervoso
Canvas--Canvas
Burn it Down--Eat, Sleep, Mate, Defend
Deadguy--Screaming with the Deadguy Quintet
Dismebodied--Heretic

KJS

mmbt0ne
04-01-2005, 07:36 PM
Ok, I'm well rested, well tested, and ready to throw a few more bands out there. Take them for what you will.

Music City Soundtrack - I am the Movie
Great CD, the singer's voice is definitely not something to write home about, but I love it. 1000 Paper Cranes, My Favorite Accident, and The Future Freaks Me Out are my favorite sonds.

The Movielife
Pinky Swear, Single White Female, Me and You vs. Them, all good stuff. Again, not a great singer, but great music.

a fir-ju well
Local Atlanta band that I really like. Seriously, anything you can find from them, just give it a shot.

Ozma
Weezer-lite. They have a song called Natalie Portman, so that has to count for some major points.

Hometown Hero - ST
Bleeds in Blue, Eighteen, Perfect Night, Questions, a good all around cd.

Brandston
Definitely not hardcore, and the stuff I have is pretty underproduced, but I enjoy it. I don't know how I heard them, but it's good.

Planes Mistaken for Stars
They have one of the coolest band names ever. I don't really dig the vocals, but the music is really good.

Also, if you don't have The Mars Volta - Frances the Mute yet, please go get it. Unfortunately my main source of new bands is gone for the weekend, so I can't add much more than this right now.

mason55
04-01-2005, 07:36 PM
Can we set up a 2+2 slsk room? I have a ton of WNY hXc that I'd like to trade for long island/nyc or west coast hXc

mmbt0ne
04-01-2005, 07:37 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
can i have a minus the bear must have list please? which album shall i buy/listen to first, or which songs?

[/ QUOTE ]

Get the cd Highly Refined Pirates. That's all I have right now, but it's awesome.

tdarko
04-01-2005, 07:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Ozma
Weezer-lite. They have a song called Natalie Portman, so that has to count for some major points.

[/ QUOTE ]
that whole "rock n roll" album kicks ass.

Patrick del Poker Grande
04-01-2005, 07:50 PM
Have you taken a listen to Autopilot Off? It's not anything that's going to change your life, but they're good. How about The Music?

Joe826
04-01-2005, 07:58 PM
Lots of good suggestions, this is gonna keep me busy for a while. Thanks everyone.

mason55
04-01-2005, 08:11 PM
if you want some stuff that's more electro but still chill check out the new albums by LCD Soundsystem and Out Hud. They're both chill in some parts and upbeat-make-you-wanna-dacnce in others.

KJS
04-02-2005, 08:19 PM
I have to download ipod agent and get all my music onto my new machine, but would be interested if you get it going. I have way way more metal than hardcore though.

KJS

mason55
04-02-2005, 08:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have to download ipod agent and get all my music onto my new machine, but would be interested if you get it going. I have way way more metal than hardcore though.

KJS

[/ QUOTE ]

Metal is good in my book