PDA

View Full Version : 99 in the BB with a preflop raise from villian...

emitch
04-01-2005, 12:15 AM
First hand so I didn't know much about the table, but I have seen villian before and they are pretty loose. PT says 75% VPIP in 38 hands.

Paradise Poker 0.25/0.50 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif. Hero posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, Hero (poster) calls, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls.

Flop: (12 SB) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>

I like this flop and hope that he raised with two overcards (or worse). I decide to raise to get rid of some (hopefully all) of the following players. Was this the correct move.

SB checks, BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

It worked, but will this be this successful enough to make it the proper play?

Turn: (9 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP3 calls.

I don't like the card but they checked to me and I am still counting on the villian playing overcards and they check, so I bet out. I also figured that unless they hit one of their overcards, they will check to me. I plan on checking too. If I check the turn, they will most likely bet into me on the river. This way I see the end for the same price. Is this correct or just weak??

River: (12 BB) 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>

Better card than I hoped for but my plan was to check and MP3 limping along had me a little worried that he might have had a small pair (66) before the river. Again, too weak or smart play?

UTG+1 checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 12 BB

Thanks,

mitch

KaiShin
04-01-2005, 12:22 AM
MP3 is certainly a concern, but there's no indication he has an actual hand. Why do you put him on 66 specifically? I think that might be a bit of the monsters syndrome.

I think you should bet this river for value.

Depending on UTG+1's raising standards, I might 3-bet this PF. Sure he's loose, but what have you seen him raise with from that position before?

scotty34
04-01-2005, 12:29 AM
I like all streets, except you probably could have bet the river. There is no indication you don't have the best hand.

MrWookie47
04-01-2005, 12:31 AM
You played it excellently up until the river. That's an easy river value bet buddy. As I've kept needing to remind myself, every time you don't bet the river for value, God kills a kitten.

No need to suspect a set (or especially quads). Unless you are up against total morons, you would have heard about a set on the turn. And if you are up against total morons, they're more likely to be packing junk, so you should be even more inclined to bet.

emitch
04-01-2005, 12:33 AM
Your probably right about the monster syndrome. I have been getting beat that way alot lately though. Thats why I was asking. After the fact, I felt like I should have raised.

Also a good point about his raising standards. I didn't really know at that point.

That brings up a question that I have had for a while. Does everyone really watch the table for 10-20 hands and remember that kind of thing for all of the players. I am an engineer (numbers, math oriented) and I have a hard time keeping track of all the players. Live, I do OK, but online with so many players on and off of the tables, I struggle. What do you suggest I do to sharpen these skills?

Thanks again,

mitch

RaiNz
04-01-2005, 12:37 AM
I think you can value bet the river here. Why do you put him on trips? He checked the river to you.

KaiShin
04-01-2005, 12:41 AM
I don't watch the tables before I play, but it is important to pay attention to hands you do not play. If you see players showdown a hand and its not what you thought it would be, make a note about it. Other tendencies such as "will raise with middle pair", or, "bets with two pair or more" are also useful to note. Notes combined with statistics can make sure you keep your reads on players straight.

emitch
04-01-2005, 12:43 AM
Thanks,

mitch