PDA

View Full Version : How bad is this play.

Nottom
03-31-2005, 10:25 PM
A friend of mine played this hand in the Empire 15K tonight.

No great reads to speak of but the PFR seems solid enough.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

UTG+2 (t1535)
MP1 (t1060)
MP2 (t725)
MP3 (t905)
CO (t1865)
Button (t810)
SB (t1430)
Hero (t1515)
UTG (t770)
UTG+1 (t430)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls t15, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO raises to t100</font>, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, UTG+2 folds.

Final Pot: t137.50

Superfluous Man
03-31-2005, 11:12 PM
If he's not going to play AK, what is he going to play? I understand he'll be first to act, but this is still totally weak. Even solid players will raise with less than AA/KK.

pokerraja
03-31-2005, 11:44 PM
I never think its exactly horrible to fold AK to raise. Im not saying its always correct to fold here either. I will admit this is a bit weak, but its ok, hes out of position on this hand, and hes not in any rush.

Crooked Paul
04-01-2005, 01:12 AM
There aren't many hands that have you beat here, percentage-wise. I'd totally call it and see a flop.

Crooked

Iconoclastic
04-01-2005, 01:35 AM
Reverse implied odds here. Push or fold. I like to win tourneys so I would push.

Roman
04-01-2005, 01:44 AM
Its prolly only slightly -EV to fold considering his range and your position, but I dont like passing edges, so I take it.

Nottom
04-01-2005, 03:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Reverse implied odds here. Push or fold. I like to win tourneys so I would push.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you seriously think pushing is the correct play, then you obviously don't like to win tourneys.

PukaPlaya
04-01-2005, 04:04 AM
It's one thing to fold AK to an all-in or a HUGE raise. This was super weak and he should have at least seen the flop. That raise to me means he COULD have AA or KK but most likely has a weaker hand like JJ. He also could have had AK or AQ as well.

See the flop.

Iconoclastic
04-01-2005, 09:08 PM
I don't know the average skill level at the Empire 15Ks, but in the ones I play in early on people raise with all kinds of hands, including ones you dominate, and will call a push. You also have folding equity against some medium PP for a decent sized pot. Also calling in bad position leaves you with nothing 70% of the time, and you're not going to get much out of a solid opponent if they see an overcard anyway.

billyjex
04-01-2005, 09:13 PM
I think I'd just call here and take a flop.

Nottom
04-01-2005, 09:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know the average skill level at the Empire 15Ks, but in the ones I play in early on people raise with all kinds of hands, including ones you dominate, and will call a push. You also have folding equity against some medium PP for a decent sized pot. Also calling in bad position leaves you with nothing 70% of the time, and you're not going to get much out of a solid opponent if they see an overcard anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Both players have 1500+ chips stacks so the pot is only about a 7% increase in stack size if Hero takes it down down. An all-in bet is a raise for 12X the pot. Yuk.

Jax_Grinder
04-01-2005, 09:21 PM
Hero needs to see the flop here. Folding is second best. Pushing is worst.

Why would you push w/ AK here?

1. The stacks are deep and a double up only marginally beneficial at this stage.

2. You will almost certainly find a better spot to get your money in the middle when there are less than 5 cards to come.

3. If pf raiser is, in fact, a quality player, he is not going to slough off chips here on a steal for T15. He has a hand and he wants chips in the pot.

There are other reasons, I guess, but those are off the top of my head...

Iconoclastic
04-02-2005, 03:19 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Both players have 1500+ chips stacks so the pot is only about a 7% increase in stack size if Hero takes it down down. An all-in bet is a raise for 12X the pot. Yuk.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not just the 7% increase in your stack. It's also a stronger table image and telling people to not [censored] with you unless they want to risk all their chips, less people bluffing into you, etc. I have done EV calculations for this sort of play so if you want to do your own to prove me wrong I welcome it because I don't want to repeat it again. It's very close between Pushing and Folding, and I'm an accumulator LAG, so I Push. Nothing wrong with Folding either.