PDA

View Full Version : iTunes/iPod question

Redmen62
03-31-2005, 10:22 PM
Just got my iPod mini last week, and iTunes is fantastic for ripping my CD's and getting them added. But for my downloaded mp3's (And I'm not talking about iTunes purchased ones), the files will not show up in my list even though I have them set to download to the itunes music directory. I use Limewire to download.

I can get the files to show up by clearing the entire list and adding the directory again, but this can take a minute or two each time, can't be done automatically and resets all my playcount information each time, which sucks.

Have those who also download using programs such as Limewire figured out a way to get those files into iTunes automatically?

I'd post in an iPod forum, but questions about mp3's of this nature are not acceptable in the forums I've seen.

Freakin
03-31-2005, 10:46 PM
My preferred way to do it.

1. Set limewire download directory to something different from itunes directory - "download"
2. Use Itunes to "consolidate library". This will create copies of all files added into itunes into the \itunes music directory.
3. Clear out your "download" folder
4. After every download session, add the entire "download" folder, consolidate library, and clear out your "download" folder again.

Let me know if this needs any clarification, it felt pretty muddled when I typed it.

Freakin

Redmen62
03-31-2005, 10:54 PM
I think I get it, and it looks like an upgrade over what I'm doing now. It sure would be nice to have things update on the fly a la Winamp, but I'm getting the impression that's not going to be possible, and by design.

Specifically, I leave limewire open, and download a song whenever it strikes my fancy (I listen to Radioparadise most of the time I'm playing), so I tend not to have download "sessions".

Thanks for the tips, unless a more elegant solution pops up it should be an improvement.

Freakin
03-31-2005, 11:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think I get it, and it looks like an upgrade over what I'm doing now. It sure would be nice to have things update on the fly a la Winamp, but I'm getting the impression that's not going to be possible, and by design.

Specifically, I leave limewire open, and download a song whenever it strikes my fancy (I listen to Radioparadise most of the time I'm playing), so I tend not to have download "sessions".

Thanks for the tips, unless a more elegant solution pops up it should be an improvement.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it is flawed by design. In a perfect world, all the songs on your ipod would be from the iTunes store, or from importing CDs (both of which will auto-update in your itunes directory). They don't care about anything else.

Freakin

ArchAngel71857
03-31-2005, 11:12 PM
do you not just choose your itunes to "add file to library" and select the file/foldr for your downloaded songs?

-AA

Patrick del Poker Grande
03-31-2005, 11:37 PM
What a pain in the ass these stupid things are.