PDA

View Full Version : out of the kiddy pool or a dumb move?

swolfe
03-31-2005, 09:47 PM
Party Poker Pot-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP1 ($512.25)
Hero ($623.26)
MP3 ($417.37)
CO ($371.35)
Button ($394)
SB ($245.4)
BB ($412)
UTG ($440.3)
UTG+1 ($120.1)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif. SB posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls $4, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $18</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls $18, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+1 calls $14.

Flop: ($60) 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $45</font>, Button calls $45, UTG+1 folds.

Turn: ($150) 5/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, Button checks.

River: ($150) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $75</font>, Button calls $75.

Final Pot: $300

george w of poker
03-31-2005, 11:28 PM
Pretty standard, but I generally wouldn't raise that hand in that early of a position.

I wonder what he had. An ace? Perhaps a pot size bet is warranted on the river.

beset7
03-31-2005, 11:36 PM
Not dumb. This is text book doyle brunson out-of-the-kiddie pool type aggression with small suited cards. Usually want to be in LP but I make moves like this from MP when the time is right (chip position, table dynamics, etc).

I think potting the turn is probably best but 1/2 the pot works. He probably had an Ace. Just hopefully not AdXd.

Borno
03-31-2005, 11:55 PM
can someone please explain why you have raised to 4.5xBB with 1 limper in MP with 9 7s?

I have totally missed this whole hand. the flop aggression is a total bluff here... you've been called.

Why not fire a second barrel on the turn? because now you have outs?!?!

this makes no sense to me.

the river bet seems far too large.

I can't rap my head around this but others are calling it standard.. please explain.

joewatch
04-01-2005, 02:53 AM
This looks right to me. Hope you won.

Yeknom58
04-01-2005, 03:22 AM
Preflop raise was kinda retarded after a limper. If you opened or were in LP, that's one thing but in MP after limpers, I don't like it, especially a EP limper.

Post flop looks nice though.

Bongo
04-01-2005, 03:22 AM
The flop is pretty standard. You raised pf and now you bet out representing a pair. Ordinary flop steal.

Turn is ok I think. You could bet but your opponent will call so why bet. Just hope he gives you good odds if he bets.

River: I think you made a good bet. There was no diamond draw on the flop. The straight on the board will make it very tempting for him to call. I put this player on a pocket pair. Perhaps he improved to trips and tried to extract the maximum out of you. After all, you represented a big pair with your pf and flop play.

Pre-flop: I don't like your raise at all. I think calling a raise from a big stack is good play if you're in position. In this situation, even if you catch a lucky flop, you might not make any money. You want your opponent to have a big pair or improve an AK when the flop really hits you. So here, if you want to play 79, why not see the flop cheaply. It won't make your opponents hands any worse so your implied profit is the same.

MarkL444
04-01-2005, 07:55 AM
i would need at least a slight read on the 3 players to my left. they need to be at least semi tight (&lt;30vpip). if i get called i want position on everybody.

MarkL444
04-01-2005, 07:57 AM
this post would have been better if you ended it with your bet. knowing he called and didnt raise everyone knows that you very likely won and they are all gonna say "oh great hand blah blah blah".

swolfe
04-01-2005, 10:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Preflop raise was kinda retarded after a limper. If you opened or were in LP, that's one thing but in MP after limpers, I don't like it, especially a EP limper.

Post flop looks nice though.

[/ QUOTE ]

the three players to my left were very tight (&lt; 20%), and the one limper was a loose-passive who played any ace and any two suited.

TheCat
04-01-2005, 10:20 AM
I'm with you on this one

swolfe
04-01-2005, 10:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Turn is ok I think. You could bet but your opponent will call so why bet. Just hope he gives you good odds if he bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly my thought. he thinks he has me pegged on a big pair or AK, which generally want to play a smaller pot. i checked hoping he'd price me in for my double-gutter.

[ QUOTE ]
River: I think you made a good bet. There was no diamond draw on the flop. The straight on the board will make it very tempting for him to call. I put this player on a pocket pair. Perhaps he improved to trips and tried to extract the maximum out of you. After all, you represented a big pair with your pf and flop play.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's exactly what i put him on...a pocket pair that may or may not have made a set. he might even have a big pocket pair like QQ or JJ. he'd have played back at me preflop or on the flop with AA/KK.

turns out he had 55 and turned a set. he made a HUGE mistake in checking behind the turn and another one calling my river bet. i guess he figured it'd be a split pot.

[ QUOTE ]
Pre-flop: I don't like your raise at all. I think calling a raise from a big stack is good play if you're in position. In this situation, even if you catch a lucky flop, you might not make any money. You want your opponent to have a big pair or improve an AK when the flop really hits you. So here, if you want to play 79, why not see the flop cheaply. It won't make your opponents hands any worse so your implied profit is the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

i raised because the 3 players to act after me had been very, very tight and the one limper was loose passive (64/1) and i wanted to steal and improve my shania.

since i ended up having to show it down though, i'm not sure it it helped shania or just made me look like a maniac /images/graemlins/smile.gif

TheCat
04-01-2005, 10:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is text book doyle brunson out-of-the-kiddie pool type aggression

[/ QUOTE ]

You better wait until you are playing 20/40 dollar blinds before applying Brunson style aggression. You try it in a small stakes game you just get called down nearly every time. Make your money by letting the other guys play like Brunson. There are times to be aggressive in these games but this isn't it. 79 suited is NOT a rasing hand you want as many callers as possible then hope to hit on the flop, if you don't then get away from it.

etgryphon
04-01-2005, 10:54 AM
I think this could go either way...

I think if you truly knew what you were doing (which I believe you did) I think this is a good play. You really were only risking $45 in my opinion on this hand on the flop. I am hoping that you would have dumped those cards if you had gotten a raise on the turn. That is were your opponent made his mistake, but in how you played the hand PF and Post-Flop you definately had him pegging you for an overpair.

I think that the reasons that this was a good move:
1. Tight players after you
2. Keeping control
3. Deep Stacks
4. Awareness to dump on the Turn if bet into or if the river didn't help.

I like the bet on the end.

Its a ballsy move. Glad it worked out. But you know if it didn't come at the end a bunch of people would have said that you suck. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Looks like it is Adult Swim Time...

-Gryph

swolfe
04-01-2005, 10:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am hoping that you would have dumped those cards if you had gotten a raise on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

absolutely, and i would have typed "damn, my AA always gets cracked!" right before i fold. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

KowCiller
04-01-2005, 11:08 AM
Nice play all around. I like it, especially when you manage to get AA or KK shortly thereafter and people think "there's no way he can have a big pair AGAIN, I call!"

[ QUOTE ]
absolutely, and i would have typed "damn, my AA always gets cracked!" right before i fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Perfecto!

KoW