PDA

View Full Version : surprising flurry of action on the river

rhinoceros
10-19-2002, 12:58 PM
$3-6 online, 4 handed, I am in the SB with Ks 8h. UTG and button limp, as do I.

flop:

Kd Tc 4d

I check. The button has been very aggressive so I expect to check raise. This may chase out gutshot draws or Ax that can beat me on the turn. Not sure which flush draws may play even for 2 bets. Anyway, all check. Ooops.

Turn:
Kd Tc 4d 8s

What a beautiful card. I check. I'm sure the button can't resist a bet if all check to him. sure enough, both check to the button who bets. I flat call. I expect I am way ahead and am happy to get an overcall. Alas, both fold.

River:
Kd Tc 4d 8s 2h

I check, button bets, I raise, he 3 bets, I cap. He shows 98.

What happened? Maybe he figured my raise on the river was trying to catch a bluff despite having a worthless hand. But then he would merely call.

Ikke
10-19-2002, 06:01 PM
With everyone limping in preflop, I would rather bet out then go for a check-raise. Especially when button is aggressive there will be a good chance (with some callers) that he will raise a lot of draws allowing you to 3-bet. And also note that if button is somewhat reasonable he will not bluff as much when checked to because of the number of players in. Furthermore, when button is very aggressive he will raise a lot of hands preflop, especially hands with high card strength. His preflop limp shows weakness, and probably indicates some cheesy (drawing) hand. But he might have made some kind of draw with it where he will often raise with (even maybe gutshots hoping for a free card).

On the turn it's close. In this kind of situations you should often steal (you now actually HAVE a hand, but suppose you didnt), because you are the only one who could actually HAVE a hand AND check the flop (assuming your opponents are reasonably aggressive and not too funky). So your turnbet should often take the pot right there. But, ofcourse, you should also bet some real hands there, so that favours betting. Another advantage of betting is that you judgement might be off and that it will get checked through whereas people might had called when you had bet.

Checking is better when your opponents are most likely behind and will not call your bet. So a bit of judgement here how people perceive you in the game.

Ofcourse button was way out of line on the river. His 3-bet makes absolutely no sense.

Regards

P.S. I would probably not have called preflop with a $1 SB.

Dynasty
10-19-2002, 07:31 PM
Why do you want to chase out gut-shot straight draws and Ax who would only bet getting 5:1 to call your flop bet? As always, you want you opponents to make incorrect decisions. Calling your flop bet with either of those hands would be incorrect.

You should have bet the flop and the turn.