PDA

View Full Version : The iMsoLucky0 10+1 Mentor Challenge.

iMsoLucky0
03-31-2005, 07:55 PM
Here's the deal: I plan on teaching one of my best friends to play SNGs. His poker experience has been limited to $5.00 buyin games with some of our other friends. So basically, he has no experience at all. He has alot of experience with other games though. When he sets his mind to learning a game, he can be very focused and learn at a rapid rate. He has never had much money though, and I'm not sure how he will react to the gambling aspects.

My goals are to teach him to 4-table the 10+1s with a ROI of 20%+ in 1 month time. I am not sure exactly how much time he will be able to put in to playing, but like I said, when he is determined to learn something he can focus very hard and put in alot of time. I don't think he will have any trouble at all learning the game, but I'm not real sure how long it will take.

Does anyone else have any experience teaching someone with no background in poker? Anyone have any tips? I know people here teach others alot, and I'm sure that there have been posts about this in the past. I'm real interested to see what everyone else has to say about this.

raptor517
03-31-2005, 07:59 PM
yea, its not too hard. if they have any idea how to play poker, they can beat the 10+1s. if you show them 2+2 and they are willing to learn, then they can turn into winning players without too much work. let me know how it goes, and pm me or aim me if u got any qs, im workin on teaching my roomate to beat them right now, hes doing great /images/graemlins/wink.gif holla

TheUsher
03-31-2005, 08:08 PM
While we're at it, anyone got tips on teaching a girlfriend to play? She likes the cash aspect of winning (think: clothes, shoes, !@(*#) so she wants to learn. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

TheUsher
03-31-2005, 08:10 PM
Oh yeah the original post. Let them watch some of your tourneys in the replayer and let them watch you while you play. I realize that the games you're at are different than the 10's but it's a start. There's a lot of similar situations that you could teach them how to handle. Also, give them something like pt+playerview or pokeroffice+livetracker overlay and teach them how to read the #'s. That alone will same them many bad calls and such from uber-tight rocks and know which fish to play with.

raptor517
03-31-2005, 08:37 PM
bah, my girlfriend hates it. she thinks im wasting time and always gambling.. and she hates the fact that im taking a semester off school. oh well, maybe shell want to learn some day. holla

Degen
03-31-2005, 09:31 PM
i read an old post by Gigabet that said something to the effect of it being possible to write a one page document that if followed correctly would beat the 10+1's...and that if a person had no prior poker knowledge it would HELP.

I agree 100% w/ this sentiment.

I have a friend who played the 50NL cash games a great deal...and won a lot of money. He was break even at best tho in the SNG's. The problem was he was applying the same strategy.

I gave him the basics in a very short coaching period over a week or so. He's now 4-tabling the 30+3's with a higher ROI than me.

It is not a difficult concept. These are so easy to beat.
The problem is that most people find the SNG's after years of traditional poker and cannot apply proper winning principles to make them winnners.

If a player can forget what they think they know about poker and apply some very basic principles...it would not be at all difficult to dominate the 10+1 to 30+3 PP SNG's in a very short period of time.

Degen

Degen

kyro
04-01-2005, 02:40 AM
iMsoLucky,

I suck at ring games. a mutual friend of yours and mine taught me how to average 10-20% ROI at the 50s. i'm sure you could teach this guy how to crush the 10+1s in about a week. just make sure he understand the concept of pushing with any two late /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Apathy
04-01-2005, 05:09 AM
This really shouldnt be hard for you, I have told people that I could teach someone who can beat the 10+1 to beat the 50+5 in one 12 hour session and I really believe that.

Teaching people to beat the 10+1 is a joke, just get them to read aleo maguses guide and they will kill the games.

TheUsher
04-01-2005, 05:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This really shouldnt be hard for you, I have told people that I could teach someone who can beat the 10+1 to beat the 50+5 in one 12 hour session and I really believe that.

Teaching people to beat the 10+1 is a joke, just get them to read aleo maguses guide and they will kill the games.

[/ QUOTE ]

These last 2 posts makes me want to move up as it seems that the 50's are too damn easy. Or is it I should be happy that they're easy. Hmmm. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

(tired as hell from playing today)

BTW, is it just me or do the 12am pacific time and on games are crazy as hell. Lots of multi-tablers but the fish are incredible. I need to start playing these things.

Scuba Chuck
04-01-2005, 01:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, is it just me or do the 12am pacific time and on games are crazy as hell. Lots of multi-tablers but the fish are incredible. I need to start playing these things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm, what level is this. Come 2:30AM CST, the fish dry up for me at the $33s. Perhaps I should be fishing someplace else.

TheUsher
04-01-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmm, what level is this. Come 2:30AM CST, the fish dry up for me at the $33s. Perhaps I should be fishing someplace else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I see it a lot of times at the 50's and whenever I'm awake those times I try to play some of the games. I might just be seeing some weird games here but what I usually see is less games, still some good multi-tablers, but also some real crazy fish. This might be due to the fact that since there are less games the fish might not have many places to go to, but wow they're incredible sometimes (drunk maybe?). You really just have to watch out for the multi-tablers then it's a cake walk. PM me if you want and I'll give you some nicks to avoid if possible. I poker prophecy'ed them and it looks like the regulars do really well since ITM's are all 40%-45% but obviously it could be off.

raptor517
04-01-2005, 03:20 PM
usher what level do you play? i was under the impression that you played the 55s and 109s. holla

TheUsher
04-01-2005, 03:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
usher what level do you play? i was under the impression that you played the 55s and 109s. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

4-table the 55's. Might start the 109's soon starting May (I'm gone most of April). 55's seem like the sweet spot for me right now in terms of $$$ wise but I'll give the 109's a shot to learn from.

iMsoLucky0
04-12-2005, 02:53 AM
So I taught him to play this last weekend. Starting on Friday, I put 550 in a poker account and set it up as his. First, I had him read Aleo's guide, and outlined the basics for the tournaments. Then I played in front of him for about 2 hours, explaining all of my moves. Next I let him play for quite a while, but he would have to clear all his moves with me first. After the first day, the account was up about 100 bucks on about 20 tournaments, but most of that was me practically playing every tournament.

The next day I let him play some more, but only had him ask me questions on tough decisions. Ended the day down 50 on about 20 tournaments.

At the end of that day, I let him loose. Since then, he has played around 40 on his own and is up over 200 bucks.

He really seems to be taking to it, and has a determination to win. I'm thinking that right now he is already around a 25% ROI, but we'll see as he has just started keeping stats.

It definitely was easier to teach him to beat them as opposed to someone with prior poker knowledge. The most important things for him to understand were stack sizes, blinds, position, and fold equity. Those were what I tried to drill to his head, and he didn't try and argue when I told him it was correct to push with 73 off from the button. He just tried to understand it and remember when to do it next time.

I'll update more after his first 100 logged tournaments /images/graemlins/smile.gif

hummusx
04-12-2005, 09:14 AM
I always thought this was exactly what I needed to kick me from mediocre to great. 1 day of an expert's time watching me play and smacking the back of my head when I did something wrong (followed by an explanation, of course). Of course, I don't know anyone that plays (not seriously anyway) so I'm doing it the more painful way. Tell your friend to be appreciative!

rickr
04-12-2005, 09:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I always thought this was exactly what I needed to kick me from mediocre to great. 1 day of an expert's time watching me play and smacking the back of my head when I did something wrong (followed by an explanation, of course). Of course, I don't know anyone that plays (not seriously anyway) so I'm doing it the more painful way. Tell your friend to be appreciative!

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto

Later,
Rick

Maulik
04-12-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i read an old post by Gigabet that said something to the effect of it being possible to write a one page document that if followed correctly would beat the 10+1's...and that if a person had no prior poker knowledge it would HELP.

I agree 100% w/ this sentiment.

I have a friend who played the 50NL cash games a great deal...and won a lot of money. He was break even at best tho in the SNG's. The problem was he was applying the same strategy.

I gave him the basics in a very short coaching period over a week or so. He's now 4-tabling the 30+3's with a higher ROI than me.

It is not a difficult concept. These are so easy to beat.
The problem is that most people find the SNG's after years of traditional poker and cannot apply proper winning principles to make them winnners.

If a player can forget what they think they know about poker and apply some very basic principles...it would not be at all difficult to dominate the 10+1 to 30+3 PP SNG's in a very short period of time.

Degen

Degen

[/ QUOTE ]

My feelings on the philosophy of poker can be summed up form this situation:

I entered an Omaha Hi/Lo tourament by accident and was asking a bjillion questions how to play, etc. Then when I placed in the money one of the guys is like, a true card player can play any game. So I feel as though, if they can't make adjustments to tournament play they probably aren't very good anyways... if they are unable to break LL PP SNGs?

Chaos81
04-12-2005, 10:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Ditto

Later,
Rick

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm going to give a big old X3 to this. I really wish my friends knew what they were doing. Some do, but they aren't even as good as I am, and I suck.

Blarg
04-12-2005, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's the deal: I plan on teaching one of my best friends to play SNGs. His poker experience has been limited to $5.00 buyin games with some of our other friends. So basically, he has no experience at all. He has alot of experience with other games though. When he sets his mind to learning a game, he can be very focused and learn at a rapid rate. He has never had much money though, and I'm not sure how he will react to the gambling aspects.

My goals are to teach him to 4-table the 10+1s with a ROI of 20%+ in 1 month time. I am not sure exactly how much time he will be able to put in to playing, but like I said, when he is determined to learn something he can focus very hard and put in alot of time. I don't think he will have any trouble at all learning the game, but I'm not real sure how long it will take.

Does anyone else have any experience teaching someone with no background in poker? Anyone have any tips? I know people here teach others alot, and I'm sure that there have been posts about this in the past. I'm real interested to see what everyone else has to say about this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now that's a good friend. Cool thing to do!

dfan
04-19-2005, 08:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
S...
I'll update more after his first 100 logged tournaments /images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

And so.... how is your friend doing?

valenzuela
04-19-2005, 08:25 PM
Can u teach a minor from a third-world country to beat the 55s?

Blarg
04-19-2005, 08:45 PM
Sorry, he only knows how to read cards written in English.