PDA

View Full Version : Am I on tilt?

Nicok7
03-31-2005, 06:09 PM
Hi everyone. I am currently having one of my worst serie of the year and I am trying to stay cool. Could you let me know what do you think of this hand? Thanks

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP3 (t815)
CO (t885)
Button (t755)
SB (t845)
BB (t800)
Hero (t785)
UTG+1 (t825)
UTG+2 (t800)
MP1 (t720)
MP2 (t770)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t50</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 raises to t175</font>, MP2 calls t175, MP3 calls t175, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls t125.

Flop: (t722.50) 8/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero pushes all in, MP1 calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds.

Turn: (t722.50) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

River: (t722.50) T/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>

Final Pot: t722.50

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
Hero has Qc Qd (two pair, queens and threes).
MP1 has Ks Kd (two pair, kings and threes).
Outcome: MP1 wins t722.50. </font>

The Yugoslavian
03-31-2005, 06:13 PM
If you have to ask the question, then yes, you probably are on tilt - however, what's just as important as what *degree* of tilt you're on.

As for your hand, it is certainly one way to play it. It's not the way I'd play it though (I'd possibly fold pre-flop, push pre-flop, or be more cautious on the flop).

Also, there is a very good chance your 'worst series of the year' isn't actually bad, it's just that you don't know what a bad series actually is. So, ignore your 'series' and just keep trying to make better and better decisions. That would be more helpful.

Yugoslav

pokerlaw
03-31-2005, 06:17 PM
Before I read the white, I knew how you lost (actually, I guessed AA or KK). Why didn't you? The fact that you are the 4th person (repeat, 4th!) to pay to see the flop for 175 should set off bells and whistles in your head. 1 loose cannon? definetly possible. 2? 50/50. 3? Highly, HIGHLY doubtful. As to how I would play it:

I like the initial PF raise. I would probably, 80% or so of the time, call the 175 (While my gut would say to muck, I can regrettably be quite stubborn). However, without a Q on the flop, its time to let the hand go. good luck.

pooh74
03-31-2005, 06:22 PM
I'd possibly fold pre-flop

*does double take*

Really?

(Consider thread officially hijacked)

stupidsucker
03-31-2005, 06:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Am I on tilt?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe....

How did you react to losing?

Do you normaly play this different?

What I dont understand is why you felt it dangerous to push preflop, but not on that flop?.. If someone does have AA, or KK then they are most likely not laying their hand down even if they dont have a heart.

If you arent going to push that preflop then you simply cant push on that flop. Only 2 hands have you dominated preflop, but on that flop you add a few scary hands to be afraid of.

Wu36
03-31-2005, 06:28 PM
After all the cold callers, I'd be in push/fold mode too.

pooh74
03-31-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
After all the cold callers, I'd be in push/fold mode too.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was my bad...i had hero and reraiser switched on the preflop betting....i thought Yugo meant fold fold to the raise to t50.

Im too tired...

nova
03-31-2005, 06:42 PM
Looks to be early in the tournament, as that stack size seems to be pretty consistent. With QQ out of position, you probably don't want a whole lot of opponents. Possibly bet larger (6x the bb) to push out a few opponents. Early on, I'm guessing that the other 2 callers who dropped out had some high cards (KQ? AJ?) or decent suited connectors that were NOT hearts.

People will take risks early on, and some people will call a raise and then a reraise with some pretty terrible hands. THey miss the flop, they get out of the way.

One possible way to play this could have been to raise a little more up front. Obviously the KK would have reraised you, however you might have been able to eliminate one caller.

Even if you played preflop the same, you are looking at a stack of 615 early on in the tournament: don't need to blow yourself out so early. A bet of around 25% of the pot (probing bet) could tell you a lot of what will happen. Say you bet around 200, leaving you with around 400 (approx 26 bb, so not in panic mode yet). You get reraised all in by KK, two folds, then it's up to your judgement. Why would someone push that hard this early? either stone bluff or monster.

I can understand trying to push it out, but at the time of moving your chips in, there were possibly 3 callers (assuming everyone calls). Hawt 4 way action with QQ online isn't always a good situation, esp when you haven't flopped the 3rd Q. my .02

Nicok7
03-31-2005, 06:46 PM
Thanks for answers!

The thinking behind the play (by the way did I mention it is a $30+3?) is that probably the reraiser is on a big Ace (lack of considering a big PP is obiously a tilt) and the people on $30 could call with medium pair or a hand like KJ.

So at this point I realize my Queens are not in an ideal spot, and decide to see the flop.

With more concentration, so early in the tournament, I know believe it is probably a fold, I agree with what has been said. Either way with so many callers It's gotta be a huge mistake to push, no that I think of it: as well as the chance of being beaten by KK or AA, loose players will call with a flush or a flush draw with 2 overcards, not giving me good $EV in the tournament.

Hopefuly I go calmer on the "All in" for the rest of the evening.. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

stupidsucker
03-31-2005, 08:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Looks to be early in the tournament, as that stack size seems to be pretty consistent. With QQ out of position, you probably don't want a whole lot of opponents.

[/ QUOTE ]

People are so afraid if they bet too much they will get no action on a hand like QQ... Who cares? Bets with AA,KK,QQ should be BIG preflop(imnsho). This iwll get you paid more for your bigger hands in the long run. lower pairs and even idiots with AJ, KQ, still just have to call you, or better yet push on you. I used to fold QQ to reraises all in, but I have since changed that, and it has been working for me so far.... If you are one that folds QQ to an all in preflop then I reccomend do your own research before following my advice here.

yoadrians
03-31-2005, 08:35 PM
QQ loses to KK. It happens.

My problem with the way this hand was played is the pre-flop raise to 50. Way, way, way too low - even if you were the first one to raise it up. A raise to the 75-100 range, at that level I think, weeds out some of the other hands I might pay to see flops with for 50(low PPs, etc.). And, when someone comes over the top of that - like MP1 will - you can be safe in a read that puts your Villain on AA, KK, JJ or AK. And if he's making a move on you with something less and you wind up laying it down, well, so be it ... you'll have plenty of time to bust the gambler.

Your flop play, with four to the flop, I just don't like the open push. Because you are still behind AA and KK, but now you're also behind the very real possibility of a set, someone could be four to the flush, blah blah blah.

But, yeah, QQ does lose to KK most of the time. If you really are on Tilt, this isn't the hand that would tell you that you are.

Keep your chin up.

theredpill5
03-31-2005, 08:40 PM
Wow, I didn't realize that people folded QQ to all-in raises preflop ? Geez, that had to hurt your EV. Hell, I've called JJ all-in preflop. I suppose it depends on the situation and who the guy is. Do an Equity analysis on QQ vs AK, AQ, AJ, JJ,KK, AA, . This is what I got:
It's certainly +EV against the typical party poker player, IMO

equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)

Hand 1: 56.5991 % [ 00.56 00.01 ] { QQ }
Hand 2: 43.4009 % [ 00.42 00.01 ] { AA-JJ, AKs-AJs, AKo-AJo }

---

stupidsucker
03-31-2005, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wow, I didn't realize that people folded QQ to all-in raises preflop ? Geez, that had to hurt your EV. Hell, I've called JJ all-in preflop. I suppose it depends on the situation and who the guy is. Do an Equity analysis on QQ vs AK, AQ, AJ, JJ,KK, AA, . This is what I got:
It's certainly +EV against the typical party poker player, IMO

equity (%) win (%) / tie (%)

Hand 1: 56.5991 % [ 00.56 00.01 ] { QQ }
Hand 2: 43.4009 % [ 00.42 00.01 ] { AA-JJ, AKs-AJs, AKo-AJo }

---

[/ QUOTE ]

This is assuming that people will push with JJ as well as hands as low as AQ-AJ. It is limit dependent. There have been arguments that the FE later is not worth the call now against a possible AA-KK and even AK.

It is safe to say that at the 10s-30s it is a call most all of the time it is guaronteed to be HU. When you move up in limit or take in consideration that there are other people to act behind you then the numbers chance. I am unsure of where the line should be drawn.